Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2012, 3:28 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, CX DM, A3 Gold
Sorry if I missed this in an earlier thread, but how far in advance can I book award tickets on star alliance metal? I suppose it's a combination of US Airways' restriction and how far in advance each airline partner releases its seats.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by ginkoka
Sorry if I missed this in an earlier thread, but how far in advance can I book award tickets on star alliance metal? I suppose it's a combination of US Airways' restriction and how far in advance each airline partner releases its seats.
Generally 330 days
Old Dec 31, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by portland67
SJC-NRT in J on ANA
HND-GMP in J on ANA( Would the Japan portion count as a stopover?)
If you're staying more than 24hrs then it will count as a stopover.

Mind, that US sometimes / often does not view flights to GMP. Was discussed in this thread. Be prepaired to have alternative flights, i.ex. NRT-ICN.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA , SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, United, Aeroplan, Hyatt Plat
Can someone tell me if this is valid?

MEL-Venice(destination)
Rome-HKG(stop over)-MEL

would that be consider an openjaw? or would i have to fly out of Venice for that flight to work?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:40 am

Yes that's an openjaw, you'd have to fly out of VCE.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 4:33 pm

Hi all,

Is ANA J being blocked now? I see 3 seats on NRT - ORD and three US agents have told me they can't see them.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 6:42 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by mabramovich
Hi all,

Is ANA J being blocked now? I see 3 seats on NRT - ORD and three US agents have told me they can't see them.
Did you perform a search of 'ANA' in this thread?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 6:53 pm

We are planning a trip on United PHL-SFO in April. I currently have enough USAirways miles, but not enough United miles (I will have them in about a month). Is there any disadvantage in using the USAIR miles for the United flight, or should I wait to get the United Miles.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:21 pm

Nope, US miles are fine, but I wouldn't recommend using miles for a domestic.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:06 am

Programs: AA, AMEX, MARRIOTT, ANA, UAL, CHASE
Routing question...

First time using a us airways partner award.... Flying in business class.

I'm trying to get from SFO to JNB July 2 2013 staying there for 2 weeks and then going JNB - HKG (via Singapore) for 10 days and then returning from HKG to SFO the first week in August.

I called and e agent told me that to get to South Africa I had to fly through Europe (where there is basically no availability in the summer from USA). There does appear to be space available on the mex-fra-IST-JNB route. Would is be possible? Flying from Sfo-icn-IST-JNB has space but the agent said I can't fly that way???? True???

Getting to Hong Kong there are several options... But then from HKG -SFO availability is tough...I did find hkg-bkk-Syd-sfo. Would this be valid?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:18 am

Programs: AA PLT, CC Concierge, A3*G
Does it matter if the "stopover" is for a longer period of time than the destination stop? I have booked a Europe-North Asia award through BKK, and am considering going to Cambodia and Vietnam on a separate ticket. However, that would make the current stopover city 2 weeks and the destination 1 week.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Peppep
Does it matter if the "stopover" is for a longer period of time than the destination stop? I have booked a Europe-North Asia award through BKK, and am considering going to Cambodia and Vietnam on a separate ticket. However, that would make the current stopover city 2 weeks and the destination 1 week.
no problems. your stopover could be 6 months and your destination an immediate turn around
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: US CP, HH/SPG/MR Gold
It's Official - No LH F with DM's

I don't think this has been posted yet and this is certainly first time I've noticed the following statement on US's "Airline partners award travel chart" (PDF downloadable from http://shopping.usairways.com/en-US/.../usemiles.html). At the bottom of the chart,
Notes
1) Beginning January 1, 2013, award redemption in Lufthansa first class cabin is unavailable.
Sad, but on a more positive note, maybe this official communication will end all the repetitive questions about LH F posted here.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: AA PLT, CC Concierge, A3*G
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
no problems. your stopover could be 6 months and your destination an immediate turn around
Great, thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by 1dream
I called and e agent told me that to get to South Africa I had to fly through Europe (where there is basically no availability in the summer from USA). There does appear to be space available on the mex-fra-IST-JNB route. Would is be possible? Flying from Sfo-icn-IST-JNB has space but the agent said I can't fly that way???? True???

Getting to Hong Kong there are several options... But then from HKG -SFO availability is tough...I did find hkg-bkk-Syd-sfo. Would this be valid?

Thanks in advance
Why not fly from Dulles to Addis Ababa on Ethiopian Airlines and then to South Africa? I've heard that Ethiopian has good award availability.

You could also try IAD-DKR-JNB on South African.

The Star Alliance interactive route map might give you ideas:
http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/map/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.