Community
Wiki Posts
Search

flying from Georgetown, Guyana to US on miles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2004, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Question flying from Georgetown, Guyana to US on miles?

Hi,

I have a friend who is doing missionary work in Guyana. I would like to fly him home using my FF miles as a gift. Is it true that USAirways has a partner out of Georgetown, Guyana that can use FF miles?

Please help.

Thanks
Old Dec 17, 2004, 8:58 am

doesn't appear possible...

According to this link, US has limited partner services to South America.

Your friend might want to explore cheap flights rom SJU or AUA to Guyana and from those airports on to a US mileage ticket. If he can get overland to Panama City, US has announced service will be starting there, soon and they already serve Costa Rica. That's probably quite a drive, though.

Someone else here might have a more creative option...

http://www.usairways.com/travel/maps...th_america.htm
Old Dec 17, 2004, 1:24 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Caribbean Star airlines flies out of GEO. You'd have to connect via a destination served by US. Good luck getting seats. Never tried using the GoCaribbean network.

Originally Posted by klakhav
Hi,

I have a friend who is doing missionary work in Guyana. I would like to fly him home using my FF miles as a gift. Is it true that USAirways has a partner out of Georgetown, Guyana that can use FF miles?

Please help.

Thanks
Old Dec 17, 2004, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
http://www.usairways.com/dividendmil...ocaribbean.htm shows "Georgetown" as a valid award destination, but doesn't specify whether Georgetown, Guyana (GEO) or Georgetown, Bahamas (GGT) is valid. Might be worth a call.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 1:55 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
At one point Georgetown, Guyana was on the route map as served by GoCarribean network airlines, but it isn't showing any more.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 12:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
I've booked a Caribbean Sun award ticket via USAir and had no problems. In fact I did DCA-PHL-STT (St. Thomas) on the way in on US metal and then did STX-SJU-PHL-DCA on the way out. Since the STX flight was on Caribbean Sun I had to book this over the phone as a Caribbean Sun Award. I believe Caribbean Sun and Caribbean Star are affiliated, but I'm not sure if this affiliation extends to the relationship Sun has with US.

Sean
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:53 am

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, Intercontinental Platinum
Have a nice flight!
Old Dec 19, 2004, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Thank you

Friends,

Thank you for your input. I greatly appreciate it, with the exception oflast message, I do not know what that means. Can someone explain?

I just checked Caribbean Sun's website andthey do not fly to Georgetown, Guyana. Any other options?

Thank you again.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by klakhav
Friends,

Thank you for your input. I greatly appreciate it, with the exception oflast message, I do not know what that means. Can someone explain?

I just checked Caribbean Sun's website andthey do not fly to Georgetown, Guyana. Any other options?

Thank you again.
Well, according to the usairways.com website info---

http://usairways.com/dividendmiles/r...ocaribbean.htm

Caribbean Partner Airlines

-Bahamasair
-Caribbean Star
-Caribbean Sun

Awards

Within the Caribbean

--One Economy

Between the United States or Canada and the Caribbean

One Economy--------One First
----30,000------------60,000

Award reservations for Bahamasair will be accepted beginning September 15, 2004.
Note: Award travel is subject to certain taxes and fees.

Valid Award Destinations:
U.S. / Canada-- Any city in the U.S. or Canada serviced by US Airways, the US Airways Express carriers or US Airways Shuttle

Caribbean --Anguilla, Antigua, Arthurs Town, Barbados, The Bright, Crooked Island, Dead Man's Cay, Dominica, Freeport, Ft. Lauderdale, Georgetown, Governor's Harbour, Grenada, Guyana, Inagua, Marsh Harbour, Miami, North Eleuthera, Orlando, Palm Beach, Providenciales, Rock Sound, San Salvador, Spring Point, Stella Maris, St.Kitts, St.Lucia, St.Maarten, St.Vincent, Treasure Cay, Tortola, Trinidad, Tobago

It looks to me, just glancing at a Georgetown travel web site, that Caribbean Star flies into GEO--so you should be able to call USAIRWAYS award reservations and book an award ticket from GEO to a city in the USA served by USAIRWAYS. It would likely be a combination of connecting flights using US and Caribbean Star metal (if I am interpreting the web site correctly).

Last edited by chicagorich; Dec 20, 2004 at 12:13 am Reason: spelling
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StSebastian
At one point Georgetown, Guyana was on the route map as served by GoCarribean network airlines, but it isn't showing any more.
Yeah--I see that also--I think Georgetown is right at the edge of the Eastern Caribbean award zone.

The US web site shows Georgetown as a valid award destination in the Caribbean network and when I look at a general Guyana travel web site, it looks like a lot of the airlines that do fly into Georgetown connect in Trinidad or Tobago which is on the Eastern Caribbean route map.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 8:11 am

Location: Somewhere west of the Atlantic Ocean and east of the Pacific Ocean...
Programs: Elite of none; flyer of many
Georgetown in that list might also mean Georgetown, Grand Cayman? Very vague...
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N674UW
Georgetown in that list might also mean Georgetown, Grand Cayman? Very vague...
Well--here is what I see online at the usairways site--using PHL and GEO as city destinations:

Some flights from GEO to PHL:

BW------------432----GEO-----MIA----540A---1035A--- 1---738
US Airways---26-----MIA------PHL---440P---725P----0--733

BW-------------432----GEO-----BGI----540A---655A--- 1---738
US Airways---1476---BGI------PHL----435---839P---0---319

LI-------------386-----GEO-----BGI----1045A---1250P---0---DH8
US Airways--1476---BGI------PHL-----435P---839P---0---319

8B--------------722-----GEO------BGI----1050A---1250P---0---DH8
US Airways---1476-----BGI-------PHL-----435P---839P---0---319

Flight: 8B 722
Airline: Caribbean Star Airlines

So--US has several flight options to GEO--and the web site says that 8B is the airline code for Caibbean Star

If I look at Caribbean Star's website, and look up flights from GEO to PHL, it shows--

Flight information
to: Philadelphia International Airport, USA

Connecting Flights

Flight: 8B 722
Airline: Caribbean Star Airlines

Depart: Georgetown
Terminal:
Departure Time: 10:50, Thursday 23 December 2004

Arrive: Barbados
Terminal:
Arrival Time: 12:50, Thursday 23 December 2004

Stops: Non-Stop
Travel Time: 2hrs
Aircraft: DH8 (de Havilland DHC-8 Dash 8)
Classes offered: Business Economy
Notes:

---- Connecting to ----

Flight: US 1476
Airline: US Airways

Depart: Barbados
Terminal:
Departure Time: 16:35, Thursday 23 December 2004

Arrive: Philadelphia International Airport
Terminal: Terminal A
Arrival Time: 20:39, Thursday 23 December 2004

Stops: Non-Stop
Travel Time: 5hrs 4mins
Aircraft: 319 (Airbus Industrie A319)
Classes offered: First Economy

So, it looks like Caribbean Star and USAIRWAYS do partner up. As to if Georgetown is an available award destination as shown on the website for usairways, it is probably best to call and ask the agent directly.

I do notice on the usairways website that it lists Georgetown and Guyana separately as valid award destinations in the Caribbean.

Last edited by chicagorich; Dec 20, 2004 at 1:45 pm Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.