Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Open-jaw OR stopover. Not both. So either you have to take the stopover in SIN and pay for PER-SIN one-way, or there's no HNL stopover.
Many thanks for the quick reply.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:02 pm

Thanks for the responses

e-aviation
tlott

Are you booking one seat or two? Does AC/ANA show 1 seat available or 2? I was able to get 2 seats NRT-ZRH in LX F, but when we tried to get LX F ZRH-YUL, the agent saw 2 seats but when he assigned one to the first reservation (2 pax on individual reservations), he showed 0 seats remaining (I saw ANA and other tools update from 2 seats to 1 at the same time). Worked it for a good 20 minutes and couldn't get the 2nd seat. Maybe a similar issue. Maybe my NRT-ZRH flight had more than 2 available F seats - or maybe it is inconsistent. I read somewhere else in the thread that US sometimes has issues seeing inventory when there is only 1 seat available.
Just one as I already have the other on hold or if you look at it I want the two seats that were available for every other *A program before I put one on hold, which is not really a big ask. I guess try and try again. The stupid part is that LX generally only ever release 2 seats in first and it just depends on flight loads if it is released to just Miles and More or to the wider star alliance. To me it seems that as soon as LX sell a revenue seat in first they then remove the O class availability from Starnet but keep it on their own FF program, but until a revenue seat is sold then 2 seats remain on starnet at least this appears to be the case for ZRH-NRT. And unless I wait until 14 days before when LX might increase the number on starnet you cannot basically get two seats in first on Swiss using US Airways

Thanks for the replies though as sometimes on this massive thread it is hard to get an answer as everybody wants to know if they can fly this route or that.

I would almost think that the thread could be split between one for allowed routes etc and one for issues making the booking and then one even for successful redemption. Much like the BMI forum where they have one for call "center shenanigans", Successful redemption's, IS this route allowed etc.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by babs
Thanks for the responses

e-aviation
tlott

Just one as I already have the other on hold or if you look at it I want the two seats that were available for every other *A program before I put one on hold, which is not really a big ask. I guess try and try again. The stupid part is that LX generally only ever release 2 seats in first and it just depends on flight loads if it is released to just Miles and More or to the wider star alliance. To me it seems that as soon as LX sell a revenue seat in first they then remove the O class availability from Starnet but keep it on their own FF program, but until a revenue seat is sold then 2 seats remain on starnet at least this appears to be the case for ZRH-NRT. And unless I wait until 14 days before when LX might increase the number on starnet you cannot basically get two seats in first on Swiss using US Airways

Thanks for the replies though as sometimes on this massive thread it is hard to get an answer as everybody wants to know if they can fly this route or that.

I would almost think that the thread could be split between one for allowed routes etc and one for issues making the booking and then one even for successful redemption. Much like the BMI forum where they have one for call "center shenanigans", Successful redemption's, IS this route allowed etc.
Don't forget US states that it gets to choose the routing.

We spend a lot of time building itineraries and then find no availability. This could be solved by simply giving US the origin and arrival cities and asking them to construct the ticket. This is what all my (non-FT) friends have done and they have all eneded up with their flights fairly quickly.

We have seen some amazing itineraries posted here (8 stops in Asia to do a simple point to point!) - which were constructed by the call centre. So it seems they WILL get you where you need to go.

To me, first class is first class. I'm wanting the privacy. If I can get LX or LH that's a bonuss, but otherwise I'm happy with TG or TK or whatever else I'm given (and was pleasantly surprised by CA C class a couple of months ago!)
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:03 pm

It is a fairly straight forward MEL-LHR/ZRH-MEL

MEL-SYD(in order to fly first)-BKK-LHR / ZRH-NRT-BKK-MEL

and who wants to fly thai the whole way there and back

It appears
tlott is correct

The issue appears to be something in the US reservation system as I tried the day after which also had two seats in first which the agent confirmed to me before we started to build the ITN. however after one was taken the other one disappeared. If only BMI did not charge YQ on awards I would simply book it through them.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
This is a common problem when trying to book LH F while using Dividend Miles. US doesnt seem to see what ANA sees and it is put down to either an IT problem on the part of US or that they are blocking LH inventory. The technique is to ask the agent to do a Manual Sell aka a "Long Sell". Many agents reject this ploy saying they are not allowed. The legend is when you find one who agrees they magically find the seats you want and everyone lives happily ever after. Based on this phenomenon some argue that this is simply an IT problem and not actual blocking on the part US

This has been discussed extensively in the *A booking thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...erged-446.html

I tried everything to get an LH F award for my recent trip to CDG and I came up short. I finally settled for UA F and it was rather pleasant.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by babs
It is a fairly straight forward MEL-LHR/ZRH-MEL

MEL-SYD(in order to fly first)-BKK-LHR / ZRH-NRT-BKK-MEL

and who wants to fly thai the whole way there and back

It appears
tlott is correct

The issue appears to be something in the US reservation system as I tried the day after which also had two seats in first which the agent confirmed to me before we started to build the ITN. however after one was taken the other one disappeared. If only BMI did not charge YQ on awards I would simply book it through them.
Agree about the US res system.

But as for your itinerary, it's an extra 3000 odd miles, and a good 2889 back track on the NRT-BKK sector.

Is there any availability on LH to BKK or SIN? The ZRH-FRA or MUC sector may get you a remote gate and limo transfer from the plane and back! (plus the LH lounges are superb).

Ex SIN the SQ A380 is now available in business class. There's a mileage hit (pay First but travel biz) but cuts out SYD! (I have not flown SQ J long haul but would hazard a guess that SQ J service is on par with TG F?)
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Agree about the US res system.

Ex SIN the SQ A380 is now available in business class. There's a mileage hit (pay First but travel biz) but cuts out SYD! (I have not flown SQ J long haul but would hazard a guess that SQ J service is on par with TG F?)
Question re SQ A380 available in J for F miles - where did this come from? How do you find availability - ANA does not show any. Aeroplan shows some availability SIN<->SYD in J on the A380 but I have not tired to book. Sounds like great news if it's possible - worth paying F miles IMO.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:36 pm

Q re awards on Hawaiian SYD-HNL

I note on the US air award chart that you can get awards on Hawaiian Airways from SYD-HNL. Can this be used on an itinerary such as SYD-HNL (HA)-YVR (AC). How can one search for HA award availability?

While not an ideal routing (connections don't really work) and HA C class is sub-par but if it's the only option it may be worth trying.

Thanks.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by pschafer
I note on the US air award chart that you can get awards on Hawaiian Airways from SYD-HNL. Can this be used on an itinerary such as SYD-HNL (HA)-YVR (AC). How can one search for HA award availability?

While not an ideal routing (connections don't really work) and HA C class is sub-par but if it's the only option it may be worth trying.

Thanks.
Unless its changed, I believe HA rewards are only within Hawaii.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Nicksta
Unless its changed, I believe HA rewards are only within Hawaii.
Actually the award chart states that HA awards are also available on South Pacific flights - so I assumed this meant to/from Australia but maybe not.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Actually the award chart states that HA awards are also available on South Pacific flights - so I assumed this meant to/from Australia but maybe not.
It definitely does.

F) Award redemption on Hawaiian Airlines is available on Inter-Island and South Pacific flights only
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I note on the US air award chart that you can get awards on Hawaiian Airways from SYD-HNL. Can this be used on an itinerary such as SYD-HNL (HA)-YVR (AC).
Yes, you could do that.

How can one search for HA award availability?
You have to call.

I would start by looking at the HA website for award availability. I have no idea if they make the same seats available to their partners, but if I were trying to do it, I'd assume that it's pretty unlikely I'd get award space via US if HA doesn't even show it for their own members. I have no personal experience with it, but that's how I would approach it.

Yes, perhaps. But I suspect it won't come without a struggle.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Don't forget US states that it gets to choose the routing.

We spend a lot of time building itineraries and then find no availability. This could be solved by simply giving US the origin and arrival cities and asking them to construct the ticket. This is what all my (non-FT) friends have done and they have all eneded up with their flights fairly quickly.

We have seen some amazing itineraries posted here (8 stops in Asia to do a simple point to point!) - which were constructed by the call centre. So it seems they WILL get you where you need to go.

To me, first class is first class. I'm wanting the privacy. If I can get LX or LH that's a bonuss, but otherwise I'm happy with TG or TK or whatever else I'm given (and was pleasantly surprised by CA C class a couple of months ago!)
I always start by asking the airline by giving the dates, destination and stopover. They never come up with flights, or it is twice the miles. I then give them the available flights. One agent even waived the booking fee.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Question re SQ A380 available in J for F miles - where did this come from? How do you find availability - ANA does not show any. Aeroplan shows some availability SIN<->SYD in J on the A380 but I have not tired to book. Sounds like great news if it's possible - worth paying F miles IMO.
You should be able to book SQ C on SIN-SYD using C/J miles. What you can't do is book SQ F on A388/77W metal using F miles (you'll be in C, even if you pay for F cabins on the rest of your trip), because SQ wants a cool million KF miles for Suites/R class. I don't believe routes have opened up using 77W metal, either (but who knows- the only way to find out is to start looking, I think).

ANA does not show SQ C availability on A388/77W- they automatically filter it out and assume it's not there, even when it is. I believe Aeroplan and Award Nexus will (and, I suppose, KrisFlyer would show Saver). The routes where SQ C A388 availability has been reported at Saver/*A level are SIN-SYD and HKG-SIN. Realistically, this means AC Canada-HKG/SQ HKG-SIN-SYD should be available at the C redemption level for South Pacific (110,000 miles). Given that North America-Australia/NZ is one of the toughest *A awards out there, the fact that this option is open is really good news.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jul 20, 2011 at 10:45 am
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You should be able to book SQ C on SIN-SYD using C/J miles. What you can't do is book SQ F on A388/77W metal using F miles (you'll be in C, even if you pay for F cabins on the rest of your trip), because SQ wants a cool million KF miles for Suites/R class. I don't believe routes have opened up using 77W metal, either (but who knows- the only way to find out is to start looking, I think).

ANA does not show SQ C availability on A388/77W- they automatically filter it out and assume it's not there, even when it is. I believe Aeroplan and Award Nexus will (and, I suppose, KrisFlyer would show Saver). The routes where SQ C A388 availability has been reported at Saver/*A level are SIN-SYD and HKG-SIN. Realistically, this means AC Canada-HKG/SQ HKG-SIN-SYD should be available at the C redemption level for South Asia (110,000 miles). Given that North America-Australia/NZ is one of the toughest *A awards out there, the fact that this option is open is really good news.
In this same vein, any experience with the flights on the all C 345? I'd love to try the EWR-SIN routing, but have pretty much considered it null and void as an option since I first started using US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.