Wiki Posts
Search

Is it worth it to Complain?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2005, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Is it worth it to Complain?

Hey,
Just back from my PHL-LAX and back, and on my flight home.. the A321 I was in Seat 18F and:

a) my tray table was broken, I released it and the whole left side fell and dangled. The F/A said to use my Knee to hold it up because there was no place else to put me.

b) My IFE outlets for headphones were not working, I got 1 port to work by blowing into it.. so I had 1 ear with sound however the other never worked.

Is it worth it? If so, where/how should I?
Old Apr 25, 2005, 8:26 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Write a letter to consumer affairs. With any luck you'll see it printed in "Your Fault" and be enlightened as to how the incident was, in fact, your fault.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by TomBascom
Write a letter to consumer affairs. With any luck you'll see it printed in "Your Fault" and be enlightened as to how the incident was, in fact, your fault.
Very true, complaining to Consumer Affairs these days is like hitting yourself against a wall. It seems that they are only replying to positive comments and ignoring the bad ones. Way to go US Airways, we can't wait to see you become part of America West, as this latter airline seems to have much more respect for its customers.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
It's always worth it to complain. Whether they'll listen is anybody's guess.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by BobbyL262
Hey,

a) my tray table was broken, I released it and the whole left side fell and dangled. The F/A said to use my Knee to hold it up because there was no place else to put me.
Broken equipment like that has some potentially serious safety concerns. Because the traytable was broken and dangling you should have been reseated or offloaded as soon as possible. I'd write a letter and complain or a letter to the FAA.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 4:49 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Issues such as these may or may not ever get resolved. One way to make sure they don't is to never address them. Please write a letter, please.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 4:54 am

Programs: Formerly: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, FT Addicts Anonymous; Currently: Grounded
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
It's always worth it to complain. Whether they'll listen is anybody's guess.
I agree, it's worth a try.

If enough people complain, surely someone will eventually think to do something (referring to complaining in general).
Old Apr 26, 2005, 5:37 am

The tray table is a safety issue if it would not stay secured. If it was just lopsided when you folded it down, then it is a major pain in the rear end but not a safety problem.
Did you ask for a refund on your headsets? They should have at least given you that. If you were using your own personal pair without an adapter, then you would only receive the sound on one side as you describe.
Sorry it made your flight so miserable.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Does anyone have an Address for Consumer Affairs?
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:55 am

As one who use to regularly complain to Consumer Affairs, I wouldn't bother any more. The airline is in a distressed state and is doing what it can just to stay afloat. They are very desperate, and unless you have a significant incident, I'd cut them some slack so that resources can better be devoted towards major issues (damaged/lost bags, staffing, etc.)
Old Apr 26, 2005, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by TTT103
As one who use to regularly complain to Consumer Affairs, I wouldn't bother any more. The airline is in a distressed state and is doing what it can just to stay afloat. They are very desperate, and unless you have a significant incident, I'd cut them some slack so that resources can better be devoted towards major issues (damaged/lost bags, staffing, etc.)
I disagree. Acting like there aren't other problems isn't doing anyone any favors. They can make decisions about what is and isn't worth fixing. Remember, they're getting paid here. This isn't a daycare.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103
I disagree as well. A broken tray table is more than a monor problem. If there was an incident tha required a quick departure from the seat and the tray table prevented that from happening that would be serious. If tou don't want to report it to US fine do it to FAA or whoever the govenmnet entity is that handles such compalinst just use google to find the address.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 5:01 pm

BobbyL262,
Was the tray table broken when you boarded? Could it not be secured for takeoff? If so, then the problem should have been handled at the gate. It's a quick maintenance fix once they know it's broken. If it was just lopsided in flight then that is a whole different story. I know it is a pain, but it doesn't present any danger at all to you or anyone else in the row. I'm sure the crew reported it at the next downline station and it was fixed. If it broke in flight and couldn't be secured, then the crew has means to secure it so it will stay up for landing as well.
Did you at least get a refund on your headsets? That would have been the practical thing to do if they knew you were unhappy with them, and 99% of the f/a's I know would have given you your money back with no questions asked.
Again, I'm sorry you had such a negative experience, but I'm just trying to find out some specifics because reporting things to the FAA is a little extreme in my opinion if your safety was never really jeapordized. I wouldn't hesitate to write Consumer Affairs about the incident at all, they need to know when people are unhappy. Please post again if you can't find the address, I'd be happy to put it on here for you.
Take care.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GalleyWench
BobbyL262,
Was the tray table broken when you boarded? Could it not be secured for takeoff?

Did you at least get a refund on your headsets? That would have been the practical thing to do if they knew you were unhappy with them, and 99% of the f/a's I know would have given you your money back with no questions asked.
No I wouldnt go to the FAA, it could be secured for takeoff, but for landing it couldn't. It wouldnt fold up. The FA jiggled with it for a bit and locked it.. once we tocuhed down, it shook and become loose but never fell.

I didn't get my money back, the FA said that I did utilize them being I did get sound in 1 ear and I was able to watch the movie.

Figures.

I found the place on USAirways.com to complain to Consumer Affairs.. any better way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.