Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Is this a legal routing from US to North Asia for 90,000 miles in J?

LAS-ORD-ARN (stop for less than 24 hours in Stockholm) - BCN

surface segment/open jaw

FCO-FRA-ALA (Almaty) (Destination)

ALA-ICN-SFO-LAS
it seems like an open jaw with a stopover in ALA to me.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: US Airways CP, UA 1K, DL Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by pbd456
it seems like an open jaw with a stopover in ALA to me.
Which makes it illegal right? You can have a stop over, or a open jaw but not both.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by pjs91015
I called back one more time and found out it is a codeshare with Air Japan and therefore it is not something I can book with miles.

Can UA, AC and NH miles book it but US cannot?
The answer about Air Japan (NQ) and US has been discussed many times in this thread. Please perform a thread search about this topic.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:33 am

Is this a legal routing from US to North Asia for 90,000 miles in J?

LAS-ORD-ARN (stop for less than 24 hours in Stockholm) - BCN

surface segment/open jaw

FCO-FRA-ALA (Almaty) (Destination)

ALA-ICN-SFO-LAS
Large backtracking to BCN. I would change the openjaw from ARN to FCO and buy a ticket for ARN-BCN on DY.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Large backtracking to BCN. I would change the openjaw from ARN to FCO and buy a ticket for ARN-BCN on DY.
Thanks. That would give me some more time in ARN and DY tickets look expensive.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CC Concierge, A3*G
Thanks. That would give me some more time in ARN and DY tickets look expensive.
Inexpensive or expensive? There's a lot of options for ARN-BCN - VY, DY, and SK (nonstop), as well as BT and AB (1-stop, low fares).
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Peppep
Inexpensive or expensive? There's a lot of options for ARN-BCN - VY, DY, and SK (nonstop), as well as BT and AB (1-stop, low fares).
Sorry, I meant inexpensive.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA-P, B6, DL, SW, SPG_M-P, AGR-S+
I just booked a J award ticket for a cruise out of BCN this summer. Ticketing is entirely on LH BOS-FRA-BCN, BCN-FRA-BOS, but J wasn't available for award redemption for that last FRA-BOS leg so that segment is in Y.

With that one last segment in Y, will the baggage limitations be based on J or Y rules?

Should I keep checking award availability for that last leg? If J award opens up (before my travel has started), can I modify just that segment and will it require paying a change fee to do so?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: USAirways Plat, Intercontinental Plat, SkyMiles Gold, Mileage Plus Gold
Help with LH F Award

Trying to book 2 F award seats ewr-muc on LH 413 for March 25th.
UA shows availability but 2 calls to the chairmans desk were unsuccessful.
1st call was a refusal to long sell the seats and the 2nd calls claimed to have done it, but said she did not get a confirmation from LH.
Complicating things is that I am changing the outbound of an existing ticket and they seem reluctant to mess with it for fear of losing the whole ticket if unsuccessful.

Can anyone confirm that the seats are in inventory? I don't want to keep calling if I am getting bad info from UA.

Also should I cancel the existing trip and call back to rebook or ask them to modify the existing reservation?

Feedback/help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Shawn
Old Dec 30, 2012, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by ImprovGal
Should I keep checking award availability for that last leg? If J award opens up (before my travel has started), can I modify just that segment and will it require paying a change fee to do so?
Well, I would so... The change will cost you $150.- per ticket and you would get what you paid for (with miles)... Then you would also not have any problem with the baggage allowance...
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'm sure if you broaden the scope or wait a while J availability will open up... also look for LX BCN-ZRH-BOS, better than LH.

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
KVS tool shows business class available but not first
Old Dec 30, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA, AS
On united.com it shows 2 F seats on LH 413 on 3/25. Also shown on AC Aeroplan. For me LH 413 doesn't even show up when checking UA awards on EF or KVS.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by shamun160
Trying to book 2 F award seats ewr-muc on LH 413 for March 25th.
For US DM miles? Have you even searched or bothered to read the posts on redemption for LH F?

Good luck. Try "search".
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: USAirways Plat, Intercontinental Plat, SkyMiles Gold, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by TPA us ff
For US DM miles? Have you even searched or bothered to read the posts on redemption for LH F?

Good luck. Try "search".
Did you bother to read my post prior to your condescending reply?

Clearly I have searched with the effort to long sale the ticket and hanging up and trying again.

If you have some nugget of info that could help perhaps you could show some kindness and offer it up.

Happy Holidays :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.