Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Sucks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2003, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
He he. LOL!! A glass glass on a US domestic flight! That is rich!

I think the only place you can get a glass glass is in envoy and the days of that are probably numbered.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jetsetter:
I know this is going on for most FC flights, but I thought PIT SFO would have glass and full meals since it is a transcon?</font>
Old Oct 15, 2003, 8:33 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nawlinsdoc:
This is exactly the problem US is getting itself into. Soon, there really will be no difference. That's when US goes bye-bye. </font>
This is becoming particularly clear to me here in Boston. One can fly to LGA, DCA, the hubs, and perhaps a couple Caribbean destinations (if you time it right) conveniently, but that's it! For any other major destination, someone else has better service, by most any measures you might use.

Old Oct 15, 2003, 8:50 am

I have had the privilege of getting first for the much of the year. However, nearly every time I do, I notice something else missing. First it was the plastic, then the bad meals, now service is down and the meals are getting even worse. Last week on two different flights they were out of white wine. I was offered sparkling on one and screw cap coach on the other. Ok, one of these can happen on any given flight, but now it is happening on nearly every flight.

I just booked two UA, one CO, one Jet Blue and (yes I did it) one Delta through the rest of the year. Next weeks flights on US are my last for the year. If they consider improvements I may come back. Folks, flying is a pain to begin with, the airline you choose should not make it any worse. This is not the airline of a few years ago, and frankly, today it is not the airline it was just 6 months ago.

[This message has been edited by MikeM6090 (edited 10-15-2003).]
Old Oct 15, 2003, 9:02 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rd7242:
So I flew PIT-SFO last night after upgrading my rediculously low cockroach fare.

Scaled down IFC meal with plasticware. Plastic cups of course.
</font>
I don't believe you would have been served an InFlight Cafe (IFC) meal in first, I don't believe IFC is served in first at all anymore. IFC would have probably been a step up from what you were served.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 9:08 am

It is a scaled down IFC meal. On Saturday morning, in FC, I got a yogurt, an apple, and a turkey croisant sandwich. The other option was a yogurt, a muffin, and a bowl of cut up fruit.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 9:23 am

Beckles brings up a good point. IFC is served only in coach, the first class version of IFC is a shriveled, halved, and wilted version of the paid coach IFC.

We REALLY need to rename it so as not to ruin the good name of the coach IFC

Anyone want to suggest any names (acronymns)?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Beckles:
I don't believe you would have been served an InFlight Cafe (IFC) meal in first, I don't believe IFC is served in first at all anymore. IFC would have probably been a step up from what you were served.</font>
Old Oct 15, 2003, 10:31 am

I'm just interested to find out of those who think US first class sucks (I don't think it sucks, but it's pretty stripped down)which other airline offers as liberal of an upgrade policy? If it wasn't for this most of us wouldn't be in the front anyway.

For those who paid full fare, yes you're entitled to be pissed off, for those upgrading on cockroach fares - cry me a river

My $.02, FWIW
Old Oct 15, 2003, 10:37 am

Location: Somewhere west of the Atlantic Ocean and east of the Pacific Ocean...
Programs: Elite of none; flyer of many
I agree with the sentiment that F class is more about the seat than the food...I usually eat in Asian Chao in the PHL B/C food court before departing PHL and in other airports I manage to find something....IFC is an insult to FC service...heres a name for it in F:

IFC: Inadequate First Cuisine

I miss the real chicken dishes that they had on the East Coast-Florida runs..those were really good...

N674UW
Old Oct 15, 2003, 10:49 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dwsnc:
I'm just interested to find out of those who think US first class sucks (I don't think it sucks, but it's pretty stripped down)</font>
Compared to a year ago? It sucks. Compared to 4 years ago? It really sucks. Compared to coach? The seat is bigger and it's closer to the front.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">which other airline offers as liberal of an upgrade policy?</font>
NW & CO are both more liberal.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">If it wasn't for this most of us wouldn't be in the front anyway.</font>
So?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">For those who paid full fare, yes you're entitled to be pissed off[</font>
If you pay full fare you're entitled to be pissed off on that basis alone. Sitting in the currently degraded F cabin is just rubbing salt into the wound.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">, for those upgrading on cockroach fares - cry me a river

My $.02, FWIW
</font>
Boo hoo. Upgrades and loyalty programs aren't about the fares paid on any given trip. They're about your revenue stream. This week I'm on an award. Sometimes I'm on a V, K or H fare. Sometimes I'm on a Y or a B. The experience and the service is the same. If they want my Y & B business they better start picking up the quality of service -- because if I'm shelling out that kind of money I'd rather spend it where it's worth something. Until now I've spent my money with US because a) I could get the upgrades and b) they were worth getting. B is quickly becoming moot. I can get upgraded just as easily on at least 2 other airlines which go to all of the other places I'm interested in. (And it isn't that much harder on the rest of the pack.) The other guys still have a product worth striving for. Inertia won't keep people around forever...
Old Oct 15, 2003, 10:54 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dwsnc:
I'm just interested to find out of those who think US first class sucks (I don't think it sucks, but it's pretty stripped down)which other airline offers as liberal of an upgrade policy? If it wasn't for this most of us wouldn't be in the front anyway.
</font>
You make a vaild point. I, too, would rather have a better seat upfront and "coach" beverage service than sit in 32 inch pitch coach with a "1st class" meal.

However, as was pointed out earlier, if Jetblue already has comfy seats and regular beverage service, there will come a point in time during which there won't be a reason for anyone (except some of the FF's on here with billions of miles stored up) to fly US, given the current fare structure. Something will give soon.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 11:03 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by N674UW:
IFC is an insult to FC service...heres a name for it in F:

IFC: Inadequate First Cuisine
</font>

One more time, InFlight Cafe (IFC) is served in coach ... not first.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I miss the real chicken dishes that they had on the East Coast-Florida runs..those were really good...
</font>
I'd take IFC over the old cold chicken plate anytime ...

[This message has been edited by Beckles (edited 10-15-2003).]
Old Oct 15, 2003, 12:52 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
In order to appreciate how low US has fallen, take a look at this fine collection of Alaska FC meal photos posted by a passenger:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/004087.html

BTW, has anyone ever heard from Consumer Services or anyone else as to why the US FC meals are inferior to coach IFC?
Old Oct 15, 2003, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles Silver, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
When it comes in the same IFC box made to look like a basket, what else should we call it?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Beckles:
I don't believe you would have been served an InFlight Cafe (IFC) meal in first, I don't believe IFC is served in first at all anymore. IFC would have probably been a step up from what you were served.</font>
Old Oct 15, 2003, 2:04 pm

Tom is right on. Right now I would not buy and esaver on US even if it upgraded instantly for free. I have been flying US for years simply because their F and Y Class products were amongst the best--now they are at the bottom--the worst--not worth a free upgrade.

For the near term, I am giving my business to UA. A far superior F Class product, a far better Y economy (E+) product. US is destroying its products while still charging a premium for it. (Cosumers aren't stupid and we are figuring it out.)

I am very angry at what BBB and Dave have done to our airline. US's continued losses while other airlines move toward profit prove that they have lost their game. They cannot save US by destroying its products through short-sighted cost cuts. CONSUMERS HAVE A CHOICE DAVE AND BEN!! But they probably won't figure it out until Dave Bonner pulls the plug on financing and decides that US has greater value in Chapter 7. This is all very sad.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 2:59 pm

Location: Somewhere west of the Atlantic Ocean and east of the Pacific Ocean...
Programs: Elite of none; flyer of many
Regardless of what we think of the current food in F, its still IFC in a reduced form...hence the pun Inadequate First Cuisine

The pics at http://www.airlinemeals.net still show that its undeniably IFC...

N674UW

Edited to fix a few conceptual things that I misunderstood at first...

[This message has been edited by N674UW (edited 10-15-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.