Old Mar 8, 10, 9:15 am

You may want to edit the spelling of the CP email address
Old Mar 8, 10, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM, Marriott-PP/LT P, Avis-PC

Last edited by Ambassador; Mar 8, 10 at 12:01 pm
Old Mar 8, 10, 9:42 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
The problem is that I only enjoy being able to upgrade a companion not on the same PNR very rarely and when I imagine that I lost an upgrade because someone upgraded their not very frequent flying coworker I think that I prefer the new way. My problem is that I think people should be able to upgrade their spouse or significant other with or without the same PNR, but not some random business associate.
Old Mar 8, 10, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG Embarrassed to be AA EXP
How about a different airline?
Old Mar 8, 10, 10:54 am
Suspended

Is this 100% definitely changing? What about trips booked before 4/1/10? I have a recent booked trip with a companion but we booked separately, trip is in late April.
Old Mar 8, 10, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM, Marriott-PP/LT P, Avis-PC
I was told of the change this morning on the CP line.
Old Mar 8, 10, 11:10 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I agree; I'd probably like the new way better because when I travel with co-workers, either we're on different airlines, we've each got our own US status and get our own upgrades, or we sit apart and deal with it. When I travel for pleasure, I am usually on the same PNR as my companion, with the exception of when we're redeeming vouchers.

I don't think it's fair to extend the upgrades to co-workers--- if they're travelling often, they should have their own status and get their own upgrades in the normal manner. If they're not travelling often, then the upgrade is genuinely more deserved by the person whose butt is on those planes more frequently.

Upgrade your friend or your spouse/SO on the same PNR for a vacation trip? I'm absolutely fine with that and I think that's a nice perk for us with status-- to be able to "treat" someone to FC just because you're together. But upgrade a co-worker when the company is paying and you're not on the same PNR? I'm not on board with that. And I'm definitely not on board with two co-workers booking trips in such a way that on trip 1, you're on US where Joe is PP and gets Dave upgraded, and on trip 2 you're on CO (or whatever other airline that does companion upgrades) where Dave is PP and gets Joe upgraded.

I would encourage anyone who is considering emailing to #1 DON'T use the chairman's intake address unless you're a Chairman; other elites should call or use the intake address on the website "contact us" page! And make sure you really understand this policy before you write/call.
Old Mar 8, 10, 11:54 am

Programs: UA DL HH
Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
A little birdie encouraged me to sent a letter to US about the situation. I would in turn encourage all silvers, golds, platinums, and CP's to send an email out this week to let them know your position. Here is the email address: chairmans@usairways.com
Ambassador

The only email that people should send to US is to congratulate them on the new policy.
Old Mar 8, 10, 12:38 pm

Programs: US Airways - Platinum
I'll jump in and say that I'm not in favor of the change. I can understand, and even somewhat agree with, the opinion that a co-worker should have his/her own status and be upgraded accordingly.

However, I have a unique problem. I have two residences, my family is on the west coast, and I work on the east coast. My reservations are always made like this, PHL-FAT-PHL, while my family (when we rarely travel together) would look like this, FAT-PHL-FAT. And yes, I realize that there are no direct flights for these two airports, this is the shorthand version without the extra connection through LAS or PHX.

So under the new policy, my spouse would never be eligible for upgrade on the 1 or 2 opportunities throughout the year that it would even apply. I qualified Platinum the hard way, by flying all of the miles and I did so mainly because I loved the liberal upgrade policy. This blows in my opinion.
Old Mar 8, 10, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA-Platinum
It's interesting how several people have tried to define which types of companions are acceptable (spouses, friends) and which types are not acceptable (co-workers). This change does nothing to impact the type of companions - it simply take the reservation agent out of the process. If you're on the same PNR, you get upgraded...if not, you don't. This is all about keeping the process automated and keeping folks from calling into reservations.

There are many reasons why people who are traveling together aren't on the same PNR (using an E-TUV, for example), as well as agents who don't know how to use "Name Select" when ticketing a PNR, and the web site doesn't allow multiple forms of payment. It's unfortunate this change was instituted without notice to those customers who are impacted by it. I would encourage folks to write in if they are unhappy with the change, I did.
Old Mar 8, 10, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver, American Airlines, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bwiadca View Post
The only email that people should send to US is to congratulate them on the new policy.
Done!
Old Mar 8, 10, 2:54 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by Mykle View Post
This is all about keeping the process automated and keeping folks from calling into reservations.
If so, that's a bad job by US. While I understand the efficiencies of automation, such efficiency should not always be the determining factor for policy.
Old Mar 8, 10, 3:10 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I had understood this more to be about getting the upgrades to the people who deserve them most. The "no more manual upgrades" benefits those with higher status by not allowing a lower-status elite to score the upgrade when both are within the window and the sweeps just haven't run yet, and I took it to mean this would benefit all members (but more heavily those with lower status) by not filling up all the upgrades with friends and co-workers and others who may be taking the same itinerary but not truly travelling "together."

There's never going to be a system that benefits everyone equally, other than making the whole plane first class and only letting elites fly on it. I hope there's some mechanism in place for the special situations like being on a different PNR due to use of a voucher, but on the other hand, the more that special handling is permitted, the further from the rules it'll get.
Old Mar 8, 10, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K; US Gold from 2002-2/28/10, Hyatt Platinum; HHonors Gold; Marriott fake Gold via UA 1K status
It would be nice if US would communicate this change and the reasoning behind it to Preferred members, especially given the close change date. Reading about it this way only further fuels the innuendo that US doesn't give a hoot about its business travelers, which this change will affect most.

Search this Thread