Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: US lowlife
Trying to see if I could get a *A award for PHL/EWR-YYZ-UVF on a mixture of US/AC but I'm not sure if YYZ-UVF qualifies since I believe its flown by WestJet. Anyone confirm this? Trying to see what works - looks like US and UA both have limited flight schedules (read: no weekday flights).

JC
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:39 am
zh

Programs: TK *G, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond,UA Silver
Originally Posted by jcooke
Trying to see if I could get a *A award for PHL/EWR-YYZ-UVF on a mixture of US/AC but I'm not sure if YYZ-UVF qualifies since I believe its flown by WestJet. Anyone confirm this? Trying to see what works - looks like US and UA both have limited flight schedules (read: no weekday flights).

JC
Not sure what Westjet has to do with *A, but there are flights on AC from YYZ-UVF and YUL-UVF - all depends on when you want to go as these are seasonal flights. Check out the flight schedule on aircanada.ca

ZH
Old Oct 21, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: US lowlife
Originally Posted by zh
Not sure what Westjet has to do with *A, but there are flights on AC from YYZ-UVF and YUL-UVF - all depends on when you want to go as these are seasonal flights. Check out the flight schedule on aircanada.ca

ZH
I think I was getting WestJet mixed up with AC as a subsidiary. Nevermind on that part.

But if the schedules do work is that a valid routing to go US-YYZ-UVF or the return on a *A award?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I have a schedule change and the website shows the accept changes button. I am not sure if I want to take the flight and am wondering if I can ignore till I finalize my trip. If I do not accept it, will i run the risk of US not sending my eticket to partners that could result in cancellation?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Does US really not refund award ticket fees? Flight change caused an illegal connection and no options exist that I'm currently willing to take. They're happy to refund mileage without a fee, but claim award processing fee is non-refundable?
Yes they do, however I don't know about award processng fee.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
...They're happy to refund mileage without a fee, but claim award processing fee is non-refundable?
The DM membership guide states that the award processing fee is non-refundable -
The processing and quick-ticketing fees are non-refundable and waived for Dividend Miles Gold, Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members ...
Old Oct 21, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Originally Posted by jcooke
I think I was getting WestJet mixed up with AC as a subsidiary. Nevermind on that part.

But if the schedules do work is that a valid routing to go US-YYZ-UVF or the return on a *A award?
Your best option would be to route via PHL.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:22 pm

Im currently routed from SFO-TPE in business for 90k Miles. If I want to change my destination to SIN (but still fly the SFO-TPE flight to get there), do I simply add on the segments to my existing booking and pay the change fee and more miles? Or do I recreate a whole new itinerary.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by hamburglar
Im currently routed from SFO-TPE in business for 90k Miles. If I want to change my destination to SIN (but still fly the SFO-TPE flight to get there), do I simply add on the segments to my existing booking and pay the change fee and more miles? Or do I recreate a whole new itinerary.
they should be able to do this by an itinerary change. if you run into resistance call again... unless there is still availability on the SFO-TPE sector then it dun matter.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 2:28 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Hi everybody. I'm about to make my first ever booking using dividend miles.

Currently I see F availability:

LHR-BKK on the new TG 747.
BKK-HND on the older TG 747.
NRT-LHR in ANA square F (77W). <-super excited about this!

Usually ANA only allows RT awards, will a US agent be able to book one way without doing a long-sell?

Also, I'd like to add some ANA domestic segments so I can go snowboarding in Sapporo. Anybody have experience adding domestic segments to a US award reservation?

I can't view domestic availability directly as ANA only allows this 2 months out (my trip will be in Feb). Should I just try suggesting individual flights taken from ANA's schedules?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 2:32 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by Jermyn
Usually ANA only allows RT awards, will a US agent be able to book one way without doing a long-sell?

Also, I'd like to add some ANA domestic segments so I can go snowboarding in Sapporo. Anybody have experience adding domestic segments to a US award reservation?

I can't view domestic availability directly as ANA only allows this 2 months out (my trip will be in Feb). Should I just try suggesting individual flights taken from ANA's schedules?
ANA's award rules aren't relevant to a USDM booking. However NH is one of US's problem airlines when it comes to agents saying no when other tools say yes. All you can do is ask and see what they say...however if they say no, they can't see it, you can safely assume that that won't change.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 4:26 am

LHR-BKK on the new TG 747.
BKK-HND on the older TG 747.
NRT-LHR in ANA square F (77W). <-super excited about this!

I don't know the answer to the domestic segment question, but you have LHR-BKK-HND/NRT-LHR, so where is the one way that you're trying to book? that's a RT!

goodo
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
flying PHL/CLT mid-November. Am GS and Gold Star Alliance flyer. Will tht mean anything like early boarding/upgrade chances or will i be a pariah then?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA

AFAIK the NH domestic flights were not so easy available and bookable. Don't have the exact restrictions in mind...

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
However NH is one of US's problem airlines when it comes to agents saying no when other tools say yes. All you can do is ask and see what they say...however if they say no, they can't see it, you can safely assume that that won't change.
Just booked yesterday LHR-NRT/F on NH, including a NH connecting flight in C within Asia. I or my CSR did not have any problems booking the flights
Old Oct 22, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Hi All,

Booked a ticket yesterday and the middle names are incorrect.

OLLET, MATTHEWCHRISTOPHERJOHN is on the booking

OLLET, MATTHEWCHRISTOPHERJAMES is the passengers real name.

Birthdate in booking is correct.

Only booked about 13 hours ago, is it possible to get this fixed up, or would such a small difference not really matter? Is it a simple change for US airways?

3/4 names correct. Birthdate correct.

Last edited by davem4; Oct 22, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.