Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:05 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know if US Airway will let me book the following route?

SEA-> LA/SF (transfer) -> TPE (destination)
TPE->SEA (Stopover) -> Tokyo (destination)

Can I make Tokyo as my destination after Seattle? or is it I can only go to any North American city (LA, JFK...etc) as my final destination after stopping over at Seattle?

Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by apple1122
Hi,

Can I make Tokyo as my destination after Seattle? or is it I can only go to any North American city (LA, JFK...etc) as my final destination after stopping over at Seattle?

Thanks!
yes that is possible, however it will be charged as two separate award tickets.

the second ticket will be one way charged the same as a return, so you might as well add a return to that for free.

if you just want one award ticket, SEA-TPE and back, then if you fly back to SEA that's where the ticket will finish you could fly back via another port and then onto another city as an open jaw... but returning via SEA will potentially finish your ticket at that point.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:24 pm

Thanks...

I just want to book one business award ticket using 90K US Airways Mile. It seems like I cannot make Tokyo as my final destination. Can I finish my trip at JFK ? or does it have to be Seattle?

TPE -> SEA (stopover 1 month) -> JFK (final destination)

Thanks...

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
yes that is possible, however it will be charged as two separate award tickets.

the second ticket will be one way charged the same as a return, so you might as well add a return to that for free.

if you just want one award ticket, SEA-TPE and back, then if you fly back to SEA that's where the ticket will finish you could fly back via another port and then onto another city as an open jaw... but returning via SEA will potentially finish your ticket at that point.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks...

I just want to book one business award ticket using 90K US Airways Mile. It seems like I cannot make Tokyo as my final destination. Can I finish my trip at JFK ? or does it have to be Seattle?

TPE -> SEA (stopover 1 month) -> JFK (final destination)

Thanks...
yes but no...

there is no problem to open jaw your ticket on the return... flying back to JFK is ok, BUT, you cannot have a stopover AND and open jaw on the one ticket.

if you flew straight back (not stopover) TPE-JFK that should be ok, provided you don't use SEA as your transit point (once you return to your city of origin, ie SEA, then the airlines may want to terminate your ticket there)

have you read the USDM membership guide? it's only short and answers many of your questions including routing restrictions.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:42 pm

Hi,

But it would ok for the following route instead? If my flight starts in Seattle, but does not end in Seattle, that'd be an open jaw ticket?

SEA->TPE (destination)
TPE-> JFK (stopover) -> SEA (final destination)

Thanks.

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
yes but no...

there is no problem to open jaw your ticket on the return... flying back to JFK is ok, BUT, you cannot have a stopover AND and open jaw on the one ticket.

if you flew straight back (not stopover) TPE-JFK that should be ok, provided you don't use SEA as your transit point (once you return to your city of origin, ie SEA, then the airlines may want to terminate your ticket there)

have you read the USDM membership guide? it's only short and answers many of your questions including routing restrictions.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

But it would ok for the following route instead? If my flight starts in Seattle, but does not end in Seattle, that'd be an open jaw ticket?

SEA->TPE (destination)
TPE-> JFK (stopover) -> SEA (final destination)

Thanks.
you could try it.

but the stopover is not on the most direct route home right? So they may knock it back on that basis.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Hi,

Is this a serious question? Crossing the Pacific 3x on one ticket???
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:08 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Is this a serious question? Crossing the Pacific 3x on one ticket???
That's just the outbound!!!
Old Feb 2, 2014, 1:29 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by soy
That's just the outbound!!!
ROFL. Even I would tell you that's never, ever going to happen. Many agents may be geographically challenged but they don't need to know where these cities are to know you can't visit Seattle twice in one direction. Not to mention you have 2 stopovers in addition to your point of turnaround (TPE, SEA, NRT).

US may be flexible but you can't just book anything you want at the 90K level haha. It has to look vaguely legitimate.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:31 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA , SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, United, Aeroplan, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga

Check out the *A timetable that give you all connections between two cities...
If US can see LH you can book it, if not not... It's as easy... No workaround.
what do you mean by the *A timetables?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frankpark9
what do you mean by the *A timetables?
on the star alliance website you can use the search function. it will give you all 'reasonable' connections.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 4:29 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Hi,

Thanks!
Yeah, so not going to happen.

Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by iahphx
I can't seem to find any recent discussion on this. If I want to redeem Dividend Miles for travel to their "South Pacific" zone (which I presume encompasses Australia, New Zealand, and the So. Pac. islands) can I transit through Europe?

I'm actually not really interested in the European stopover (although I assume it would be allowed); I'm more interested in the award availability. And, from the USA East Coast, some of these routings are not crazy.

BTW, I assume only one stopover would be allowed? What if a flight only operates, 2 or 3x a week? Can you then "force" another stopover? Or is it all YMMV with such US awards?

And, FYI, these routings used to be allowed on UA, but they seem to have stopped them last year.

Thanks.
Just booked JFK-LHR-BKK-MEL(18hours)-AKL-LAX-JFK

Last edited by stockmanjr; Feb 2, 2014 at 11:42 am
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: QF,US,ANA
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Just booked JFK-LHR-BKK-MEL(18hours)-AKL-LAX-JFK
Nice trip , did you get C from AKL-LAX ?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA, AMEX, MARRIOTT, ANA, UAL, CHASE
Can I change airlines after the merger?

I'm scheduled to fly, LAX-PEK-HKG at the end of April, on Air China in Business Class using my US Airways miles for a partner award to SE Asia.

Once the merger occurs would I be able to change to the direct LAX-HKG on Cathay Pacific... paying the change fee?

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.