FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-2005-america-west-merger-505/)
-   -   A330 Row 1 Advice (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-2005-america-west-merger/406287-a330-row-1-advice.html)

US1@ORF Mar 2, 2005 2:46 pm

A330 Row 1 Advice

I'm a CP traveling to LGW end of next week. I am on the list for UG to Envoy using the DMTAU4 (or some such code) upgrade certs provided to me last year in the CP packet. I'm told there are plenty of seats for sale in Envoy on my particular flights. When I inquired about requesting Row 1 the agent said she has no way of noting that in the record which I find hard to believe. For domestic upgrades that are waitlisted I can specify row/window/aisle and then we they process UG's I usually receive my preference.

I've flow Envoy several times but never in Row 1. As a CP I think I am allowed to be seated there along with any C paying pax who request it. I realize it may be unavailable if those who purchased Envoy tickets and already selected row one but I'm hoping that since I'm traveling alone there will be one seat left for me when the 7-day window pops up.

Anyone been in this same situation? How'd you manage to get Row 1, if you were able to?

USFlyerUS Mar 2, 2005 2:57 pm

Since we're on the same flights ... :-)

Seriously, you need to wait for the upgrade to clear and then call to request row 1. However, as I recall from last year when I made the March run to Europe, I was automatically assigned row 1 when the upgrade cleared. I don't expect our upgrades to clear until about 3 days out, given all upgrade inventory is already gone. Someone in Inventory will need to release additional seats before our upgrades will clear.

Middleseat8 Mar 2, 2005 2:57 pm

I was able to confirm Row 1, at the 3 day window when I cleared for the return and the the Club for the departure. I have seen some stations be very strict on giving Row 1 to non Cp's or C -fare pax.

Good luck!

planeluvr Mar 2, 2005 2:58 pm

On 7 day upgrades for International trips, I call the CP number and ask to be transferred to the International desk. I then ask if my upgrade has cleared and if it has, I request Row 1 for outbound and Row 3 for the return. If my upgrade does not clear, I call back at the 3 day mark and if the upgrade has not cleared, they will usually call Inventory and see if they can release upgrades.

Some people have stated that the International res. will not call on the 3 day mark to release seats, I have not experienced that yet. So your mileage may vary.

fly747first Mar 2, 2005 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by US1@ORF
I'm a CP traveling to LGW end of next week. I am on the list for UG to Envoy using the DMTAU4 (or some such code) upgrade certs provided to me last year in the CP packet. I'm told there are plenty of seats for sale in Envoy on my particular flights. When I inquired about requesting Row 1 the agent said she has no way of noting that in the record which I find hard to believe. For domestic upgrades that are waitlisted I can specify row/window/aisle and then we they process UG's I usually receive my preference.

I've flow Envoy several times but never in Row 1. As a CP I think I am allowed to be seated there along with any C paying pax who request it. I realize it may be unavailable if those who purchased Envoy tickets and already selected row one but I'm hoping that since I'm traveling alone there will be one seat left for me when the 7-day window pops up.

Anyone been in this same situation? How'd you manage to get Row 1, if you were able to?

Sorry to disappoint you, but by common sense you should know that if your upgrade has not been cleared to Envoy Class, then the agents have no way of requesting row 1 for you. Why would any airline request a Business Class seat for a passenger who is still in Economy and whose upgrade has not cleared? I'm sure there are enough Chairman's Preferred members and full-fare pax confirmed in Envoy Class who deserve those seats more than you.

You might get lucky and be able to get a hold of a seat in row 1. On many flights from Europe to the US, I have been able to secure a seat in row 1 as well as having the seat next to me blocked for the entire flight.

As many others have said, you need to wait until your upgrade clears.

Spiff Mar 2, 2005 3:30 pm

I'm 0-2 in getting row 1 and pretty annoyed by both of my experiences.

I did NOT clear at the 7 day mark and kept calling. By the time I cleared, row 1 was gone. :mad:

USFlyerUS Mar 2, 2005 4:23 pm

I believe US1@ORF is Chairman's Preferred, as am I.

shuttle_boy Mar 2, 2005 6:14 pm

You guys flying Thursday or Friday? I leave on Thursday for LGW.

US1@ORF Mar 2, 2005 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by shuttle_boy
You guys flying Thursday or Friday? I leave on Thursday for LGW.

Shuttle_boy - I'm flying Friday.

US1@ORF Mar 2, 2005 6:26 pm

You are correct

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I believe US1@ORF is Chairman's Preferred, as am I.

USFlyerUS - You are correct my friend.

US1@ORF Mar 2, 2005 6:35 pm

A misunderstanding I'm sure....

Originally Posted by fly747first
Sorry to disappoint you, but by common sense you should know that if your upgrade has not been cleared to Envoy Class, then the agents have no way of requesting row 1 for you. Why would any airline request a Business Class seat for a passenger who is still in Economy and whose upgrade has not cleared? I'm sure there are enough Chairman's Preferred members and full-fare pax confirmed in Envoy Class who deserve those seats more than you.

You might get lucky and be able to get a hold of a seat in row 1. On many flights from Europe to the US, I have been able to secure a seat in row 1 as well as having the seat next to me blocked for the entire flight.

As many others have said, you need to wait until your upgrade clears.

Fly747first thank you for offering your insight. I should point out that what I was intending to inquire was how other CP's have found success with scoring a Row 1 seat in my situation. Others have greatfully shared their experience and offered the likely steps I should take in order to find myself a seat in the front row on the journey.

With regard to your editorial on airline procedures for coach pax, trust me I in no way would have thought otherwise. The common sense comment is a bit much I think. In the domestic upgrade world (which is where I spend the bulk of my time with the airline) the CP Desk puts me in a queue waiting until the 7-day window to clear a seat up front, if avail. At the time of my request to be put in the queue they inquire as to my seating pref in that cabin.

I made the assumption that would also work for International Upgrades. I don't think a lack of comon sense as anything to do with it. I expected the same procedure not a differentiation based on dom/intl destination. Its perfectly fine if that is how US has set up their procedures. Now I have a full understanding.

DC-USCP-UAPE Mar 2, 2005 9:31 pm

Row 1

My experience... a quick recap:

On a 330, US used to have 3 classes with Row 1 being FC. The seats are a bit better (not that much though).

So, to get Row 1 on a 330, you need to either (1) pay for Envoy; (2) be CP; (3) be lucky enough to be put there due to overbooking or a nice gate agent.

Generally, (2) requires a change of seat assignments at the gate..

EnvoyBoy Mar 2, 2005 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by DC-USCP-UAPE
So, to get Row 1 on a 330, you need to either (1) pay for Envoy; (2) be CP; (3) be lucky enough to be put there due to overbooking or a nice gate agent.

Generally, (2) requires a change of seat assignments at the gate..

Actually, if you're a CP and get into Envoy any time in advance (cert, miles or $), then you can be assigned Row 1. You need not wait until the gate unless Row 1 was already full.

fly747first Mar 2, 2005 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by US1@ORF
Fly747first thank you for offering your insight. I should point out that what I was intending to inquire was how other CP's have found success with scoring a Row 1 seat in my situation. Others have greatfully shared their experience and offered the likely steps I should take in order to find myself a seat in the front row on the journey.

With regard to your editorial on airline procedures for coach pax, trust me I in no way would have thought otherwise. The common sense comment is a bit much I think. In the domestic upgrade world (which is where I spend the bulk of my time with the airline) the CP Desk puts me in a queue waiting until the 7-day window to clear a seat up front, if avail. At the time of my request to be put in the queue they inquire as to my seating pref in that cabin.

I made the assumption that would also work for International Upgrades. I don't think a lack of comon sense as anything to do with it. I expected the same procedure not a differentiation based on dom/intl destination. Its perfectly fine if that is how US has set up their procedures. Now I have a full understanding.

Well, don't lose hope, change of seat assignments happen all the time. My advice: as soon as your upgrade clears, call the CP desk and ask them for a seat in row 1. If this is your first time on the A330, you should know that row 1 is excellent because of the fully-flat seats and 94'' seat pitch, but there are no individual air control units like in the rest of the airplane.

I think what the agents meant by not being able to honor your request of being seated in row 1 is that they can not assign you an Envoy Class seat until your upgrade clears. On your way back from Europe, having a seat in row 1 is not always that great since it gets pretty hot during the day in the forward cabin. It's up to you.

deelmakur Mar 3, 2005 4:11 am

I continue to wonder why people want those seats so badly, other than to score a limited commodity. I flew it when they actually had the 3 classes, and it was sort of a disconnect. Recline is modestly better, but the area is small, and, by my reckoning, the fuselage is a little narrower there. For all the talk, the A330 Envoy seat, in general, is narrow, and can be uncomfortable (as compared to, say, a Continental 777 BF chair), especially when it is broken, as many are (footrests, certain adjustments, etc.).