Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US livery - Blue vs White, any significance?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

US livery - Blue vs White, any significance?

Is one newer than the other? Or are they just two variations on what looks to otherwise be the same livery? (When I started wondering about this, I was originally guessing US East vs US West, but now have had both types of planes painted white, so it can't be that).
Old Jan 28, 2010, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
The white planes are the newer livery, established along with the merger with AWA. Since AWA had hubs in Phoenix and Las Vegas, the merger meant that a lot of the new USAirways planes were going to be spending time in the hot desert sun. Given that, a mostly white plane made more sense, as it wouldn't absorb as much heat as a dark blue plane would, and word is the dark paint doesn't hold up well over time when subjected to extended periods of heat and bright sun.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. So I guess one can infer that anything in blue is a US East plane that they've had since before the merger?

Is there an active program to convert blue planes to white, or is it just done if/when the plane would be scheduled for painting anyway?
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:04 pm

Programs: None
Correct on the first - the dark blue planes are the remaining old livery East planes. There was a regular painting schedule to get the entire fleet converted to the new livery but when money got tight that was dropped. Now they're only painting planes as the need arises, and only the worst looking ones then.

Jim
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - good info here. I was curious because I just started flying US more again in the past few months. Before that, I had only flown them once or twice since 2003.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 1:30 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I like the old blue design, although I've been in some cities where it was indeed very, very hot inside the plane...

I'm also a fan of the "retrojets". I've been on both the Allegheny and Piedmont aircraft (and think I've been on the HP retrojet), but still keep missing my beloved PSA jet.

I'm still waiting for a USAir retrojet in either the early 1990s blue/red/silver scheme or the 1980s orange/brown/silver scheme (obviously going to be tough to do on an Airbus 320 with a composite body frame).

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Jan 29, 2010 at 1:38 am
Old Jan 29, 2010, 1:44 am

So what is this one???

Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:42 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by trooper
So what is this one???
It's one of the legacy paint schemes, symbolizing US heritage. The one you show is a US jet painted with an America West tail. Here's one with the Piedmont tail.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Here is the final HP livery before the changeover...

This one is still the best, however....

Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
I tend to prefer this one.

Which is based on the 80's and early 90's HP livery:

Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:30 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat

*sigh*
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I've seen a white/blue livery (white top, blue belly) and a gray livery. Where are the all white and all blue liveries?

As an employee at the HP HQ before the merger, one day I got pulled into a conf room one day, and a group of us were exposed to some livery designs and got to vote. Some were horrible, and I was happy that my choice became part of the final version (they took pieces of a few and grouped it together).
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: None
The only all white livery is the *A livery - all white fuselage, dark blue vertical tail. The last HP livery was mostly white with the belly and tail blue/green. The HP livery before that was mostly white with blue stripe and tip of tail, but I'm not sure there were any of those left by the time of the merger (and pics of both are in this thread).

Then there are the heritage and team liveries.

Not sure what the all gray would have been.

Jim
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I've seen tons of the gray livery on planes in PHL. Maybe it is really very dark blue planes in need of a cleaning.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!

Woo hoo!

Mais Oui!

Last edited by HeHateY; Jan 29, 2010 at 11:53 am Reason: Trying to embed photos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.