Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US to end SNA - LAS flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2010, 7:56 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
US to end SNA - LAS flights

US Airways is surrendering in its battle with Southwest Airlines for dominance in flights between Orange County and Las Vegas, locals' favorite vacation destination.

The airline will end its five-times-a-day non-stop service after Feb. 10. That will leave Southwest with a monopoly on flights to "Sin City." from Orange County. Marketing surveys show Las Vegas is by far the top vacation destination for Orange County residents.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/vegas...s-service.html
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:18 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Wirelessly posted (FlyerTalk.com/wap is fun : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Already mentioned in the las hub closing thread.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:41 am

What will happen with the SNA slots?

-Kinglobjaw
Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AC 75k; UA Gold; Bonvoy Ambassador; Hertz Presidents Circle; Hilton Diamond
Good question on the slots ....

SNA is slot limited (or slot controlled), right ??

If so the vegas slots are a commodity. I just flew SNA-LAS last week and it had already been downgraded by US from mailine Airbii to CRJ's - and speculation was that they did this to hold the slots.

They aren't going to fill these slots with additional PHX frequencies - that would be taking on SW more.

Maybe add flights to PHL or CLT ?? There would definitely be a market.....I for one would jump at it. Anything to avoid LAX (I prefer LGB, but everything then routes thru PHX).

I'll be watching on this one....would be great to do a SNA-PHL-transatlantic flight.

Grunion
Old Feb 1, 2010, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Grunion
SNA is slot limited (or slot controlled), right ??

If so the vegas slots are a commodity. I just flew SNA-LAS last week and it had already been downgraded by US from mailine Airbii to CRJ's - and speculation was that they did this to hold the slots.

They aren't going to fill these slots with additional PHX frequencies - that would be taking on SW more.

Maybe add flights to PHL or CLT ?? There would definitely be a market.....I for one would jump at it. Anything to avoid LAX (I prefer LGB, but everything then routes thru PHX).

I'll be watching on this one....would be great to do a SNA-PHL-transatlantic flight.

Grunion
that would be great if they did phl-sna. anything beats lax. that would be too perfect!

Last edited by skipdawg; Feb 1, 2010 at 6:49 am Reason: typed in the quote section accidentally
Old Feb 1, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
They did PHL-SNA back in 2002-3 or so. I took it a number of times. Always filled a 319, claimed they couldn't make any money.....and the fares were always higher than LAX...
Old Feb 1, 2010, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Art234
They did PHL-SNA back in 2002-3 or so. I took it a number of times. Always filled a 319, claimed they couldn't make any money.....and the fares were always higher than LAX...
all fares from sna seem to be higher than LAX. well worth it to avoid the traffic and LAX in general. especially the US counter people at LAX
Old Feb 1, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AC 75k; UA Gold; Bonvoy Ambassador; Hertz Presidents Circle; Hilton Diamond
Hmmm.....just read an article that AC is picking up slots at SNA

AC is starting SNA-YYZ service in April.

Wonder if maybe US sold a slot to their * partner (or did a slot swap). AC hasn't served SNA before.

Grunion
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:25 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Grunion
AC is starting SNA-YYZ service in April.

Wonder if maybe US sold a slot to their * partner (or did a slot swap). AC hasn't served SNA before.
That sounds great ... but I was hoping they would link SNA to YVR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.