Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines Experience is ALWAYS BAD!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I sympathize with being huff-ed at but (1) boarding with Zone 1, rather than 1Ks, etc. and (2) no upgrades, even to Economy Plus, are how things work on United- US status doesn't count for much. So be it- I would rather at least have the ability to pay to get 5" more of legroom than be stuck in a non-exit row coach seat on US.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 1:30 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Exclamation No Sir!!!

I make it a point to never trash another airline unless I have heavy travel experience on it. As someone who flew 1525 segments in 10 years as a US Air CP (w/a 99.5% upgrade clearance rate)...

Being a 1K w/UA, I'm here to tell you that the difference (as a top elite) is like the difference between a 1978 Chevette & 2010 Lexus!!!
Old Jan 1, 2010, 1:37 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up Beautiful!!!!

Originally Posted by Phrequent
Since I'm somewhat nasty, allow me to sterotype the OP:

Charlotte-type Banker-type who typically backs up airport traffic waiting at one of the many shoe shine stands overabundant at CLT. Old-school US passenger, proven by the use of the term "US AIR" throughout. Previously enjoyed the cordless phones that used to adorn the CLT US Club (C-D terminal) with the sign that read "be sure to insert your handset in the correct base or you will disconnect another member's call (now ripped out & plated over, but signage still remaining). Has become accustomed to sub-par F class service and would have been elated to have received an upgrade on UA, especially if on a longer flight where better service could be experienced. Looks & Feels like the US F class crowd - Charlotte Bankers, dressed up for the flying experience.

-PP
Great Post. You too can now be one of my hero's (-;
Old Jan 1, 2010, 4:12 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
On a R/T, that's 4 segments versus 2 and over 2200 miles versus 1200. What status-seeking FT'er wouldn't do this?! Or Go PHX-LAS-SFO-LAX-DEN?
guess with the guy's wife with him, I had not contemplated this as a possiblity... but yes, that would be a FT move (for someone with 2000 or more posts ... )

I still make fun of my wife for not letting me take our 5 year old to Europe/India when LH mismarked their C fares at a coach price.... I don't think OP is thinking like this though...
Old Jan 1, 2010, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dragon2011
I am a CP and unfortunately had to book a flight from Denver to Phoenix via LAS. I made this trip yesterday. I showed up at the check in and asked about upgrading. The person at the counter (which in my experience on UA is always rude) said that FC was full anyway but to upgrade to their extra 5inched would be 78.00! I asked if my CP meant anything and she hughed and said no! So I was already not happy, as I was in row 21 in the smalles caoch seats I have ever sat in! Then when we were at the gate and they announced check in and I went to the red carpet, he turned me away (again with attitude) and said this is for 1K, I said that I am Chairman on USAIR, he could have cared less! We did get to board with the Zone 1's. This experience has solidified that I will NEVER book on UA if I can avoid it. The woman at the check in counter did say that next QTR this is supposed to change and US AIR Status will count and we will get upgrades, I will belive it when I see it. I know that alot of people complain about US AIR on this site , about service and such, but I am here to tell you the grass is BROWN on the other side and US AIR has always taken care of me.
Personally, I think you confuse "rude" with "not honoring my unreasonable request".

You were not entitled to ANY of the perks you wanted.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by pinworm
Personally, I think you confuse "rude" with "not honoring my unreasonable request".

You were not entitled to ANY of the perks you wanted.
Exactly and very simply put. ^
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dragon2011
I am a CP and unfortunately had to book a flight from Denver to Phoenix via LAS. I made this trip yesterday. I showed up at the check in and asked about upgrading. The person at the counter (which in my experience on UA is always rude) said that FC was full anyway but to upgrade to their extra 5inched would be 78.00! I asked if my CP meant anything and she hughed and said no! So I was already not happy, as I was in row 21 in the smalles caoch seats I have ever sat in! Then when we were at the gate and they announced check in and I went to the red carpet, he turned me away (again with attitude) and said this is for 1K, I said that I am Chairman on USAIR, he could have cared less! We did get to board with the Zone 1's. This experience has solidified that I will NEVER book on UA if I can avoid it. The woman at the check in counter did say that next QTR this is supposed to change and US AIR Status will count and we will get upgrades, I will belive it when I see it. I know that alot of people complain about US AIR on this site , about service and such, but I am here to tell you the grass is BROWN on the other side and US AIR has always taken care of me.

I am sorry to hear about your experience on your recent fly. But aren't all the US carriers of such a lousy quality? I remember my recent flight from LAS to ATL with Delta. My Alitalia Gold (= Elite Plus with SkyTeam) didn't mean anything at all. Like you, no priority boarding, no upgrade, no extra baggage, no nothing. Thuis, I will avoid all the US carriers whenever I can @:-)
Old Jan 2, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, US LT Silver, AA Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
Ironically, I just flew UA from HNL yesterday and while the flight was fine, UA didn't disappoint in ruining a good thing. To begin with, boarding the plane in HNL was just crazy as TSA agents were standing at the gate and scanning the crowd to see who they could randomly pick to check ID. Of course, at that point, everyone had put their ID's away, so every person that they stopped had to drop their luggage and look through their bag or wallet to get their ID out again. To the gate agents credit, they managed to get everybody on board and we backed away from the gate just a few minutes after the scheduled departure.

In preparation that I might be picked "at random" I got my ID out just in case and after I cleared the gate, I stuffed it in my jacket pocket instead of putting it back in my wallet. When I arrived at IAD and reached in my pocket to get my car keys, I realized that my license was gone and went to the baggage claim office to ask the agent if she could call the gate and have them check my seat for my license, since I was beyond security and could not go back to check the plane myself. She told me "no-we don't do that" and handed me a lost and found form to fill out. I looked at her and asked her if she understood that we were talking my driver's license, which I needed to get home. She looked at me over her glasses and said "well, I guess you'll have to be careful tonight because either you'll have to drive home without it or call someone to pick you up." So, I asked if I could come back later and pick it up and she said "don't call us, we'll call you if it shows up. It won't do you any good to come unless we do because we have way too many items to look through and we aren't going to stop and look for a needle in a haystack." Other people in the baggage office were as amazed as I was at her attitude and lack of customer service and started to come to my defense and she said that she "didn't make the rules, she just follows them and we're understaffed and that's what we've been told to do." So, I filled out the form and left. Fortunately, my wife was with me, so she drove home and I'm headed to the MVA on Monday morning to get a new license. Just absolutely ridiculous.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA-1k, Starwood-G, Marriott-G, Hilton-G
Originally Posted by I_Hate_US_Airways
I make it a point to never trash another airline unless I have heavy travel experience on it. As someone who flew 1525 segments in 10 years as a US Air CP (w/a 99.5% upgrade clearance rate)...

Being a 1K w/UA, I'm here to tell you that the difference (as a top elite) is like the difference between a 1978 Chevette & 2010 Lexus!!!
+1

I'm a 1k UA flier based in PHL (used to be CP on US years back but bailed on Dividend Miles because it felt a bit devauled) so I log about 1/2 of my 140k miles/year on US (when direct flights are available/necessary) and the other 1/2 on UA (when I have time to connect or am flying to a UA hub). This includes int'l C on UA and Envoy on US. On average, UA has offered me consistently better service. Have had decent experiences on US lately, but on average, UA is better (hard and soft product). One (personal and anecdotal) observation...

Get an occasionally huffy UA staff member (TA, GA or FA), respond with a smile and a kind word, attitude almost always changes and get good service. This has included bending over backwards to get me home during IRROPS.

Get an occasionally huffy US staff member (TA, GA or FA), respond with a smile and a kind word, return attitude seems to be hit-or-miss.

Just my humble opinion, FWIW.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 11:45 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
I didn't realize the Red Carpet wasn't for me. I've used it when they call *G elites many times and no one ever told me I was screwing up or even looked annoyed with me. Oops.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Exactly and very simply put. ^
The other thing that is amazing is the title. One experience becomes "Always bad". Rather small N. Im another one of those former CPs who in some years qualified by segments. And sorry, now there is no comparison between UA and US, and it isnt UA that is "Always Bad" in my experience. Having said that it isnt that US is as bad as the OP makes UA it out to be, it is just not something that I want to experience.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emma dog
I'm missing any real rudeness on the part of UA's agents. You seem to have played the DYKWIA card 2x (check in and red carpet) and they said "YWDBWDC (tm)" (yes we do, but we don't care).

I like this.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by nissan motor
But aren't all the US carriers of such a lousy quality? I remember my recent flight from LAS to ATL with Delta. My Alitalia Gold (= Elite Plus with SkyTeam) didn't mean anything at all. Like you, no priority boarding, no upgrade, no extra baggage, no nothing. Thuis, I will avoid all the US carriers whenever I can @:-)
What non-US carriers will take you from LAS-ATL
Old Jan 3, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Smile

Originally Posted by bitburgr
What non-US carriers will take you from LAS-ATL
British Airways will do it, with a connection at LHR. I'm sure there are others for the seasoned international traveler.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

If you only knew what you were talking about it would be comical, the description is not even close, and your anger is attrotious, you need to look into decalf and get a shrink!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.