United Airlines Experience is ALWAYS BAD!!!!

Old Dec 29, 09, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

United Airlines Experience is ALWAYS BAD!!!!

I am a CP and unfortunately had to book a flight from Denver to Phoenix via LAS. I made this trip yesterday. I showed up at the check in and asked about upgrading. The person at the counter (which in my experience on UA is always rude) said that FC was full anyway but to upgrade to their extra 5inched would be 78.00! I asked if my CP meant anything and she hughed and said no! So I was already not happy, as I was in row 21 in the smalles caoch seats I have ever sat in! Then when we were at the gate and they announced check in and I went to the red carpet, he turned me away (again with attitude) and said this is for 1K, I said that I am Chairman on USAIR, he could have cared less! We did get to board with the Zone 1's. This experience has solidified that I will NEVER book on UA if I can avoid it. The woman at the check in counter did say that next QTR this is supposed to change and US AIR Status will count and we will get upgrades, I will belive it when I see it. I know that alot of people complain about US AIR on this site , about service and such, but I am here to tell you the grass is BROWN on the other side and US AIR has always taken care of me.
Old Dec 29, 09, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
As an US Airways Elite, you are not eligible for upgrades on United, and vice versa.

The Red Carpet is exclusively for GS, 1K, First and Business Passengers only.

These rules are clearly stated. I'm not sure what makes you think you are entitled to these benefits as a CP.

And no, you will not receive complimentary upgrades on United either next year, unless you are a Continental Elite.
Old Dec 29, 09, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Bliss, I was more upsetr about thier attitude than not getting the benefits, they should recognize a frequent traveler and try to get my business, in my opinion, and not be RUDE, rules or no rules.
Old Dec 29, 09, 4:30 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
deleted

Last edited by jimmychang; Dec 29, 09 at 6:22 pm
Old Dec 29, 09, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP;SPG Gold; Priority Club Spire Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
I don't think the OP was saying he was entitled. I got the impression he was asking if it helped, and the attitude is what bothered him, not the fact he didn't qualify for benefits on UA.

Its a reasonable question for those of us who don't fly UA to ask since they are both *A.

With that said, ALL airlines have those employees and its always worth a second try.
Old Dec 29, 09, 5:00 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, SPG Gold
As a US GP, when I do fly United (2-3) times per year - the United staff has always gone out of their way to put me in their Economy Plus seats. Now - usually there are lots of extra seats on the flights. One time I did ask - but it was easily granted when they saw I was a US GP.

It's not an official policy - but most United staffers will treat a Star Gold welll - I'm thinking hoping for reciprocity when their United *G are flying on something other than United+Continental.

PS: I am jealous of that united and Continental airlines partnership. I have always enjoyed the few Continental flights I made when I was trying to achieve Delta premier status years ago.
Old Dec 29, 09, 5:22 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
If you already know that you are not entitiled to those benefits but want to play dump to try your luck, I would not complain the " attitude " you get. Maybe it was because of your attitude. In my experiences with UA & US, there is nothing that is ALWAYS. They both are inconsistent.
Old Dec 29, 09, 6:00 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jimmychang View Post
If you already know that you are not entitiled to those benefits but want to play dump to try your luck, I would not complain the " attitude " you get. Maybe it was because of your attitude. In my experiences with UA & US, there is nothing that is ALWAYS. They both are inconsistent.
I couldn't agree more. I'm actually glad to hear that the UA GA enforced the red carpet boarding procedures. Now if US GAs would board correctly and enforce the boarding zones maybe boarding a US plane would not be equal to going through the "families with children" TSA line at MCO.
Old Dec 29, 09, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

I was not trying to get away with anything, I was unfamiliar with the Red Carpet Policy (and the sign has a gold Star on it!) And I was very pleasant to both the GA and the person at the counter, I was with my wife and she would not have it any other way, they were RUDE and I will not fly UA again, unless I have to as they are bad, this is not the first time I have experienced thier rudeness, I guess if you havent you will soon enough. This forum is for people to share experiences, and I did, enough said.

Thank you,
Old Dec 29, 09, 6:40 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Ti & Ambassador, UA Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Select Plus, Uber Diamond
In my experience of doing DEN-PHL quite a few times (US doesn't serve this route at any reasonable time), the UA product and customer service is far better. I've had FAs give me free booze and food in coach multiple times (without asking or even hinting... they just shoed away my credit card) and they're generally very courteous. Also, there's IFE on those flights, where as the US flight in the other direction has none.
Old Dec 29, 09, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Platinum
The same thing could be said about UA elites traveling on US. Last week as a 1K I was not given a first class seat when there were 5 empty. And as far as I know the UA E- seats are no different than US coach seats. As a CP you may not be used to flying in coach on your US flights.
Old Dec 29, 09, 11:42 pm

One really should take a moment to look things up...

I am *G through NZ..... and have always found that UA (and US for that matter) are very good about offering all actual Star Gold entitlements..

Extra baggage allowance/premium check in use/priority boarding etc^

E+ is NOT, and never has been, a Star Gold perk on UA... I routinely ask about E+ and am routinely (and politely) offered the buy up... faiir enough.

Lounge access IS a perk for me, as I am a "foreign" Gold... I thought it was well known that UA/US Gold did not qualify for lounge access on domestic itins? I know that and it doesn't even apply to me...

I suspect at least part of the "attitude" might be attributable to answering the SAME "Can I have E+ for free" question for the 400th time that day....

I'd love to hear the OP's response to the treatment SQ hands out to "other" Star Golds!!!
Old Dec 30, 09, 7:28 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by Dragon2011 View Post
Bliss, I was more upsetr about thier attitude than not getting the benefits, they should recognize a frequent traveler and try to get my business, in my opinion, and not be RUDE, rules or no rules.
Actually, there's no particular reason for UA to try to get your business. You are an elite of a partner airline. You obviously chose UA because it is a partner. And you obviously fly US for a reason. Meaning, the *A concept worked to keep your business in "the family".

W/R/T rudeness, I'm missing any real rudeness on the part of UA's agents. You seem to have played the DYKWIA card 2x (check in and red carpet) and they said "YWDBWDC (tm)" (yes we do, but we don't care). Whether or not it made the "best business decision" I'll leave to others... but the agents were certainly following the rules.
Old Dec 30, 09, 8:04 am

Programs: GS - CK
@OP - As a UA 1K, I see the same thing on the US side. The reality is that the individual you are dealing with will make or break the situation, no matter what airline. PERIOD. By knowing the rules, it makes it easier for you (for ex, I've never asked US to upgrade me because of 1K status).

Note the post someone made recently on accessing the USClub with their Red Carpet Club card using a same-day US ticket -- it all depends on the individual: how nice they are going to be and how far they are going to stretch the rules for you, if they choose to.

-PP
Old Dec 30, 09, 8:49 am

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
It's the interaction between the customer and the company representative that
makes or breaks the situation, and I figure it runs 50/50 on average though one
or the other of the parties might have a particularly good or bad day. I figure a
four exclamation point day will get less favorable results than most. Anyhow,
as I recall UA Y- is no worse than US Y, so I'm taking the original testimony
with a grain of morphine.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: