Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to book J seat to London -- Desperate!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2005, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Silver, Hyatt
Unhappy Trying to book J seat to London -- Desperate!

Hi,

I've played almost all the cards I think I know how to play, yet the one that seems most likely to work doesn't seem to work right!

The deal: I will be in London for business for about a month, and I need to get a business class seat for my wife to join me there from Chicago. Alas, I can find NO WAY to spend my 300k+ US miles or 100k AA miles to get one. (am looking at Oct 1 dept and Oct 16 return)

I am open to just about any suggestion at this point... But my biggest question is in regards to the so-called "Premium" award. On expertflyer.com I can see open seats on all the flights to LGW on Oct 1 yet when I tried to book via the usairways.com site OR the phone resv agents, they say there's no availability?

Can anyone offer me any hope?

Thanks in advance,

--goneflyin
Old Sep 4, 2005, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by goneflyin
Hi,

I've played almost all the cards I think I know how to play, yet the one that seems most likely to work doesn't seem to work right!

The deal: I will be in London for business for about a month, and I need to get a business class seat for my wife to join me there from Chicago. Alas, I can find NO WAY to spend my 300k+ US miles or 100k AA miles to get one. (am looking at Oct 1 dept and Oct 16 return)

I am open to just about any suggestion at this point... But my biggest question is in regards to the so-called "Premium" award. On expertflyer.com I can see open seats on all the flights to LGW on Oct 1 yet when I tried to book via the usairways.com site OR the phone resv agents, they say there's no availability?

Can anyone offer me any hope?

Thanks in advance,

--goneflyin
That's really odd.

I can pull up the 160K Enovy Premium Award on those dates no sweat. These awards do pull for all Enovy seats and there is availability trying to book it online using the 160K button through both PHL or CLT in both directions.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 12:38 pm

I too can bring up the seats. However, and this is just a shot in the dark, there is a stipulation that some of the premium awards can only be booked by preferred members. http://www.usairways.com/dividendmil...avel_chart.htm seems to indicate that this restriction is only for domestic coach tickets, but I wouldn't be shocked if whoever wrote the program placed the restriction on all premium awards.

Another option is getting a star alliance award. I see availability on Air Canada via Montreal in J on your dates. You'll need to ask the US agent to check AC specifically since most will just run the standard US check unless you ask otherwise. That should be 80k miles.

You might also consider trading for UA miles. There are many ORD-LHR options in J on your dates for the 150k standard award.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by johnep1
I too can bring up the seats. However, and this is just a shot in the dark, there is a stipulation that some of the premium awards can only be booked by preferred members. http://www.usairways.com/dividendmil...avel_chart.htm seems to indicate that this restriction is only for domestic coach tickets, but I wouldn't be shocked if whoever wrote the program placed the restriction on all premium awards.
The only award that can't be booked by non-preferreds is the 40K fall/winter discount Premium Coach award. Non-preferreds just have to book the 50K year round.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by sts603
The only award that can't be booked by non-preferreds is the 40K fall/winter discount Premium Coach award. Non-preferreds just have to book the 50K year round.
I understand that. I was just speculating as to why the US agent told the OP that the premium envoy award was not available.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sts603
That's really odd.

I can pull up the 160K Enovy Premium Award on those dates no sweat. These awards do pull for all Enovy seats and there is availability trying to book it online using the 160K button through both PHL or CLT in both directions.
Thanks so much for taking the trouble to check it out yourself

It seemed ok to me as well -- but when I selected the specific flights and went to the next screen (a confirmation screen), the actual award was somehow changed to the 100k Premium coach award, and when I clicked 'select seats' the options offered were all in coach -- not envoy.

--goneflyin
Old Sep 4, 2005, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnep1
I understand that. I was just speculating as to why the US agent told the OP that the premium envoy award was not available.
As much as I hate to say it, the agent on the other end of the line didn't seem to quite "get it" as much as a more experienced agent might have. Perhaps this is one of the negative effects of outsourcing the agents (I also noticed a distinct non-american accent -- with both agents with whom I spoke -- implying it may be an overseas call center).

Before giving up I may call back once more and make my requests more clear.

Thx,

--goneflyin
Old Sep 4, 2005, 9:09 pm

I would definately go for the AC award - their J is quite a bit better than US' C and you are avoiding YYZ which is a horrible place to connect. Plus it's a standard award, so half the points.

Last edited by cedric; Sep 4, 2005 at 9:12 pm
Old Sep 4, 2005, 9:43 pm
Suspended

As much as I hate to say it, the agent on the other end of the line didn't seem to quite "get it" as much as a more experienced agent might have. Perhaps this is one of the negative effects of outsourcing the agents (I also noticed a distinct non-american accent -- with both agents with whom I spoke -- implying it may be an overseas call center).

Before giving up I may call back once more and make my requests more clear.

Thx,

--goneflyin
I would. Or perhaps call usairways.com support to ask why it is switching. If not, call Consumer Affairs - it's not there department in terms of making reservations but if you really can't seem to get a 160K Premium Envoy to book then it may be worth a shot.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 1:20 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
Try calling during normal business hours on a weekday, to try and speak with a international agent who knows what they are doing.

Find out where the problem is (e.g., ORD-PHL or is it the PHL-LGW leg) -- then you can try to find a way around it.

Also, be sure to check surrounding dates, or as others here have said other partner airlines (maybe even Lufthansa).
Old Sep 5, 2005, 6:00 am

It's a website glitch

Did this last year on a flight to FCO. The notorious US website will not let you book, although an option, a premium business class ticket. You have to call and get the $10 charge. It shows they are available, but when you try to book it, it drops you to a premium coach ticket. Why in almost a year did I expect US to fix teh website. I sure hope HP's IT department is better.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I wouldnt try this on the website. I suggest calling and having them check not only US but *alliance. They have a lot more availability. United has a bunch of flights from not only ORD but IAD and one a day (2 until later this fall) from JFK to LHR. If really no other options you could even try LH to Frankfurt and a short hop to London on British Midland.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Make them look for a *A award.. there's always AC ex-YUL or YYZ, OS ex-VIE, LH ex-FRA or MUC... If that doesn't work, go really nuts.. TP, SK, or LO?
Old Sep 5, 2005, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
And by the way, coming from Chicago I would take UAs business class product to LHR in a heartbeat over the US product connecting in PHL or even CLT. And I flew both about 4 times each last year (although out of JFK on UA, not ORD).
Old Sep 9, 2005, 10:11 am

Programs: AA-CK; Hilton-D; Marriott
Thanks so much for taking the trouble to check it out yourself

It seemed ok to me as well -- but when I selected the specific flights and went to the next screen (a confirmation screen), the actual award was somehow changed to the 100k Premium coach award, and when I clicked 'select seats' the options offered were all in coach -- not envoy.

--goneflyin
I remember having the same thing happen a while ago (an ENVOY award switching to a 100K coach seat), but it was cleared up immediately with a call to customer service. Sounds like you just got someone without experience. Trying another call might work.

I have found it virtually impossible to book upper class seats on any *A equipment without releasing premium miles. Had a United agent actually tell me that the standard award levels are not released to US members. So getting that Envoy seat might be your only chance. Hope you get it for her.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.