Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Upgrade Letter Writing Campaign - Action Needed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2010, 4:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
Regardless of how you feel it seems that they should still allow these upgrades though at the gate. If I was CP and had a friend/co-worker that I wanted to upgrade but instead sat next to an empty seat because of this policy I wouldn't be too happy.

Upgrading co-workers or friend whom I often found out after the fact that they were on the flight (so on a separate PNR) was always a great perk of the US program when I flew US.

Sean
Old Mar 8, 2010, 4:10 pm

Looks like they will still do upgrades at the airport. Saw this on the web site:
Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.
It's in the Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure section on this page:
http://www2.usairways.com/en-US/divi.../upgrades.html

Anyone experienced the ability (or inability) to upgrade a companion (in a separate PNR) at the airport on day of departure recently?
Old Mar 8, 2010, 4:33 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by Mykle

Anyone experienced the ability (or inability) to upgrade a companion (in a separate PNR) at the airport on day of departure recently?
I was able to do this about 2 weeks ago but that was before the rumored changes.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:52 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
OK here's what I see as the problem. Your legitimate companions are not always on the same itinerary for various reasons: agent screw-up, payment issues, etc. I remember several years ago (Sabre days) we had the ability to "link" PNRs so that your companion on a different PNR would be seen by the "upgrade gnome" and upgrade with you. This solves the problem of people going around the system while still retaining the ability to get your legitimate companion upgraded. At the time it worked for me so that I could buy a ticket for my girlfriend to accompany me on business travel which was booked through corporate agent.

One nightmare situation I can imagine: If you attempt to gate dance with a companion, they split your PNR. If you do gate dance on the outbound leg, you'll lose the ability to upgrade your companion on the return.

Somewhat OT: I've always thought the companion upgrade would make a great pickup line. "Excuse me are you sitting in First Class? Would you like to be my companion?" I've been in a relationship the entire period I've had status so never had a chance to try it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.