USAir's website basically sucks

Old Apr 8, 04, 3:04 pm
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 674
USAir's website basically sucks

I haven't flown USAir much. Basically because the few times I've been forced to fly them (mostly 2-4 years ago), I never (repeat NEVER!) had a flight that was on time. And not just by a few minutes - we're talking 2+hour delays on at least one leg of EVERY round trip! I always noticed they had good overall ontime ratings, so perhaps I was just unlucky.

I've been doing MCO-PHL for a few weeks and since Southwest doesn't start service until May 9th, I was forced to give USAir another chance. In 8 or 9 flights, I've only had one minor delay, so that's an improvement. But, I've come to absolutely despise USAir's website.

Half (hell, actually more like 90%) of the time, when trying to book a flight, something times out or otherwise goes kaput sometime between the intial flight search and the ticket purchase; the dividend miles section is disorganized and doesn't seem to provide much information when compared to United, Delta, AA, etc.; throughout the website, you basically get f***ed if you try to use the "back" button. I'll somehow actually manage to accumulated over 25,000 (lifetime) miles on USAir before the end of this month. I'd prefer to take the UA miles, but need to put them on Dividend miles to get the Fly 3 / Fly Free promo. I'm usually not so difficult to please, but with USAir, it seems that if it isn't one thing, it's another.
MCOisHOME2ME is offline  
Old Apr 8, 04, 4:26 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 26
US isn't the only carrier that serves MCO or PHL. If they are that bad, you certainly have a choice of many carriers with a connection. While US does have some issues, I would rather take them over DL any day. Good luck in your furture travel.
USFLYER1 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 04, 5:06 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Baltimore/Washington DC
Programs: DM,A+,UAMP,PriorityClub,WNRR
Posts: 497
Originally Posted by USFLYER1
US isn't the only carrier that serves MCO or PHL. If they are that bad, you certainly have a choice of many carriers with a connection. While US does have some issues, I would rather take them over DL any day. Good luck in your furture travel.

Airtran flies MCO-PHL-MCO nonstop also!
BWI2MCO97 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 04, 7:50 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: PIT
Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Posts: 2,544


If its so bad fly someone else. Have fun on WN.

Originally Posted by MCOisHOME2ME
I haven't flown USAir much. Basically because the few times I've been forced to fly them (mostly 2-4 years ago), I never (repeat NEVER!) had a flight that was on time. And not just by a few minutes - we're talking 2+hour delays on at least one leg of EVERY round trip! I always noticed they had good overall ontime ratings, so perhaps I was just unlucky.

I've been doing MCO-PHL for a few weeks and since Southwest doesn't start service until May 9th, I was forced to give USAir another chance. In 8 or 9 flights, I've only had one minor delay, so that's an improvement. But, I've come to absolutely despise USAir's website.

Half (hell, actually more like 90%) of the time, when trying to book a flight, something times out or otherwise goes kaput sometime between the intial flight search and the ticket purchase; the dividend miles section is disorganized and doesn't seem to provide much information when compared to United, Delta, AA, etc.; throughout the website, you basically get f***ed if you try to use the "back" button. I'll somehow actually manage to accumulated over 25,000 (lifetime) miles on USAir before the end of this month. I'd prefer to take the UA miles, but need to put them on Dividend miles to get the Fly 3 / Fly Free promo. I'm usually not so difficult to please, but with USAir, it seems that if it isn't one thing, it's another.
NeoOfTheCRS is offline  
Old Apr 8, 04, 8:18 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ORD / MDW / FLL
Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 2,078
Talking It's Not That Bad

I must humbly disagree.

Have you ever tried to use the web sites of other carriers. Many do not let you search by fare (as US does). Many try to stick you with undesirable itineraries and won't let you play with them to find a more appealing option. Many are simply not visually appealing.

The US web site is by no means perfect and can be fussy at times. However, I think it is by far one of the better sites out there. I just hate AA and UA's web sites. WN has an excellent web site that is easy to navigate but it is not without it's faults as well. If you are more concerned about your web site experience than being forced through an airline like cattle then by all means enjoy your flights on WN to PHL.

As a side note...I was under the impression that US was planning a complete overhaul of the website in the next month or two. Was I wrong about that?
SOBE ER DOC is offline  
Old Apr 8, 04, 8:48 pm
  #6  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 674
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
I just hate AA and UA's web sites.
I guess file it under "your mileage may vary" then. I don't use AA much, but I use United's website all the time and absolutely love it. Usually by the time I get to the airline's website, I know what I want to book and just want to book it and move on. I don't spend a lot of time searching for fares on airline websites - I leave that to sidestep, orbitz, travelocity and expedia. Perhaps our different uses lead to differing expectations and experiences.

And, referencing other responses - yes, I could take AirTran (and I have a few trips between philly & orlando) or a connection, so I'm not "forced" onto US. But, they do have the best schedules on the route. Normally I'd just avoid the website altogether and book on 3rd party - but gotta go through usair.com to get the fly 3 deal.
MCOisHOME2ME is offline  
Old Apr 8, 04, 8:51 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVPG MR Platinum Prem
Posts: 238
just saw this thread in time to vent about using the website tonight. I tried to purchase my award ticket that was on hold, only to have it sent me back to the home page 3 times after putting in my credit card, etc. Then after finally getting it to work and getting the confirmation, I check and it still shows as being on hold until "ERROR central standard time". Very nice.

The only thing I like about their site is the ability to search by price. Now that is a feature I wish everyone had.
hrdjeepzj is offline  
Old Apr 8, 04, 10:52 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: HKY
Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Posts: 4,466
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
As a side note...I was under the impression that US was planning a complete overhaul of the website in the next month or two. Was I wrong about that?
Flew with one of the EX VP's a week or so ago and he indicated the roll out is four months away.
longing4piedmont is offline  
Old Apr 9, 04, 8:03 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 478
the website is imperfect but far less irritating than united's. it is good to hear that improvements are coming
bofie is offline  
Old Apr 9, 04, 8:48 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Whitehall, PA, USA
Programs: HHonors Gold
Posts: 577
Talking Thankfully he was an EX VIP

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Flew with one of the EX VP's a week or so ago and he indicated the roll out is four months away.
If he was current I'd doubt l4p would have let him get off the plane alive.
sassamanlaw is offline  
Old Apr 9, 04, 9:38 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: HKY
Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Posts: 4,466
Originally Posted by sassamanlaw
If he was current I'd doubt l4p would have let him get off the plane alive.
Oh for sure he is a current EX VP. One of the top three, and actually it was the other way around. He saw the cockroach tag and thought it was inappropriate. I think it really pi55ed him off. Even more so when I told him it was both a jab at BBB and my small way of showing support for the employees.

I then got the mantra of how we needed to pay for the services we received and those who paid more got more, etc, and he then turned the tag over to make sure he got my name and address. If he had only known I was on a $300 R/T ticket and had flown in first on all four legs on a 1000 mile trip. I was smiling on the inside, just a like a true cockroach. Of course if he reads this I will be truly black balled and BBB will really be out to get me cause he knows where I live.
longing4piedmont is offline  
Old Apr 9, 04, 1:51 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 478
. Of course if he reads this I will be truly black balled and BBB will really be out to get me cause he knows where I live. [/QUOTE]



Blackballed? From what?

Who's BBB? Tony Soprano?
bofie is offline  
Old Apr 9, 04, 2:46 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 901
Originally Posted by bofie
Who's BBB? Tony Soprano?
BBB= B. Ben Baldanza, US Airways' senior VP of marketing and planning
A320 EOW is offline  
Old Apr 9, 04, 6:35 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greenfield, NH
Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,199
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
... One of the top three...
I then got the mantra of how we needed to pay for the services we received and those who paid more got more, etc,
And I suppose this bozo paid for the services that he received?

These guys are so out of touch with reality that it takes your breath away.

To stay at least partly on topic -- the web site sucks. And I don't mean that in a good way either. Search by price may be a nice idea but it is so badly implemented as to be worthless. The back button is inexcusable. The account management features are unspeakably behind the times. An upgrade in 4 months sounds promising but given their history I wouldn't be holding my breath or looking forward to a smooth rollout...
TomBascom is offline  
Old Apr 10, 04, 8:05 pm
  #15  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: MKE
Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Posts: 3,293
US Airways' web site is terrible. Simply terrible.

I fly US Airways relatively frequency because I travel a lot to Pittsburgh from the west coast, and they are the only airline that flies non-stop.

Anyway ...

Their web site is TERRIBLE. I thought I'd list a few problems in the hopes that someone at US Airways will realize this.

1. No back button. You can't go and change a reservation without practically starting all over.
2. Your session constantly expires so you can't even use your browser's back button.
3. If you make a typo in your address when booking it doesn't remember your previous entry.
4. You have to have TWO different log-ins! One for your Dividend Miles account and the other for your reservations.
5. You Dividend Miles number is not associated with your ticket purchasing account so you can't log into Dividend Miles to view your reservations.
6. You can't simply give it dates and have it give you the lowest fare flight combination. You have to guess first and pick two flights (say for a round trip) and THEN after you choose your flights it'll provide you with the lower priced alternatives.


And many more. US Airways is trying so hard to promote its web site (the new plane livery is a good example .... ) yet it's almost unusable. Southwest, though ugly, has a wonderfully usable web site, and jetBlue's is usable and aesthetically pleasing. AA has a nice site because it's AAdvantage log in is tied into its reservations.

Something needs to change.
Jumpgate is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: