Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Policy on Flights out of New Orleans?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2005, 8:04 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Joe Airman
The problem with New Orleans (not necessarily MSY) is that just because MSY becomes operable doesn't mean that the original reason you wanted to go to New Orleans is still valid.

Trouble is, neither I (nor the person/institution I'm going down for) know when they will be ready for my visit. It's just not acceptible (not reasonable) for an airline to force me, within the next week or two, to select a new departure date (and then put up with the song-and-dance of seat availability and possible differences in fare classes and prices compared to what I originally booked).

I'd rather take a refund to my credit card now and book later when the time is right (which could be months from now).

Lots of convention travel to New Orleans has been thrown into chaos. I'm sure there will be thousands of people in this situation. The air carriers better smarten up and realize that this isin't just a thunderstorm that's thrown a monkey wrench into the works here.

I've heard that the Starwood chain (which has three hotels in New Orleans)
backed up their computer systems and sent the data off site so that they can tell who was checked into the hotel on the day that huricane struck, so they have their vendor data (to pay bills etc), and data on who had booked what the next few months so that an attempt can be made to move meetings and conventions to alternate sites.

Also, Southwest had decided not to sell any tickets to MSY until Jan.

From what I've seen on TV, they're going to need the airport terminal for more important purposes for some time.

Bob H
Old Sep 2, 2005, 8:36 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by BobH

From what I've seen on TV, they're going to need the airport terminal for more important purposes for some time.

Bob H
US joins others in Homeland Security directive in flying pax to Texas.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/02/na...02cnd-air.html
Old Sep 2, 2005, 9:43 am

Programs: DL DM, United 1K, Marriott Ambassador
Im not trying to be insensitive here but how can these airlines afford this. Honestly, if they are going to particpate in something like this then the least the Fed govt could do is forgive some of thier loans or maybe even interest on the loans they have given out.
Price is not the only problem but what about safety. This airport is under VFR rules only and communication there is probably spotty at best not to mention the fact that there is limited aviation fuel at the airport and at others around the country.
Where will the staff and planes come from to take part in this evacuation and how many people go through MSY on a normal day? Not to mention that only narrow body aircraft will be used. At 7 planes per hour for 12 hours with an average of 135 people per plane it would take more than 2.5 days to get everyone out of the city. There ar so many questions to think about. What do you all think?
Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:49 am

Programs: USAirways, SPG gold, Marriott Silver
I think this is a case of lets get the job done, and worry about the fine print later. I know goodwill doesn't pay for fuel, but what's happening in NO is intolerable. I have a mlitary background, I know how long it takes to "gear up", but this relief effort is a good 24-36 hours behind. They won't need so many billions to assist the displaced if they're dead. We got help to other countries faster than we made a presence in NO. The airline efforts won't go un-noted, i've got to believe that.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:31 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by jklevine
Im not trying to be insensitive here but how can these airlines afford this. Honestly, if they are going to particpate in something like this then the least the Fed govt could do is forgive some of thier loans or maybe even interest on the loans they have given out.
Price is not the only problem but what about safety. This airport is under VFR rules only and communication there is probably spotty at best not to mention the fact that there is limited aviation fuel at the airport and at others around the country.
Where will the staff and planes come from to take part in this evacuation and how many people go through MSY on a normal day? Not to mention that only narrow body aircraft will be used. At 7 planes per hour for 12 hours with an average of 135 people per plane it would take more than 2.5 days to get everyone out of the city. There ar so many questions to think about. What do you all think?
As to narrow body planes, I wonder if runway length is a factor -- I've heard they've only got one open down there.

Also, some people may be taken out by National Guard planes.

Bob H
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:34 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by jklevine
The feds, if they wanted/needed to play hardball, could very easily call up the CRAF aircraft, in which case the participating airlines would have no choice in the matter. As a matter of course, in order to get federal contracts to haul people/mail/stuff, the airlines with CRAF aircraft committed get preference. I'm sure US would rather donate a few narrowbodies to the cause than have a few widebodies called into service involuntarily.
Old Sep 3, 2005, 9:39 pm

US is now posting the following:

"Due to the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, US Airways will allow passengers with tickets issued on/before August 24, 2005 to or from New Orleans with scheduled travel dates from August 27 to October 31, 2005 to change their flight dates. US Airways will waive the standard change fee, advance reservation and/or ticketing requirements. Customers whose flights have canceled may elect to receive a refund in lieu of rescheduling."

My tix were bought on Aug 25 (Thursday) around 2 pm (Katrina was crossing Florida and attaining Hurricane status on that day so booking tix to MSY wasn't necessarily a risky thing to do at the time especially if you don't have a TV running CNN all the time at work).

Anyone know why US chose Aug 24 as the cutoff for allowing unrestricted re-booking? What then are the options for tix bought after that?

My MSY flights (Sept 13) are showing cancelled on USair.com - but not when viewed at virtuallythere.com - ?

Do I need to call US to get a refund, or just keep watching my credit card statement?
Old Sep 9, 2005, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Joe Airman
US is now posting the following:

"Due to the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, US Airways will allow passengers with tickets issued on/before August 24, 2005 to or from New Orleans with scheduled travel dates from August 27 to October 31, 2005 to change their flight dates. US Airways will waive the standard change fee, advance reservation and/or ticketing requirements. Customers whose flights have canceled may elect to receive a refund in lieu of rescheduling."
Talk's cheap.

As of today, I've spent HOURS trying to get satisfaction. Flight was scheduled for 9/17 for a conference. It was changed to Chicago. So, instead of cancelling (and using a reputable airline), we decided to just change the tickets (by the way, the Chicago flight was about $20 per ticket less).

US Air's response? Tough. Still have to pay the $100.00 change fee!
Old Sep 11, 2005, 7:06 pm

Earlier today (sunday) I called US and told them I wanted a refund for my flight (in 2 days) to MSY (booked Aug 25).

I think at first the agent was trying to suggest my only option was a re-booking, but I simply told him I wanted a refund back to the CC that paid for it. He put up no fuss and verified a few CC items and that was that.

I asked him if I would still have gotten a refund had I not called. He mentioned something pertaining to a Nov-8 deadline (for re-booking ?) and because of that they don't seem to be automatically doing refunds if they don't hear from you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.