Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 New Security Lines to Open at LAX Terminal 1

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2005, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
3 New Security Lines to Open at LAX Terminal 1

They were doing a segment on the local news earlier today about the Memorial Day Weekend travel rush. They showed footage of the security line at LAX Terminal 1 - which is what they usually do when they want to make an impact, since T-1 seems to consistently have the longest lines. After mentioning that Terminal 1 occupies "Southwest and America West" (no mention of US - harumph), they said that 3 new security lines were planned to ease congestion at the security checkpoint. No mention of when.
Old May 26, 2005, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Were they talking about more xray machines, or just making more queues for people to line up in? Without more xray machines people are going to just wait longer in shorter lines.

What they need is an elite security line like a real terminal.
Old May 26, 2005, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
An elite line for US/*A preferreds, HP elites and even Southwest Companion Pass holders (100 segments per year or some such criterion, I believe) would greatly ease the congestion at the T1 checkpoint...for most of us, at least.
Old May 26, 2005, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Were they talking about more xray machines, or just making more queues for people to line up in? Without more xray machines people are going to just wait longer in shorter lines.

What they need is an elite security line like a real terminal.
You raise a good point. I don't recall the exact terminology they used, but I do remember almost falling off the treadmill with glee at what I interpreted would be three additional x-ray machines. I'll try to watch the local news again this evening to see if they repeat the segment.
Old May 26, 2005, 11:36 pm

Programs: US Gold, CO Silver,HH Gold,*wood Gold
This is good news--it is a complete crapshoot at T-1. I give it my vote for worst security line though I am sure others are just as bad (monday AM at Hartsfield?) The line does move at a decent pace-its just sooooo long. BTW the new procedure for "SSSSS" selected for extra security check which i get when I fly one way on LUV at T-1 is much longer including the brand new explosive sniffing chamber which is apparently only at a few APs across the country and the extra-THOROUGH (read: long) bag search and swab. Do yourself a favor and by a RT.
Old May 27, 2005, 9:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Wave1
Do yourself a favor and by a RT.
I've flown on a number of one-way tickets recently and I have only been singled out one time with the dreaded "SSSS." That time was a one-way on WN, purchased the night before departure. All the other times were on HP, where I'm a long-time Platinum member. (I almost never fly WN -- only when there is no other viable option.)

I wonder if the frequency of travel on a particular airline now has an impact on whether you get nailed for additional security when flying on a one-way ticket. It doesn't seem to be automatic any more.

As for more lanes at LAX T-1, thank god! ^ I agree that is the one airport in the country that concerns me most when I have to fly through it -- you just never know what you're going to find.

At one time I heard they were working on an airside transfer point between T2 & T1. Anyone know if that is still in the works?
Old May 27, 2005, 10:22 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
The times I've seen the T1 line stretching literally for blocks outside the terminal make me happy I haven't been flying US, HP, etc. out of LAX in the past. It sure would be nice if after the merger US & HP would move closer to, say, the UA gates, maybe to T6? The security lines there are 100% better from my experience. I really feel for the flier who has to wait through the WN cattle crowd infusion at T1.
Old May 27, 2005, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by exerda
The times I've seen the T1 line stretching literally for blocks outside the terminal make me happy I haven't been flying US, HP, etc. out of LAX in the past. It sure would be nice if after the merger US & HP would move closer to, say, the UA gates, maybe to T6? The security lines there are 100% better from my experience. I really feel for the flier who has to wait through the WN cattle crowd infusion at T1.
Unfortunatly, UA announced that they will be closing their UX remote terminal thus moving all UX to T8 and consolidating mainline in their T6 gates and T7.
Old May 27, 2005, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
An elite line for US/*A preferreds, HP elites and even Southwest Companion Pass holders...
No WN pax at all.
Old May 27, 2005, 1:43 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
No WN pax at all.
To play ball at a couple of airports where security checkpoints are shared... (I believe Portland, OR is a good example):

Southwest frequent flyers of any sort just have to flash their RapidRewards card to gain access to the lane. Southwest refused (as well they should, honestly) to have the shared checkpoint reconfigured for something that wouldn't benefit their passengers.
Old May 27, 2005, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Another segment on today's Channel 7 news at 11AM about the Memorial Weekend crowds: They were broadcasting from between T-1 & T-2 at LAX. (Gee...I wonder why this is the ONLY terminal from they ever seem to broadcast??) The line for security at T-1 was stretched back to T-2, as far as the eye could see, and it looked like it was moving at a snail's pace. They did make a generic statement that LAX hasn't been "updated" in 20 years, and that they planned to add more security checkpoints. No specifics on what airlines, terminals, etc.
Old May 27, 2005, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by SS255
They did make a generic statement that LAX hasn't been "updated" in 20 years,
why upgrade? horrible lines should fit in just dandy with the new mayor's official platform to "divert" large amounts of LAX traffic to ONT and (snicker snicker) PMD.
Old May 28, 2005, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I've flown on a number of one-way tickets recently and I have only been singled out one time with the dreaded "SSSS." That time was a one-way on WN, purchased the night before departure. All the other times were on HP, where I'm a long-time Platinum member. (I almost never fly WN -- only when there is no other viable option.)

I wonder if the frequency of travel on a particular airline now has an impact on whether you get nailed for additional security when flying on a one-way ticket. It doesn't seem to be automatic any more.
No one knows for sure, but my best guess is that having a frequent flyer number in the record reduces one's chances of being marked for haraSSSSment. Every time I fly any low-cost carrier one-way, I've been a selectee, while for the carriers on which I have elite status (US and AA) I've never been selected even on a one-way.

Could just be chance, but I doubt it.

When flying WN one-way, just buy a roundtrip and be sure that the return segment is a fully refundable fare. Once you've gotten through security on your outbound segment, call Southwest reservations, have them refund the return segment, and the funds will be credited back to your card in a few days.
Old May 28, 2005, 1:24 pm

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
I have been flying on one way tickets over a year, primarily on WN, occasionally on AA and UA, and never a selectee. No doubt, I've jinxed myself by commiting it to writing.

A couple of years ago, I did get randomly picked to have my luggage tested by the "sniffer" - that treated paper they run over the outside of your luggage. It came up positive and the luggage contents were closely examined. The conclusion was the sniifer picked up chemicals in the adhesive my wife had used to attach decorative "sprinkles" to a wrapped holiday present in my luggage. The TSA agent said he had to complete some paperwork, which included recording my ID from my passport... and I figured I would be on some list in the future, but there has been no apparent negative impact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.