Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHL Runway 17-35 Extension Approved by FAA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2005, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Thumbs up PHL Runway 17-35 Extension Approved by FAA

One of the local Philadelphia news outlets I occasionally monitor noted that the FAA has approved the PHL runway 17-35 extension sometime in the past few weeks:

http://www.phlrunway17-35eis.com/default.asp

Highlights:
  • Extension from 5460 to 6500 feet
  • PA 291 will need to be relocated to Bartram/Island Ave on the NW side of I-95
  • $36 million project
  • 173 flights per day could move off of runway 9-27 to 17-35
  • Taxiways will need reconfiguration
  • It appears that the study assumes it can be complete by 2007

Seems to be good news, though I still worry about the impact of ship traffic in the Delaware River, as wheels can go up or down closer to the riverfront after project completion.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 7:57 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
That's great news!
Old Apr 30, 2005, 8:17 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
That is good news, but the runway still intersects 27R, and when complete it will likely intersect the approach path of 27L. So, there are still some inherent limitations since traffic often lands on 27R when winds are coming from the West (which is more often than not).

What aircraft does a 6500' runway enable for take-off AND landing ops? I guess most RJ's are well within limits, and I also imagine most older variant 737s and maybe even 319's can land on it, although I'm not so sure they can take off fully loaded.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 8:55 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by PHL
That is good news, but the runway still intersects 27R, and when complete it will likely intersect the approach path of 27L. So, there are still some inherent limitations since traffic often lands on 27R when winds are coming from the West (which is more often than not).

What aircraft does a 6500' runway enable for take-off AND landing ops? I guess most RJ's are well within limits, and I also imagine most older variant 737s and maybe even 319's can land on it, although I'm not so sure they can take off fully loaded.
WN's 738's use 35 now.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:10 am

The need for this project assumes that PHL remains a hub for some carrier. Lets hope that is correct.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:11 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by bofie
The need for this project assumes that PHL remains a hub for some carrier. Lets hope that is correct.
You are correct. IMHO WN plans on being in PHL for a long time and is looking to expand.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 11:47 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by PHL

DCA's Runway 1/19 is 6869 feet long, which is adequate for 757 and 321 operations. While it is not a solution to the PHL mess, it should be a step in the right direction.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 8:58 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Yes but are they fully loaded when they use that runway at DCA? I don't know that a 757 could get full range with that length for take off, but maybe....
Old May 1, 2005, 11:35 am

Programs: US1
PHL,

When US Airways had 757 Service out of DCA I had been on a full loaded 757 and it did take off.
Old May 1, 2005, 1:11 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by PHL
Yes but are they fully loaded when they use that runway at DCA? I don't know that a 757 could get full range with that length for take off, but maybe....
TWA used to run 757s DCA-LAX. Loaded for bear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.