FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 3 New Security Lines to Open at LAX Terminal 1
Old May 28, 2005, 12:02 pm
wahooflyer

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I've flown on a number of one-way tickets recently and I have only been singled out one time with the dreaded "SSSS." That time was a one-way on WN, purchased the night before departure. All the other times were on HP, where I'm a long-time Platinum member. (I almost never fly WN -- only when there is no other viable option.)

I wonder if the frequency of travel on a particular airline now has an impact on whether you get nailed for additional security when flying on a one-way ticket. It doesn't seem to be automatic any more.
No one knows for sure, but my best guess is that having a frequent flyer number in the record reduces one's chances of being marked for haraSSSSment. Every time I fly any low-cost carrier one-way, I've been a selectee, while for the carriers on which I have elite status (US and AA) I've never been selected even on a one-way.

Could just be chance, but I doubt it.

When flying WN one-way, just buy a roundtrip and be sure that the return segment is a fully refundable fare. Once you've gotten through security on your outbound segment, call Southwest reservations, have them refund the return segment, and the funds will be credited back to your card in a few days.