Wiki Posts
Search

An Offer We Wish US would Match..

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2005, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold
An Offer We Wish US would Match..

We talk alot about US generally being in "follow" rather than "lead" mode when it comes to promotions. Here is one that Independence Air is starting, that if matched would put in the final nail.

+ Independence Air offers free tickets for lost bags (May 3)
Low-fare carrier Independence Air will offer customers a free one-way flight if the airline loses their checked baggage. The carrier will offer a credit for travel in the amount of the one-way fare paid for the flight in which the luggage was misplaced.

http://www.tripso.com/archives/2005/...ence_ai_1.html

Whole new game happens with this. Just book through PHL, sit back and count your credits. We could call these "baggage runs".
Old May 9, 2005, 5:47 am

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
You might want to use those tix fast...
Old May 9, 2005, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by CoMooter
You might want to use those tix fast...
Why is that?
Old May 9, 2005, 1:05 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Probably cuz flyI is on Titanic Watch; it might sink under its own weight soon.

-------------
Tampering with the smoke detectors will result in a $2000 fine. If you wanted to pay $2000, you should have flown USAirways.
Old May 9, 2005, 1:20 pm

Programs: US lowlife
Amazing tagline. ^
Old May 9, 2005, 2:02 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by johnep1
Why is that?
Because Indy Air's seat mile costs are nearly twice that of even airlines like US Airways. Their load factor had been in the toilet, but is now up above 60%. In order to BREAK EVEN they would have to DOUBLE their average fare collected AND keep that higher load factor (driven up by their even further lowering of fares and offering things like $249 unlimited summer travel passes to college students). They presently have a margin of -113% (that is a negative sign, yes).

FlyI might as well give away thousands of free tickets. They won't be around for people to redeem them. They are dropping cities left and right, trimming frequencies, have already furloughed half of their pilots. They actually had an airplane physically repo'd.
Old May 9, 2005, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXPax

FlyI might as well give away thousands of free tickets. They won't be around for people to redeem them. They are dropping cities left and right, trimming frequencies, have already furloughed half of their pilots. They actually had an airplane physically repo'd.
US is getting close to being able to match that part of the deal, too.
Old May 9, 2005, 2:41 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by hscottm
US is actually in much better shape than FlyI.
US has a chance of survival.
Old May 9, 2005, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
FLYI lost more than it brough in in revenue in Q1--half of their cash on hand. They have something like a 125% break even load factor too. These guys are toast.

Originally Posted by hscottm
Old May 9, 2005, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
...They are dropping cities left and right...
JAXPax:

Just curious - what other cities has Indy dropped other than Norfolk? I don't hear about them in the news too much so I'm not familiar with their other changes.
Old May 9, 2005, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by jkm024
JAXPax:

Just curious - what other cities has Indy dropped other than Norfolk? I don't hear about them in the news too much so I'm not familiar with their other changes.
I believe Lansing was also dropped.
Frequency cuts were the big thing. They halved many routes, cut by a third most others. I guess something like 17 daily IAD-EWR flights to start was a bit excessive so they trimmed it to about 8. Same deal with JFK. Jacksonville here went from 7 to 4. I guess they realized nobody wants to fly IAD-JAX at 6am or the reverse at nearly 10pm?
Old May 9, 2005, 5:33 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
What Basically Did Indy Do Wrong

For months there has been all this talk about Indy's "bad" business model, etc. Does anyone know what their key mistakes or presumed mistakes were?

Also imho they seem like a much "nicer" entity than US, more consumer amenable, etc. I think think of US as the evil corporation* that introduced among other things "use it or lose it," and black Tuesday, plastic cups in first, etc. etc. etc.

It would almost seem better for consumers if Indy stays and grows. While I have not noticed many trip reports about Indy Air, all the people I know that have travled with them enjoyed the experience. I have just in fact booked with them using the 20% discount I found (see the Indy Air forum) just to try it out. Likely they won't be my main airline, but I would say good for a second back up. Also I will recommend them for people that don't care much about FF programs, etc. But are most people happy with them, or are there some bones of contention? One thing I don't like is apparently they have an off shore call center.

But if you read US's web site and FlyI's web site, I think undoubtedly you will come away thinking that FlyI "cares" more about its customers and there overall travel experience. E.g. look at things like company mission, strategy, etc.

*refers collectively to US management, not the front line employees.
Old May 9, 2005, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Indy's bad business plan is that they came into business with a full fleet and a schedule that would keep the planes in the air but with no customers. They also inherited antagonism from those who knew them for their poor service as the IAD UX operator. UA did a very good job of countering them without having to match their more outrageous fares, which kept them from acquiring customers. What they've shown is that costs don't matter when the planes fly empty.
Old May 9, 2005, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I have only flown on Independence once and my Mom has flown on them twice and has anouther flight booked with them for later this month. She loves Dulles (I have NO idea why!) and really loves there service. When I flew with them I was very impressed. They had a nice variety of snacks and drinks and handed out hot towels. This was on a flight from CAE-IAD (about 1 hour). The best part is we actually took off AND landed ontime. UX has NEVER done this from CAE-IAD in the year I flew with them. I decided to fly with Idependence because I had to make a last minute one way trip which I booked 3 hours prior to departure and sure enough got SSSSS'ed. The TSA's guys recognized me and said they were surprised I was flagged. If I didnt care about earning miles for international trips I would fly with Idependence alot more!!!
Old May 10, 2005, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

US is actually in much better shape than FlyI.
US has a chance of survival.
For those of you who missed the obvious, my previous post about US also matching FlyI's debacle was mostly a joke.

But in thinking more of it, laying off half of the staff, eliminating cities and frequency, and losing planes.. they're already matching it!

regardless, I didnt put the in before so I will now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.