Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone stuck at DCA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2010, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, CO PE, Avis First, National EE
Anyone stuck at DCA?

I know things are looking to get back on track at DCA, but now it appears a new storm is headed our way for Tomorrow / Wednesday. I live right by DCA and a few metro stops away. I'll be around home until this weekend so if any FT'ers need anything or are stuck I can help in any way possible. I can offer a ride or meet up for food/drinks if anyone is in need.

Matt
Old Feb 8, 2010, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Very gracious! ^
Old Feb 8, 2010, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LUS DM CP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Emerald Exec
Hoping Metro resumes above ground service Tuesday morning - going to try a third time to get out from DCA (Sun/Mon flts cxcl) to FLL before the next snow rolls in. Thx for the gracious offer.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Thanks for such a lovely offer
I am trying to come home to DCA tomorrow so please keep your fingers crossed for me... if you're really nice, you'd go to my house and shovel off my flat garage roof as I am not confident it will stand up to another 10 inches of snow...

and if I can't get into DCA tomorrow, I'm going to have them reroute me to MCO where I have friends who have a guest room and a washing machine. I am down to my last pair of clean socks
Old Feb 8, 2010, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, CO PE, Avis First, National EE
Yeah the Metro seems to not be reliable during heavy snow. I actually cancelled my flights and was a volunteer driver this weekend at a local hospital - they needed folks with 4x4's who could drive Doctors and Nurses in that mess. I'd be happy to help out with giving my fellow FT'ers a ride / shower / place to hang out if anyone is at DCA and stuck. I know cab service can be spotty if not non existent during this mess as well. I know I've been stuck in similar situations and could have used a break from the standby game and needed to go get toiletries and medicine, etc. I can try to help if anyone needs it.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 3:46 pm

Programs: SPG- Nothing currently Grr.
I'm also trying to get back to DCA. My flight was canceled last night and this morning. I'm crossing my fingers I can get in tomorrow morning. The only problem is the storm is scheduled to be hitting CMH when I'm scheduled to leave.

I had to evacuate the area on Friday morning. at 6am the line to check in at AA was easily 1000 people long. I felt really sorry for anyone in that line. There were maybe 20 people at the US check in desk.

Thank you to US for being on top of this storm!
Old Feb 8, 2010, 6:29 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Frebis
I'm also trying to get back to DCA. My flight was canceled last night and this morning. I'm crossing my fingers I can get in tomorrow morning. The only problem is the storm is scheduled to be hitting CMH when I'm scheduled to leave.

I had to evacuate the area on Friday morning. at 6am the line to check in at AA was easily 1000 people long. I felt really sorry for anyone in that line. There were maybe 20 people at the US check in desk.

Thank you to US for being on top of this storm!
US has handled this storm very well. It has been a few years since I did any significant flying on US and have been very pleasantly surprised. They were fully staffed at all gates and the ticket counter was a breeze.^
Old Feb 8, 2010, 6:33 pm

I'm supposed to fly out of DCA Wednesday afternoon....from what it looks like that isn't happening. Might be stuck there..if I can even make it to the airport :-)
Old Feb 8, 2010, 6:33 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman, PetSmart PetPerks Elite
Originally Posted by DCAMatt
I know things are looking to get back on track at DCA, but now it appears a new storm is headed our way for Tomorrow / Wednesday. I live right by DCA and a few metro stops away. I'll be around home until this weekend so if any FT'ers need anything or are stuck I can help in any way possible. I can offer a ride or meet up for food/drinks if anyone is in need.

Matt
I almost wish I was headed that way to take you up on your kind offer!!
Old Feb 8, 2010, 6:40 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
My parents got out of MCO to DCA this afternoon (3:45 pm departure---1st one since DCA re-opened). They said it all went smoothly. After a couple of hours they made it to their street (on a normal day, no traffic, it takes 15-20 minutes), but their car (SUV) is now stuck in the middle of the street a few houses away. Needless to say, they are probably wishing their flight had been cancelled.

I flew out of MCO on US yesterday and it seemed like they were handling the situation very well.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:14 am

My original 8:20am flight was cancelled out of DCA yesterday, but the rebook left on time later that day. I was surprised that the airport wasn't a madhouse yesterday.

All things considered with the airport pretty much shut down since Friday, I thought it would be Dec 19th all over again, but it turned out to be business as usual.

I heard Dulles was a much different story from coworkers.

I'm hoping DCA is operational come Friday for my return flight.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, WN, SPG, MR Gold, HH Gold VIP
Originally Posted by jbird82
I heard Dulles was a much different story from coworkers.
I heard the official snow tally out at IAD was 32 inches - Dulles is not set up to handle that!
Old Feb 9, 2010, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, LUS DM CP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Emerald Exec
Well, at 5:30 this morning discovered my 2nd rescheduled flight to FLL was canceled - CP angel got me Friday via CLT as all departures Wed out of DCA according to them were off the board and unlikely DCA will be open Thursday if we get the amount of snow being predicted (based on their response time over the past few days). Laid in provisions and will muddle through until then - at least we have power.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Matt:
Such a generous offer on your part^

While I can't offer the same here but if any Flyertalker gets stuck in Clt pm me your cell number before 1215P Eastern( I don't carry a lap top & am off line after that) & if I can get away maybe we can at least have coffee or a snack together.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DCAMatt
Yeah the Metro seems to not be reliable during heavy snow.
That's funny... Metro isn't reliable in light snow, much less heavy Metro is supposed to be able to operate until the third rail (which is around 6 inches above ground) is covered with snow, but in years past it ended up having to shut down outdoor service prior to that because of icing issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.