Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earlier demise of "The Bayer Express"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:45 pm

Programs: US1
HPTunco does have a point...I have heard of people who live in NYC. Live in Manhatten and will go to JFK to save 30 dollars on a fare and yet they will take a taxi which takes more time and costs 35 at the least one way. There are many people out there that will do some crazy things to save a buck or two.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:54 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Flying a LCC to board an all-biz Lufthansa flight to Europe seems entirely counterproductive to this "creative passenger."
Note that the all-biz solution was never listed as the only remaining possibility by LH, I think it was just what was being considered at the time that the quote came out from LH/PIT.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 3:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN
HPTunco does have a point...I have heard of people who live in NYC. Live in Manhatten and will go to JFK to save 30 dollars on a fare and yet they will take a taxi which takes more time and costs 35 at the least one way. There are many people out there that will do some crazy things to save a buck or two.
It's not a buck or two. It's the idea of a guaranteed savings of $50 (or whatever) on the ticket, versus the "option" to "splurge" on the cab for $40 instead of taking public transport. Which carries better bragging rights? "I spent $198+tax to fly to LA for the weekend [but spent $80 getting to/from JFK]," or "I spent $258+tax to fly to LA for the weekend [but spent only $20 on an airport shuttle to/from LGA, on the AirTrain to EWR, etc.]". Total out of pocket is the same in either case, so the rational consumer should be indifferent. Of course, we all know that if one flight offers FF miles and the other doesn't....
Old Mar 16, 2005, 5:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by HPTunco
Sure, it's more convenient to check bags through and have one continuous ticket, but people do many elaborate things with regard to saving money on airline tickets. Don't underestimate the creativity and resolve of passengers who can save hundreds of dollars by flying LCC to PIT, then on to Europe.
Yeah, and then they'll come onto FT and complain after the LCC flight is late, they misconnect, and the Int'l carrier tells them they're SOL! I agree, people sometimes do this, but I find it difficult to believe that the savings are ever worth the potential aggravation. I also can't imagine any carrier takes this sort of feed into account when deciding whether to offer service.

I think the most likely scenario (if any) is the all-business 737, with Bayer et al guaranteeing enough seat sales to make it profitable. Anyone have any idea what the loads were like in front when US operated the service?
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, Intercontinental Platinum
Originally Posted by murphy

I think the most likely scenario (if any) is the all-business 737, with Bayer et al guaranteeing enough seat sales to make it profitable. Anyone have any idea what the loads were like in front when US operated the service?
The flight was always full of passengers and full of cargo. US maintains that with less feeder flights, the flight wasn't practical for them. However, the truth is closer to the fact that they wanted to channel Euro flights through PHL, with CLT as a secondary departure point. US didn't want to maintain another international station, customs, etc.

PIT can sustain a daily flight to FRA......hopefully LH will be the carrier! ^
Old Mar 13, 2006, 3:13 am

Programs: US Gold, CO Silver,HH Gold,*wood Gold
Based on the linked article, it doesn't look like PIT will be getting any direct European service anytime soon via US. According to Parker, US won't be adding this service and the airline is saying that the route needs to generate $70mm to $80mm per year to start up. That sounds prohibitively high.

At least the PIT operations center is (for now) being designated as the primary operations center for the airline nationally (and PHX the secondary center). Also the heavy airbus maintenance will stay at Pittsburgh International.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_432146.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.