Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[MASTER THREAD]: Preferred vs. Choice Seats

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:47 pm

Programs: US Plat
Originally Posted by USFlyer26
I'm willing to bet that they're just showing as occupied.
Yes, that is what they are doing. It's like a little game US has provided for Preferreds...
...bet you can't guess which seats are Choice!!!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:58 pm

Programs: American Executive Platinum, One World Emerald, IC Royal Ambassador
[QUOTE=dcpatti;13767991]Got this response today:

Dear Ms. DCPatti,
Thank you for your comments regarding our Choice Seats program, and the example of your situation. The feedback from our Chairman's Preferred members is being documented and will be shared in a written reports to our executive management team. Yours is included in our report today.
We apologize for the challenges this has created for you. I hope we will be able to continue assisting you with your future air travel needs.
XXXX / Supervisor
Chairman's Preferred / Club Services

I got THIS canned response this week that didn't even acknowledge my Chairman Status or anything. It was more like a lecture trying to explain to a toddler why this is beneficial. This letter really rankled me.

Dear shopfranceinc,

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations at US Airways. We appreciate
this opportunity to address your concerns regarding our new Preferred
Seats program. On March 12, 2010 we started the new Preferred Seat
program which allows our Dividend Miles Preferred members to choose
their seats from a separate inventory prior to checking in for their
flight.

This change still allows our Preferred members to select the most
desirable seats on the aircraft. in advance. Non-preferred passengers
must wait until checking in to purchase the most sought-after seats.
Preferred seats are the seats in the front of Coach and in the exit rows
that only Preferred members can book prior to check-in at no charge. Our
Goal is to give Preferred members more access to the best seats in Coach
at the time you book your flight.

Non-Preferred members can only book Choice Seats, combined with
Preferred seats beginning 24 hours before scheduled departure. Because
most Preferred members already have their seat assignments prior to the
check-in window, Preferred members will still have access to the best
seats in Coach.

At this time, Preferred members can only purchase Choice Seats at check
in. Later this year Preferred members will be able to purchase Choice
Seats prior to check-in. The price for Choice Seats varies by
destination and length of flight, and starts at $5 per flight. We can't
guarantee there will always be Preferred seats left on every flight, but
overall Preferred members should have as many, if not more seats to
choose from than in the past. This option will allow our preferred
members the option to purchase a Choice Seat when all of the Preferred
Seats on a particular flight have been selected. US Airways offers
Preferred Seats on all flights with the exception of our Shuttle
Flights. There have been no changes made to the handling Preferred
Seating on Shuttle flights.

Your concerns regarding this change to our Preferred and Choice Seat
programs have been thoroughly documented and forwarded to the Dividend
Miles Department for review and consideration of possible changes in the
future. Comments and concerns from our customers are considered a vital
link to the continued growth and success of US Airways.

I hope the change and the information provided will be helpful in
understanding our new Preferred Seat Policies. We appreciate the
opportunity to address your concerns and hope you continue to choose US
Airways as your preferred carrier.

Sincerely,
[Name Removed]
Representative, Customer Relations
US Airways Corporate Office

Last edited by vysean; Apr 16, 2010 at 3:15 pm Reason: we don't post non-management employee names...
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:16 pm

Ding, Dong, the witch may be dead?!?!

Just tried a booking in May with a domestic leg and an international leg - and I am able to reserve exit row seats on all legs.

The message also says "exit row seat assignment are available exclusively to Preferred DM members at any time after booking"
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
It seems like all seats maps I was checking for flights tomorrow, next week and November 2010 only have the purple Preferred seats, exit row seats and regular seats. There are no choice seats or messages saying I will have to pay at check-in. I can select any available seat!

-Kinglobjaw
No, you can't.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:47 pm

This is a screw

When I went to select a seat for my usual Friday night flight all the good seats showed booked and I was in 20F. I couldn't change it. I called preferred desk and they changed me to exit row. I wasn't upgraded (1st time in weeks) and now it shows plenty of open choice seats which they're offering to sell me for $5?

I wonder if they're also now saving some 1st class seats for last minute purchase by non elites for $50 since this is the 1st time I haven't been upgraded in ages.

God I hate this airline. It's like they have weekly how to screw your best customer meetings.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:57 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Just a reminder-- send your complaints to US. Call them, email them, submit them online. If you fly with another carrier, let US know how much revenue they lost. Don't post complaints here and not take it further. They will never change this if we don't bury them in complaints.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:31 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I'd like to make one other point about the Southwest's preferred boarding + open seating versus preferred seating: Different people prefer different kinds of seats.

Preferred seating requires that some seats be designated as preferred. Customers who prefer to sit in the back of the aircraft cannot be charged for a preferred seat. They might, however, purchase preferred boarding on Southwest in order to avoid a middle seat or being tied to a computer at T-24.

This is probably a minor difference in the grand scheme of things. On a recent trip I bought the Early Bird check in for a family member very late in the game, only 3 days before the flight. As one of the last Early Birds, I still drew a number no more than 15 from the A-listers. Southwest probably had 15 or fewer sales of EBCI even at the $10 price, for a 2.5-hour flight out of Orlando! I would have expected three times as many sales given the difficulty that tourists have getting to a computer at T-24.

Anyway, back to my "different strokes" point, I think US should set aside just a few Preferred and Choice seats toward the back of the aircraft or in other odd locations to allow those with unusual seating preferences to indulge themselves and pay for the privilege. Maybe center aisle seats with a guarantee that the adjacent seat will be one of the last released to the public?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:43 am

Be happy to

Originally Posted by dcpatti
Just a reminder-- send your complaints to US. Call them, email them, submit them online. If you fly with another carrier, let US know how much revenue they lost. Don't post complaints here and not take it further. They will never change this if we don't bury them in complaints.
Although this is an airline that seems to focus on dreaming up new ways to try and nickel and dime passengers to extract more $$ without adding more value, and makes a sport of messing with their best customers. I imagine they know they've been able to all but monopolize certain routes and have much of their customer base (like me) trapped into flying them.

Where should we email comments?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:55 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by ramblers63
Ding, Dong, the witch may be dead?!?!

Just tried a booking in May with a domestic leg and an international leg - and I am able to reserve exit row seats on all legs.

The message also says "exit row seat assignment are available exclusively to Preferred DM members at any time after booking"
I'm not sure of your point. Exit row seats should still be available to Preferreds. This "Choice Seat" policy change should not have affected exit-row availabililty.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:59 am

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
You can either go to the Customer Relations portion of the US Website:

http://www2.usairways.com/en-US/cont...relations.html

Also, you can email your respective Preferred Desk (Email address on the back of your Preferred card), or send a comment to [email protected].
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
About the Form Letters

I spoke with a really nice woman at US today. She *called* me based on a complaint email I sent. Which was quite a pleasant surprise!

brought up the subject of the form letters. She explained the form letter thing as a company policy; they want to send a consistent message in all replies, and also avoid grammatical/spelling mistakes. So there's only so much customization that is allowed.

She said they have to put a tracking code on each incoming contact (phone, mail, web) and if the tracking code is an issue that requires escalation, it goes on its own up the chain.

So that model is pretty much like the way we did things when I supported a big Government call center, which is nice to know, as it makes me more confident that things are not getting put in the circular file. Although a broader selection of form letters might make things seem less "canned."

She also said that lots of people are asking for this change to be rethought and they're getting a lot of feedback. While that doesn't mean it's actually going to be changed back, I think it's definitely worth the time it takes to write or call every time this change bothers you, especially if you can attach a dollar value to it.

One thing that I included in my email was the fact that, as a CP, this year I nominated a diehard Delta fan to US Silver, and he's been flying US ever since; and when I met my boyfriend, he was a longtime AirTran fan but I converted him over to US. With the personal travels we have planned this year, he'll make Platinum for sure and maybe even CP. Reminding them that losing one elite often costs them more than just what that elite spends might help your message get the right visibility.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman, PetSmart PetPerks Elite
I spoke with a really nice woman at US today. She *called* me based on a complaint email I sent. Which was quite a pleasant surprise!
Thanks for the report Patti! I try to keep a positive outlook on things. I also feel that US has many quality employees. Sure there has been alot of negative stuff happening to the Preferred program, but my personal experience with US continues to be good. Just last week enroute to Seattle, the NS from PHL to SEA at 5:50 was cancelled due to maintenance issues. At 3:00 pm, or so, Pam at the CP line spent 45 minutes on the phone with me, shuttling back and forth between me and her supervisors, and got me routed through LAS, with an AK flight LAS-SEA (arrived a bit over 3 hours behind original schedule, not too bad considering I was already 2 legs into my trip when I got the automated voicemail telling me of the canx). It was a FC award ticket, and shortly after my return on Tuesday. I received a call from the CP desk that they were re-depositing 25,000 miles back into my account due to my difficulties. It was a low end award booking..so I was FC on 3 out of 5 possible legs (including the SEA-PHL redeye return) for 25,000 miles. It is hard to complain about that kind of service.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:59 pm

Programs: US AIR Chairmans, HHonors, CO Gold
Writing into CP Line

I got the same canned response as everyone else. I know of 5 people who have written in about this issue. What Patti said is true. I have converted 5 people over to US Air and have been a CP for 6 years now but the change in upgrade policy (making it where you have to be on the same booking number, changed without announcing it to preferred), this choice seat craziness and not having some type of discount for change fees for preferred is ridiculous. They have got to make it easier to make these changes for their best customers. SEND YOUR EMAILS INTO YOUR DESK. This changes are just STUPID.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K

...and also avoid grammatical/spelling mistakes.
LOL!!! That is an occupational hazard at US Customer Relations! Maybe they should just train their staff to use spell check and grammar check.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by SS255
LOL!!! That is an occupational hazard at US Customer Relations! Maybe they should just train their staff to use spell check and grammar check.
There's been a typo on their new website since it launched. I emailed to let them know, but it's still there. Check your Account Summary page, look under your name and address, it says "Divdend Miles number."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.