Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FC line at PHL checkin disappears--what gives?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2004, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

FC line at PHL checkin disappears--what gives?

I know the following rant is not very significant in light of the people who have been stranded during the holidays, however, it is irksome nonetheless so here goes...My husband and I flew PHL/PVD this morning and witnessed the Philadelphia chaos first hand. Lines out the door, masses of people trying to check in, etc.... We were confirmed in FC (both of us are CP) and had pre-printed BPs. We were planning to carry on only but decided to check a bag of gifts at the last minute to avoid hassles at security. Arriving 90 minutes before our flight, we got into what we thought was the FC check-in line. There were 5-10 people standing in this line, with 3 agents behind counters under electronic signs that said "First class/dividend preferred check-in." Another 5 or so people got in line after us. After 5-10 minutes an agent called out "there is no first class check in, and this is not a line. You need to go to the end of that line (out the door)." We pointed out that it said FC check-in but she kept saying "there is no first class check in and there hasn't been for 5 days."

There was no way we'd make our flight waiting in the out-the-door line and frankly as two CPs this really pissed us off, having arrived the requisite 90 minutes in advance. We tried waiting for a kiosk (of which most were not functioning and had hand-written "out of order" signs taped over them) but as the 30-minute mark approached we couldn't wait any longer. So we grabbed what gifts we could and stuffed them into the carry-on and ran the other bag back out to the car. Of course the flight was then an hour delayed but that's another story.

I realize we're lucky we made it to our destination at all. My 90-year-old aunt is still waiting for her luggage from a Wed. US flight to PHL. However, the only reason we stick with US is the CP first class perks. Beside that, it is really pathetic and in-excusable that anyone flying in any class of service should wait 10 minutes in the wrong line. But my biggest question is what happened to FC check-in? Has anyone else encountered this in PHL this week?

Sorry for the long ranting post.....

KIM
Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by kimharp
I know the following rant is not very significant in light of the people who have been stranded during the holidays, however, it is irksome nonetheless so here goes...My husband and I flew PHL/PVD this morning and witnessed the Philadelphia chaos first hand. Lines out the door, masses of people trying to check in, etc.... We were confirmed in FC (both of us are CP) and had pre-printed BPs. We were planning to carry on only but decided to check a bag of gifts at the last minute to avoid hassles at security. Arriving 90 minutes before our flight, we got into what we thought was the FC check-in line. There were 5-10 people standing in this line, with 3 agents behind counters under electronic signs that said "First class/dividend preferred check-in." Another 5 or so people got in line after us. After 5-10 minutes an agent called out "there is no first class check in, and this is not a line. You need to go to the end of that line (out the door)." We pointed out that it said FC check-in but she kept saying "there is no first class check in and there hasn't been for 5 days."

There was no way we'd make our flight waiting in the out-the-door line and frankly as two CPs this really pissed us off, having arrived the requisite 90 minutes in advance. We tried waiting for a kiosk (of which most were not functioning and had hand-written "out of order" signs taped over them) but as the 30-minute mark approached we couldn't wait any longer. So we grabbed what gifts we could and stuffed them into the carry-on and ran the other bag back out to the car. Of course the flight was then an hour delayed but that's another story.

I realize we're lucky we made it to our destination at all. My 90-year-old aunt is still waiting for her luggage from a Wed. US flight to PHL. However, the only reason we stick with US is the CP first class perks. Beside that, it is really pathetic and in-excusable that anyone flying in any class of service should wait 10 minutes in the wrong line. But my biggest question is what happened to FC check-in? Has anyone else encountered this in PHL this week?

Sorry for the long ranting post.....

KIM
That is pathedic and brings me a little closer to having to through in the towel. The risk of staying with US is bad from an FF stand-point. The product is becoming so bad that it makes travel in general risky. Curious as to others who have encountered the same thing and what if any complaints to consumer affairs have resulted in?
Old Dec 27, 2004, 9:59 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
When I was there on Christmas Eve, the entire B/C area had only 4-5 agents and lines out the door. Pretty much all of the kiosks were tagged as "out of order". I did however, run into a bag handler trying to help people figure out what to do with their luggage. Kudos to him for being honest enough to tell me to chance a roll aboard and two boxes of gifts - if my flight went at all. Something about if the bag is gate checked, it'll at least make it on the plane.

Does anyone know if this is a permanent change? Seems like they're just trying to avoid a crush of people on the FC/Prefered linesand the ensuing problems from people who technically shouldn't use it, but have spent multiple hours in line.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:16 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
That's actually a little known, albeit sneaky, trick and not one I would normally condone, but in your situation, it was a probably a good idea.

Take all your bags to the gate. When the agent says they're too big, or you have too many, hand them over and they'll be personally stowed in the plane's cargo hold. At least you now know that they are on your flight and you didn't have to endure the 5 hour line.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:23 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PHL
That's actually a little known, albeit sneaky, trick and not one I would normally condone, but in your situation, it was a probably a good idea.
... I figured it was a better alternative than packing the two boxes in a trash bag ala WN
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:31 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
It is pretty ridiculous. The last time I checked in at PHL needing an agent, it was a Saturday morning in the first week of November, there were two agents and a line of 15-20 people! I can only imagine what it must be like during peak travel times.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:51 am

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles
Cool Geesh

Sorry to hear about the mess... luckily I've been away from the airports the last week or so, but from what I hear and see on the news it looks like a total mess!

Not to be blunt or anything, but at this point with US airways I don't think it really matters to much if you are flying 1st, you are CP or whatever... don't really expect too many perks. I fly US often and would love to see them stick around, but I have to be perfectly honest when looking at the total chaos at US the last few days in saying that this may be the final nail in the couffin for this company that is on the brink of liquidiation.

With the huge number of travelers, the mysteriously large number of employees not showing up to work, ect. the company is probably just focusing on at least getting some planes off the ground... making First Class passengers or CPs ect. feel all warm and fuzzy is probably not exactly near the top of the priority list anymore.

Sorry, not trying to sound pessimistic or anything but I think anyone that takes a serious look at the situation would have to agree.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by datadigit
Sorry to hear about the mess... luckily I've been away from the airports the last week or so, but from what I hear and see on the news it looks like a total mess!

Not to be blunt or anything, but at this point with US airways I don't think it really matters to much if you are flying 1st, you are CP or whatever... don't really expect too many perks. I fly US often and would love to see them stick around, but I have to be perfectly honest when looking at the total chaos at US the last few days in saying that this may be the final nail in the couffin for this company that is on the brink of liquidiation.

With the huge number of travelers, the mysteriously large number of employees not showing up to work, ect. the company is probably just focusing on at least getting some planes off the ground... making First Class passengers or CPs ect. feel all warm and fuzzy is probably not exactly near the top of the priority list anymore.

Sorry, not trying to sound pessimistic or anything but I think anyone that takes a serious look at the situation would have to agree.
They have to. It's the center of their business. They can get the conessions they need. They have gotten most of them but if they can't fill planes because they pissed preferred's off to another carrier - then they will still fair. Preferred check-in is not an option. Without it on a continual basis - I would bail on US and switch to another carrier.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by datadigit
Not to be blunt or anything, but at this point with US airways I don't think it really matters to much if you are flying 1st, you are CP or whatever... don't really expect too many perks. k:
Yeah, I guess you are right. I made my post before seeing in the press the extent of the huge mess they are dealing with, and I guess I'll just be glad if they don't go under and my miles disappear. But I do still feel like over the long run (assuming there is a long run, which I do understand is the point of your reply!!!) if I don't have a good reason to fly US (first class perks) then I might as well fly the cheapest route on any carrier. I know I'm preaching to the converted, and yeah, I am stilling rooting for US. I hope things improve, and I really hope someone in PHL figures out how to work the electronic signs over the ticket counters.....at the very least they need to turn off the FC sign if there truly is no FC.

KIM
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:45 am

Philly is my home airport. I checked in for a flight at US a good two hours before flight time on a Saturday morning last June. There were easily 100 people in front of me and only 1 ticket agent behind the counter. The line barely moved. Many, many folks missed their flights. Missed connections, missed cruises…… We did not because we were lucky enough to find a kiosk that worked. Luckily, the security line was pretty empty and we could rush to our gate quickly. But we barely made the flight and we might as well have sat in the lavatory; we were practically in it anyway.

I was outraged enough to write a letter of complaint when I returned home. I never heard back from anyone, which was no surprise. I pretty much made up my mind then not to fly US unless I absolutely had to. Unfortunately, living in Philly means flying US because of the monopoly they have here. I am glad that SW is here. I was hoping they would help US to keep on their toes, but it has had the opposite effect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.