Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by nz09
hello,
does anyone have any insight why award availability in C on SQ going ADL - SIN or vice versa is zero in April and October?

it used to be wide open almost every day of the year and I booked it for several years no matter what the dates. now it seems you can only book 2 weeks in advance.
See post 19348 and following on from there. And http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...leads-members/ comments on it. Seems to be SQ's doing.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by flashware
Why wouldn't you purchase travel insurance? As they say.. if you can't afford TI, you can't afford to fly
TI is a common purchase in many parts of the world, but doesn't seem to be common in the US. So "they" don't say that here.

Can someone on this thread educate those of us that are TI-ignorant on how this works with award travel? Last time I investigated, I couldn't find clear language on what exactly would be covered if you needed to cancel a trip before leaving or make a change after departure (US doesn't allow the latter).
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by freakazoid
Schedule changes on the other hand are something US normally would have to sort out. If this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-d...ay-2012-a.html BMI thread is any indication, after 30. March US won't see any inventory and can only confirm schedule changes. Small changes (flight time moved a bit) probably will be corrected automatically, but bigger changes (flight no longer offered) could mean human intervention is needed. As US can't do anything you need to have luck that the former *A partner is willing to work with you and change the ticket, so US can confirm it. Otherwise you'd be forced to cancel the trip and get it refunded.
On more reason not to fly on USDM award when they're out of *A
Old Dec 24, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by cedricgerald
Quote:

Originally Posted by nz09

hello,
does anyone have any insight why award availability in C on SQ going ADL - SIN or vice versa is zero in April and October?

it used to be wide open almost every day of the year and I booked it for several years no matter what the dates. now it seems you can only book 2 weeks in advance.

is this temporary or final like on LH?

Usually you can't book J / F on SQ Long haul using USDM.
This statement isn't quite correct. The restriction used to be on the A380, 777-300ER and A340 flights. The mid haul A330 flights between Australia and Singapore have always been bookable and intra Asia as well. This is a recent change by SQ which seems to have been reflected across all *A carriers programs.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 2:07 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by MPScan
I just booked a pacific trip from Boston to about four locations for next May with my USDM. I had options on Asiana, Eva, etc... but I actually purposefully chose United flights. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I sort of felt more comfortable being on US Airways "closest" partner rather than an Asian carrier for exactly these reasons. Of course, that has never been said and there is no reason to expect United to accommodate me any better than another A* partner in May 2014, but for some reason it just makes a little sense to me.... I think.
I'm not really sure if there is any closeness at all between United and US.... I wouldn't really count on them to "scratch each others back..." I would have gone with some of the other star airlines mostly due to the fact that they traditionally have better customer service.... though after March 30th who knows; all bets are off I have a feeling..

FDW
Old Dec 24, 2013, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by travelislife
This statement isn't quite correct. The restriction used to be on the A380, 777-300ER and A340 flights. The mid haul A330 flights between Australia and Singapore have always been bookable and intra Asia as well. This is a recent change by SQ which seems to have been reflected across all *A carriers programs.
Thank you for the info
Old Dec 24, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
I just booked a pacific trip from Boston to about four locations for next May with my USDM. I had options on Asiana, Eva, etc... but I actually purposefully chose United flights. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I sort of felt more comfortable being on US Airways "closest" partner rather than an Asian carrier for exactly these reasons. Of course, that has never been said and there is no reason to expect United to accommodate me any better than another A* partner in May 2014, but for some reason it just makes a little sense to me.... I think.
I think you made three mistakes.
1) you chose a poorer product - UA;
2) US already announced that it will maintain certain relationship with EVA post its exit from *A. In the meantime, US and UA already parted ways in terms of codeshare. So in term of closeness, EVA will be closer to US than UA post *A exit;
3) UA tends to tinker its schedule quite a bit, while EVA/Asiana have their TPAC route schedules fixed a year in advance.

I would have chosen the other way if I were you.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
TI is a common purchase in many parts of the world, but doesn't seem to be common in the US. So "they" don't say that here.

Can someone on this thread educate those of us that are TI-ignorant on how this works with award travel? Last time I investigated, I couldn't find clear language on what exactly would be covered if you needed to cancel a trip before leaving or make a change after departure (US doesn't allow the latter).
I don't believe it works any differently whether award travel or regular travel. I guess it depends on why the change needed to be made. Personally, i've made a claim when I lost my job (which was covered under my policy). As it was an award ticket, they reimbursed me the DM award cancellation fee, all other flights I had prebooked that were non refundable as well as non refundable prepaid hotel accomodation.

I've also had to make a claim on a visit to NYC Christmas time. I was sitting on a plane at JFK a few years ago when they closed the airport due to a blizzard. UA weren't able to rebook me till a week later. Insurance covered my week accomodation and other expenses. If I had to get home earlier and had bought another ticket on a different airline they'd have paid for that too.

Most policies would pretty cover as standard medical expenses, luggage and personal effects, cancellation fees, travel delays, medical evac, delayed luggage, liability, rental vehicle excess (unlike the US our credit cards do not normally come with car rental insurance), plus a number of other things.

goodo
Old Dec 24, 2013, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by goodo
I don't believe it works any differently whether award travel or regular travel.
Per the insurance info I've read so far, that's incorrect. Most policies do not cover this. There are a few that mention it, but the amount covered is pretty minimal. Could be yet another locale-specific difference.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Per the insurance info I've read so far, that's incorrect. Most policies do not cover this. There are a few that mention it, but the amount covered is pretty minimal. Could be yet another locale-specific difference.
Most policies don't cover what specifically? Award travel? I've never seen a travel insurance policy that specifies it won't cover award travel. A plane ticket is a ticket no matter how you paid for it. And I checked 2 of the larger insurance companies in Australia - unlimited cover for cancellation fees and covers frequent flyer points.

goodo

Last edited by goodo; Dec 24, 2013 at 6:32 pm
Old Dec 24, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Oh my God, noooooooooooo! If you have options on Asian airlines over UA, you should really consider paying the $150 change fee and re-booking. The level of service on most Asian airlines blows away what you will find on UA. Actually, it would be helpful if you could share your UA itinerary and your other Asian-airline option with us for closer examination.

Please use this format so it's easier for us to compare:
JFK-ICN OZ F
ICN-PEK CA J
PEK-BKK TG F (2 weeks stop)
BKK-SYD TG F (4 days stop)
SYD-BKK TG F
BKK-ZRH TG F
ZRH-FRA LX J
FRA-YYZ AC J (3 days stop before going back to ny)
Old Dec 24, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Why should MPScan post his routing if he is happy with his booking on UA???
Old Dec 24, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS Gold75k, WN CP, Starwood Gold
Data point: I was just able to put a LH J award on hold that departed on a Saturday.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by goodo
A plane ticket is a ticket no matter how you paid for it.
Not true.
And I checked 2 of the larger insurance companies in Australia
Ah, there's you're problem - I'm not in Australia
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Why should MPScan post his routing if he is happy with his booking on UA???
Because his reason for choosing UA has no basis in fact. Plus, he'll very likely get much better service (and be much happier) with Asian airlines. But since there are a few exceptions (depending on route/carrier), it would be helpful to see both options to determine what would be best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.