Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AndrewE
Sorry for the newbie question. Would a booking from North America to South Africa (CPT) via Singapore be permissible as long as the 4 segment rule per direction is not exceeded? Or is there some sort of mileage restriction? For example:

YOW-FRA-SIN (stop) – JNB-CPT (destination)

Thanks!
Your proposed routing is going way beyond the most direct routing (>50% increase in mileage). I would say even if it's 4 segments or less, what you're proposing won't be allowed.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:13 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by AndrewE
Sorry for the newbie question. Would a booking from North America to South Africa (CPT) via Singapore be permissible as long as the 4 segment rule per direction is not exceeded? Or is there some sort of mileage restriction? For example:

YOW-FRA-SIN (stop) – JNB-CPT (destination)

Thanks!
I don't think you have much chance getting that ticketed. If you really want a stop in SIN you would have more chance trying to get something like YOW-ORD-ICN-SIN-JNB-CPT as there isn't any backtracking. Still probably won't be allowed. ZRH-JNB with LX would be a nice option. Nice F product and will soon be refitted with new fully flat J.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pogonation
ZRH-JNB with LX would be a nice option. Nice F product and will soon be refitted with new fully flat J.
Depending on how you define "soon" - most likely not within the next 12 months. More info in this thread.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:33 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by pogonation
I have been trying to book a very similar trip. Just wondering if you got charged 100k miles or 110k? I keep getting told 100k but after it has been sent to get the taxes loaded I am told 110k.
I got an AMAZING Agent called xxxxx and it was all done within 20mins for 100,000miles.

She was also able to get me (on hold):

SZG-FRA OS J
FRA-ICN LH F
ICN-LAX OZ F
LAX-JFK UA F
JFK-ZRH LX F
ZRH-FRA LH J
FRA-SZG OS J

for 100,000 miles!!! And that's a RTW ticket! :-D Don't ask me how!

Last edited by vysean; Apr 5, 2010 at 12:56 pm Reason: remove agent's name
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:52 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by QFBoy
I got an AMAZING Agent called xxxxx and it was all done within 20mins for 100,000miles.

She was also able to get me (on hold):

SZG-FRA OS J
FRA-ICN LH F
ICN-LAX OZ F
LAX-JFK UA F
JFK-ZRH LX F
ZRH-FRA LH J
FRA-SZG OS J

for 100,000 miles!!! And that's a RTW ticket! :-D Don't ask me how!
Unfortunately just because you got an agent to put it on hold does not prove you will actually get it booked. It really doesn't pay to try and do something like that unless you intend on booking it as soon as you get it, because all it means is someone else will be looking at it, and I have had an agent question a perfectly legal itinerary previously reserved but not booked by another agent.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 1:02 pm

Yeah, I really should have booked there and then but I was in shock after she gave me the routing and told me it was 100k...I couldn't make a decision on the spot... :-O
Old Apr 5, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
ANA Tool's LX availability IS NOT same as US Air's

I clearly saw availability on LX Geneva - JFK in F via the ANA tool. Called US Air; only business and economy available....

SO frustrating....I had spent a couple hours jigging by itinerary....now wasted...
Old Apr 5, 2010, 3:28 pm

Thank you, everyone, for helpful comments.

Just managed to book the exact TATL itinerary I searched for on ANA.

It took 2 tries, but the second agent was extremely helpful and patient with me guiding her through the available segments. I am bringing my parents to the U.S. for the first time using miles from the Track-It-Back promo
Old Apr 5, 2010, 9:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by blueline7
I clearly saw availability on LX Geneva - JFK in F via the ANA tool. Called US Air; only business and economy available....

SO frustrating....I had spent a couple hours jigging by itinerary....now wasted...
That's the same problem I'm fighting for JFK-GVA. It's certainly unusual. I just checked again and still nothing despite ANA tool showing 1 seat. Running with the theory that maybe they were starting to block or something, I found another day that had at least 4 seats. I asked how many seats were available on that day, and the answer was 4.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
That's the same problem I'm fighting for JFK-GVA. It's certainly unusual. I just checked again and still nothing despite ANA tool showing 1 seat. Running with the theory that maybe they were starting to block or something, I found another day that had at least 4 seats. I asked how many seats were available on that day, and the answer was 4.
Guys I don't think this has anything to do with blocking. Why would they only do it to one carrier?

I think it's an IT issue.

Have any of you tried redeeming CO miles for these seats (even just as a dummy booking)? That would be my first step before deciding it was a US problem or even something more nefarious.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:16 am

EDIT: Never mind. I misread vysean's question.

Last edited by goliath; Apr 6, 2010 at 11:43 am
Old Apr 6, 2010, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Contra the above comments, I have seen US AIrways be ok with North American to JNB via Singapore on multiple occasions.

I haven't been trying for LX award space via US yet, but so far in my experience (a dozen or so segments), the ANA website matches LX availability as booked via CO.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:03 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by goliath
I have unsuccessfully tried redeeming CO miles for LX seats showing on ANA, see post # 1472 in this thread:

At least the BKK - ZRH flight was clearly showing a difference between ANA and CO availability. For the PVG - ZRH flight, it could also have been LX inventory control working its magic.
I didn't see anything in post 1472 about checking CO availability.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Ripper3785
I didn't see anything in post 1472 about checking CO availability.
You are right, I didn't properly read the question. I only checked US availability.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Managed to get my itinerary ticketed after my itinerary went through 3 supervisors. It's a fairly complicated routing but I wanted to visit shanghai and Seoul and also wanted to get as much F class as possible and add UA and OZ F to my log. I added one intra europe ticket to it using my BMI miles as well.

CDG-BKK TG F (on the newly acquired Jet airways 77W with suites in F)
BKK-PVG TG F (20 hour transit)
PVG-ICN OZ F (22 hour transit)
ICN-NRT UA F (destination)
NRT-BKK TG F (Jet airways 77W suites again)
BKK-ZRH LX F
(ZRH-CDG LX C (throw away leg))

booked with BMI:
ZRH-FRA LH C
FRA-MAN LH C (First time in FCT)

also ticketed the same for the girlfriend except she is travelling FRA-BKK on the way out a month before me.

Was charged 110k miles per person.

Looking forward to the trip. Might even write a trip-report for once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.