Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A330 Row 1 Advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by shuttle_boy
Currently LGW-CLT 3/14 is sold out in Business. I am on the waitlist but it doesnt look good unless some inventory materilaizes. Made it OB on PHL-LGW on 3/10
What is OB?
Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Coach it seems in in our future

Originally Posted by shuttle_boy
Currently LGW-CLT 3/14 is sold out in Business. I am on the waitlist but it doesnt look good unless some inventory materilaizes. Made it OB on PHL-LGW on 3/10
I too will be upfront going over to London.

I just called to check the LGW-PHL flight for better chances - not that I want to return via PHL - and the agent informed me that there is only 1 Envoy seat for sale on that flight.

So the LGW-CLT Envoy cabin is SOLD OUT, so is the coach cabin. In fact the agent told me its OVERSOLD. Oh well, gonna be a long ride but at least I'm near the front, in row 14. At least I won't be looking for a nice seat for sleeping on the way back.

We can keep our fingers crossed though....
Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

OB = Outbound

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
What is OB?
I believe Shuttle_Boy means his Outbound flight. At least that's what I mean when I use OB on FT. Hope that helps and is accurate.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I'm not hopeful for tomorrow. At least I'm cleared on the way home since it will make it faster to get through security in LGW.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:51 pm

So, for international upgrade waitlisting, do I check-in online or wait until I get to the airport? I called res and they said "not to touch it" and that checking-in online might cause issues (unlike with domestic itineraries). Any thoughts?
Old Mar 9, 2005, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
So, for international upgrade waitlisting, do I check-in online or wait until I get to the airport? I called res and they said "not to touch it" and that checking-in online might cause issues (unlike with domestic itineraries). Any thoughts?
I was told just the opposite. I am not sure.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 8:20 pm

Well availability just went from over 9 down to 5, in the last 60 minutes. I'm not hopeful.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 8:57 am

Programs: Marriott Plat., DL/AA/BA
Originally Posted by US1@ORF
I believe Shuttle_Boy means his Outbound flight. At least that's what I mean when I use OB on FT. Hope that helps and is accurate.
Absolutely correct.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Smile Row 1 Seat Awesome

I flew to London last night on US 98 seated in 1G. I have to say, I am in love with that seat. I can also say I do not understand where there are no air vents in the former First Class Cabin. As many others have said it does get quite warm there and remains so throughout the flight. I don't know why my seat mate bothers with a blanket. I was wishing I could remove my clothes. I know I would have slept better though my neighbors probably would have not...LOL.

The service in Envoy reminds me of what Domestic F use to be on Transcons excepting that Domestic F never served from Silver Trays. Aside from that it was on par with a domestic first class transcon experience. Meal entree, courses and overall service. The FA's working Row 1 and the Front Envoy cabin would nice enough but did not go out of their way to make pax feel welcome. Service was indifferent at best.

My entree was tasty. I had the Peacan Crusted Maple Butter Chicken with Brussel Spourts, both were quite tasty. The Choco cake for desert was served on the same small plate with three cheese slices and two crackers. Such a poor show in my opinion.

I'll file a more complete TR when I return next week.

Cheers from London,
US1@ORF
Old Mar 12, 2005, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
US1@ORF,

I totally agree with your assessment of Envoy service being akin to domestic first class service of other airlines. 3 course meal including an awful last course but a tasty entree of insufficient quantity.

FAs were not the least bit interested in making pax feel welcome.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:18 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

How/when are Row 1 seats made available for general assignment? Only when the flight is full? I am traveling to CDG on Monday night on an Envoy award and I have to no status. I'm in 2G now but 1A continues to be available. If I check in online Sunday night and 1A is still available, can I manually change to an open seat in Row 1? If no, how about if I check in early on Monday morning at my origination airport? Would the ticket agent move me or are there rules about how Row 1 seats are assigned?

Also, does it really get warm on the overnight flights? Thanks to all of the Row 1 experts for your counsel and guidance.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Dayone,

Whether you can get Row 1 or not, I would work on getting OUT of Row 2. There is considerably less legroom there than the other Envoy rows on the A330. Take row 3-7, if you can't get Row 1.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
I'd argue that row 6 should also be avoided if legroom is a big concern, for the same reasons as 2. If unable to get into 1, rows 3 and 4 are my favorites.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:46 pm

Programs: US1, BA Silver
Originally Posted by dayone
Also, does it really get warm on the overnight flights? Thanks to all of the Row 1 experts for your counsel and guidance.
Yes it does get hot and as others have said, row 1 is considerably hotter than the rest of the cabin. You can see the control panel above the FAs jump seats from 1C, which displays cabin temp throughout the flight in at least 3 sections (front/mid/rear). IMSC, it starts off pleasant enough at 72 or so but gets up to 84/86 in the front area in the middle of the flight when you wake up sweating buckets. The mid and rear sections stay in the 70s.
Dress appropriately and don't forget the eye shades either if you want to sleep before the service ends. US hasn't quite got into the BA way of doing things on o/n flights (lights out pretty much as soon as you hit 10k).
Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:55 pm

Programs: US1, BA Silver
Originally Posted by dayone
How/when are Row 1 seats made available for general assignment? Only when the flight is full? I am traveling to CDG on Monday night on an Envoy award and I have to no status. I'm in 2G now but 1A continues to be available. If I check in online Sunday night and 1A is still available, can I manually change to an open seat in Row 1? If no, how about if I check in early on Monday morning at my origination airport? Would the ticket agent move me or are there rules about how Row 1 seats are assigned?
I've been told by the CP Desk that row 1 is unassignable to anyone except CPs (even full fare) prior to the GAs starting to do their thing 60-90 mins prior to departure. Seems true IME. The GA also seem to move GPs up automatically if there's room at this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.