Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double bonus for purchased miles (Another round: Feb-March 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: LH SEN, US Div.; BMI DC; PC Ambassador Platinum, Hilton Gold;Club Carlson
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Just a word of warning for new members especially those living outside the US. I joined Dividend Miles on February 2nd and have heard about the 10 day rule though it wasn't mentioned anywhere on the website. I got the message 'you are ineligible to buy miles at this time' a couple of times but when I logged in on February 12th I didn't get the message and I was able to proceed to purchase miles.

I received a purchase receipt email from points.com and the amount appeared on my credit card account as a pending transaction straightaway. I waited for miles to post but they never did. I contacted a friend who told me about the deal and exactly the same thing happened to him in December.

I phoned the credit card company who weren't very helpful, then I called US Airways' UK number and a very helpful guy told me to forward the email from points.com. He contacted US Airways head office and confirmed that because of time difference between the US and the UK, the purchase did not get through correctly although a confirmation email was sent by points.com. He reassured me that the amount would not be charged to my credit card and agreed to pass this information to the credit card company.

In the mean time I decided to go ahead and purchase DM miles again using a different credit card to avoid confusion. This time I immediately received a purchase receipt and confirmation by email and miles posted within a few minutes.

So if you are a new member, don't rush to purchase miles even though you are offered a chance to do so until your 11 days are complete in order to avoid any hassle.
thanks for the information. This might be the reason why my first transaction early morning CET was not posting miles, whereas the others some hours later did.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:58 pm

No need to be too eager!
Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:12 pm

Programs: big pimpin'
Originally Posted by arfgoblue
In the thread, "preferred" has been used to refer to people who have the US Air credit card, and those who have status. Which is it? That is, can a lowly Silver get the 25% bonus?

Thanks!
bump.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 5:02 pm

If you have the US Airways credit card you are "Select." I thought "Preferred" meant elites.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:22 am

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
Well this promotion is actually very attractive for us, but this would be the first time we would be dealing with the "American" airlines ff programs, and was just ensuring that there is no catch in this.

Also, I assume the miles are valid for 3 years, is that correct?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:45 am

Deleted

Last edited by jcb12; Feb 24, 2010 at 1:43 pm Reason: Asked question in the FAQ thread, where it's probably better placed
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by e-aviation
Well this promotion is actually very attractive for us, but this would be the first time we would be dealing with the "American" airlines ff programs, and was just ensuring that there is no catch in this.
None that I have experienced.

Also, I assume the miles are valid for 3 years, is that correct?
No. Rolling 18 months from your last activity.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 1:31 am

Programs: US Silver Preferred, Delta
Originally Posted by derpelikan
i can confirm that.

you can get a gift of 50K miles which will be doubled to 100K (or if a silver gold above gifts them, it will be 62.5 K as a bonus)

and you can buy another 50K miles which will be doubled to 100K (or you are silver gold above, you will receive 62.5 as bonus)

so the maximum without status is 100K + 100K (gift + buy)
if a status member buys miles the maximum is 112500 x 2 = 225000 Miles.

i have done this, and another hint, if you have friends with status, use their account number and names, to get the 62500 bonus . status members can gift miles it seems multiple times. at least i have done it with the same account three times now.

dp
So if my aunt has a non-status DM miles account.. And me and my dad as silver decide to gift her 50K each she will get 112.5X2. for 225K total, then if my uncle decides to open an account he can gift her an additional 100K for 325K total for ~3500? Me->her 112.5K Dad->her 112.5K Uncle->her 100K for 325K??? Or if they only needed 250K for 2 F sea-arn and back rewards it would be the same except for uncle gifting 12.5K and the bonus would be 250K total?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:12 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
gifting

Originally Posted by rookieflyer
So if my aunt has a non-status DM miles account.. And me and my dad as silver decide to gift her 50K each she will get 112.5X2. for 225K total, then if my uncle decides to open an account he can gift her an additional 100K for 325K total for ~3500? Me->her 112.5K Dad->her 112.5K Uncle->her 100K for 325K??? Or if they only needed 250K for 2 F sea-arn and back rewards it would be the same except for uncle gifting 12.5K and the bonus would be 250K total?
hi,

one account can only receive the 50K gift once.

cheers dp
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:26 am

could anyone tell me what is the expire date for US miles?
thanks
Old Feb 26, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jjjohn
could anyone tell me what is the expire date for US miles?
thanks
The answer can be found three posts above yours.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by vysean
I just tried this - as a preferred member gifting to a preferred member, it is a 125% bonus (30k base + 37.5k bonus/free miles).

Also works when gifting to a non-status member.

Seems like a pretty decent deal to top up accounts for awards.
So If I need 250K miles for two F 125k awards. Am I understanding that I can buy myself 50K to get 112.5K (silver). How does a preferred to a preferred make the bonus any bigger? If my dad gifts me 50K that would only be 112.5K also. For 225k then I could just buy the other 25K right?

Or is there a bigger bonus for preferred to preferred?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 7:19 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, SPG
Originally Posted by rookieflyer
So If I need 250K miles for two F 125k awards. Am I understanding that I can buy myself 50K to get 112.5K (silver).
Miles purchased through Buy or Gift Miles do not count towards Dividend Miles Preferred status.
source
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:04 pm

I'm not asking anything about getting EQM. Just was referencing vysean's post where I thought if a preferred gives to another preferred there might be a greater bonus than 25%.

Upon reading the terms again it seems that the 25% will not increase any if the transfer is between 2 preferred members... Disregard that question unless I'm wrong then correct me pls
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:11 am

How long to post? Does bonus post separately take longer?

I actually read all 104 posts and not one poster said , "I pulled the trigger and it took ___ to post"

Does the bonus post separately from the purchased miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.