Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PIT $39 fare ad... but $29 fares exist too?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2005, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
PIT $39 fare ad... but $29 fares exist too?

If you haven't been to the US site lately, you've missed seeing this PIT fare ad

Ad states that fares from PIT start at $39 OW, based on RT purchase.

Try doing a search by price on US and you'll see that there are $29 OW fares (based on RT travel), i.e. $58 RT fare, to both ORD and PHL from PIT.

As a consumer one would be pleased to see this... however, as one who has known these $29 fares have existed since SW announced service to MDW and PHL from PIT, this bothers me.

Now, let's go to the US Customer Commitment . Commitment #1 states "US Airways is committed to offering you the lowest fare available for which you are eligible."
Isn't this ad a direct violation of their commitment?

So, CCY, change the deceptive ad.
Old May 3, 2005, 9:55 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
When you go to buy the ticket, it provides you with the lower fare as an option anyway, so aren't they still holding up to offering the customer the lowest available fare?
Old May 4, 2005, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
As long as the $29 option is offered when you go to purchase, I think they are fulfilling their promise.

It does seem up to par for the marketing department, however, to understate the offer.

And the way it's worded, "starting from $39", they can just list every non-stop city from PIT, as long as at least one of them has a $39 fare. It sure implies a $39 fare to San Diego - which I doubt is available? Both understating the best fares and misleading on the higher fairs - quite an accomplishment.
Old May 4, 2005, 10:57 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by CPRich
And the way it's worded, "starting from $39", they can just list every non-stop city from PIT, as long as at least one of them has a $39 fare. It sure implies a $39 fare to San Diego - which I doubt is available? Both understating the best fares and misleading on the higher fairs - quite an accomplishment.
And to think--the remaining underlings in the marketing department pulled off such a feat after the departure of the Great Leader. Amazing. The hope lives on.
Old May 11, 2005, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Someone at marketing must be reading FT or USAv... there's a new ad on the US home page touting "Non-stop flights from PIT starting at $29 one way".

About time CCY gets it right.

New ad

Last edited by jimcfsus; May 11, 2005 at 8:07 am Reason: Add link
Old May 11, 2005, 9:10 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
They really should just change the ad to fares starting at $1 each way, since they did offer those fares to LEB and ART for $1 each way from PIT, so it wouldn't be a lie.

I flew my first Southwest flight last week, and its pretty much what I expected. Giving up first class seats and assigned seats does suck. But having no change fees tips the scales for Southwest on short hops, especially to Philly and Chicago (I like Chicago, and I expect that if fares stay at this rate I'll probably day trip out there every couple of months).

Of course, I will always remember "Tampering with the smoke detector will result in a $2000 fine. If you wanted to pay $2000, you should have flown USAirways." I'm sure the Southwest humor gets old, but that's still funny four days afterwards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.