Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
then you need to get on to USDM, say you have just spoken to TG/LH etc and say they told you they don't have any reservation for you. all they have is a cancelled flight.

if necessary, escalate to a supervisor.

is the UA sector stand-alone or are there flights connecting immediately before or after the UA flight? if it is the latter then e UA reservation should also show the connecting flights if they are correctly processed.
Cheers, waiting in line now on the phone.

UA is FRA-LHR (LH) and LHR-ORD (UA). Both are visible on UA.com
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
It can sometimes be solved via long sell if there is indeed availability.
... what US Rep were not allowed to do ...
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
It can sometimes be solved via long sell if there is indeed availability.
Long sell is dead!! Long live long sell!!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by msiamsia
misspelled. Of course, Aug 8, 2014!! lol
You know you can go and edit the original post to correct the date.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:57 pm

I have been in queue for 1 Hr 47 mins.

Is this standard at this time? Any way to make sure I haven't been forgotten.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by davem4
I have been in queue for 1 Hr 47 mins.

Is this standard at this time? Any way to make sure I haven't been forgotten.
I usually call after dinner (around 8pm) Australian Eastern time. Usually quiet then.

there is a travel advisory on at them moment so i would expect call wait times to be lengthy - but that said I got through in the last one immediately.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I usually call after dinner (around 8pm) Australian Eastern time. Usually quiet then.

there is a travel advisory on at them moment so i would expect call wait times to be lengthy - but that said I got through in the last one immediately.
Ok off to home I go.

Cheers for the help. Hopefully this 6th agent knows how to resolve.

Hung up called again, answered within 15 seconds :-/

Last edited by davem4; Jan 21, 2014 at 12:25 am
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
... what US Rep were not allowed to do ...
May I ask what long sell is?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by davem4
Ok off to home I go.

Cheers for the help. Hopefully this 6th agent knows how to resolve.

Hung up called again, answered within 15 seconds :-/
They have "reissued" and i got the receipt in my email again.

OA (operating airlines) yet to come back with CONF numbers. Agent said she did all she can do, call back tomorrow.

EDIT: All still broken

Last edited by davem4; Jan 21, 2014 at 3:58 am
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:56 am

US Blackout Dates - North America vs. Europe?

I received some information from a US Air booking agent that I simply don't trust because I've been misinformed before.
  1. She said that I can't book ANY *A flight on a US Air blackout date.
  2. She said that if flying from USA/Canada to Europe, both the North America AND the Europe blackout dates apply

As an example:

Suppose I'd like to fly Air Canada from YYZ-FCO on July 19, 2014. This is NOT allowed because US Air's Europe blackout dates for July include the 19th (LINK). Similarly I wouldn't be able to fly July 6 because that is on North America's blackout date list.

Are both of the statements above true from your experience?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS Gold75k, WN CP, Starwood Gold
Seems like long wait times today due to weather. Any experience on best time to call?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by tzoom84
I received some information from a US Air booking agent that I simply don't trust because I've been misinformed before.
  1. She said that I can't book ANY *A flight on a US Air blackout date.
  2. She said that if flying from USA/Canada to Europe, both the North America AND the Europe blackout dates apply

As an example:

Suppose I'd like to fly Air Canada from YYZ-FCO on July 19, 2014. This is NOT allowed because US Air's Europe blackout dates for July include the 19th (LINK). Similarly I wouldn't be able to fly July 6 because that is on North America's blackout date list.

Are both of the statements above true from your experience?
No
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by wywy88
May I ask what long sell is?
Sell something that you don't own or have

No seats show up as available to the USDM CSR, but she sends a message to the other * alliance partner airline and the partner airline may come back with seat.

Does not happen any more with USDM as apparently these agents have been instructed not to long sell

Last edited by SingaporeDon; Jan 21, 2014 at 10:54 am
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by briansee
Seems like long wait times today due to weather. Any experience on best time to call?
Are people able to get to an agent at all? I keep getting a message saying "We want to provide you with the best possible service, but we have too many calls now. Please try another time." I'm not even being put on hold.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by jimindc
Are people able to get to an agent at all? I keep getting a message saying "We want to provide you with the best possible service, but we have too many calls now. Please try another time." I'm not even being put on hold.

I got that error messgae yeterday aroun 10PM EST. I called back and didn't get it. But I waited ~45minutes and didn't get anyone. I've been on hold for ~30 min today so far and am about to give up. First time booking with US Air over the phone. I hope it's just today that these insane wait times occur.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.