Wiki Posts
Search

767 Envoy PHL-Dublin

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2005, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Originally Posted by gnaget
When I flew PHL-SNN they skimped so much that they didn't even provide Champagne on the flight. They only had that terrible junk that is restaurant only sparkling wine. I am sure that everyone on the flights in C were upgrading or using miles. I gues they think " the stupid plebs can't tell the difference".
As a bit of a wine guy (read: wino) I don't expect much from things like airlines... I hear BA used to have Kruge and while I only 1/2 believe it, I don't expect more than White Star (or worse) from US... but as long as they have Heniken I'm good...

p.s. I'm not as big a lush as this makes me sound
Old Sep 3, 2005, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
BA did have Krug in F. They now serve something like Perrier Jouet Belle Epoque, which is not as good. In J I've recently had Charles Heidseick Brut Reserve, but with the current catering problems Heidseick Monopole (lighter fluid IMHO) has made an unwelcome appearance.

SQ serve Dom in F.

On Concorde back in 2003 they were serving 1986 Pol Roger Cuvee Sir Winston Churchill. A good "session" wine IMHO
Old Sep 3, 2005, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
BA did have Krug in F. They now serve something like Perrier Jouet Belle Epoque, which is not as good. In J I've recently had Charles Heidseick Brut Reserve, but with the current catering problems Heidseick Monopole (lighter fluid IMHO) has made an unwelcome appearance.

SQ serve Dom in F.

On Concorde back in 2003 they were serving 1986 Pol Roger Cuvee Sir Winston Churchill. A good "session" wine IMHO
you are just taunting me, right?
I wonder if I took my own 85 Krug if the FAs would pour it.... hummm...

I'm actually quite impressed that BA and SQ are serving anything vintage. PJ Belle Epoque is decent (quite good on 'on' years). I was impressed with the 90 and 95 Heidseick reserve... now the Winston Churchill... thats a real wine! I also love their 90 blanc de blancs...
Then again, I just love any booze named after Churchill
Lady Astor - "Sir you are drunk"
Churchill - "and madam in the morning I'll be sober and you'll still be ugly"

With all drooling aside, what can one expect for booze on transatlantic envoy?
Old Sep 4, 2005, 9:57 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Originally Posted by SpaceBass
If a redeposit is involved I'd say it is a moot point.
I tried called several times a week for 3 weeks and when I eventually got the dates (oct 24th - nov 3rd) I was told "if you want to cross the pond this year, this is the only way its going to work"... which was fine with me.
My routing on the return is DUB-Copenhagen-Chicago-Richmond... oh well, free vacation and all
U should have requested a stopover in Copenhagen--a wonderful addition to your vacation!
Old Sep 4, 2005, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
SAS has a nice Henriot 95 for your return flight. They must have bought up most of the supply at a good price many years ago. I quite like it but others do not.

SAS also has a Sauternes for dessert, which is not common on aircraft.

I daresay that you return flight will be much more pleasant...... Oh, you will have the dirtiest toilets in the air on the way over while SAS has the nicest with large C class toilets with 2 windows. I posted a 50% off promotion for the internet if you check the SAS forum.

p.s. I realize why you have to go via ORD (due to the later departure compared to EWR/IAD with no early flights from DUB). The Scandinavian lounge (*G) is quite nice but because Ireland is non-Schengen then you have to through security once and passport control twice to get to the lounge so maybe not worth it. There is a small chance that you arrive at the non-Schengen A gates. Then you have to walk across the airport and the lounge is on your left before the C pier's passport control.

Last edited by gnaget; Sep 4, 2005 at 4:42 pm
Old Sep 9, 2005, 11:20 am

Programs: AA-CK; Hilton-D; Marriott
Originally Posted by SpaceBass
you are just taunting me, right?
I wonder if I took my own 85 Krug if the FAs would pour it.... hummm...

I'm actually quite impressed that BA and SQ are serving anything vintage. PJ Belle Epoque is decent (quite good on 'on' years). I was impressed with the 90 and 95 Heidseick reserve... now the Winston Churchill... thats a real wine! I also love their 90 blanc de blancs...
Then again, I just love any booze named after Churchill
Lady Astor - "Sir you are drunk"
Churchill - "and madam in the morning I'll be sober and you'll still be ugly"

With all drooling aside, what can one expect for booze on transatlantic envoy?

I do a lot of Envoy transatlantic and will often adjust my schedule to take A330s, but please don't let all the negative 767 talk spoil your fun. There are certainly a lot of higher grade upper class services out there, but this can still be very pleasant. The seats are tired, but most of them work and can be made more comfortable with a nextra pillow under your knees. There has never been a lack of champagne or wine or booze or cordials on any of my many flights. And the bathrooms aren't that bad. They typically have two or three wine selections of each color and will keep your glass full. Meals are varied and ok.... not always gourmet, but probably very pleasant considering that you will be on vacation and sitting next to a special someone. The IFE is fine, but it just isn't at your total control. There are several movies running at once and there is usually something worth watching, certainly enough to entertain you on the relatively short flight to Dublin. Grab a bottle of water and a cognac or amaretto as they clean up your dinner setting and then settle in for a movie and a rest. There's the snacking station up in the galley that you can visit any time after dinner and then breakfast about an hour before landing.

One advantage to the 767 is that there are only 4 rows and honestly most of them are not full. You can get very nice and frequent service under these circumstances. Some of those nicely appointed 747s are very comfortable, but you may wait a long time for someone to clear your meal or refill a glass.
Seats 2A and 2B are fine. I usually prefer the other side of the plane (2F or 3F) because there is less traffic during boarding, but your side is closer to the snack cart!

The Envoy lounge in PHL is new and nice. They have cold food selection and a full free bar. There is plenty of seating and wireless access through T-mobile.

It's been a while since I was on SAS but I used to frequent their business class a few years ago. At that time their wine was selected by Oswald Clark and there was even a video at the beginning of each flight with him describing each one. Rather impressive.

Have a great trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.