Wiki Posts
Search

Use DS0077 and get UA miles?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2003, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Use DS0077 and get UA miles?

I'm flying DCA-CLT-LGW and return next week. I want to get UA miles for the flight AND use a DS0077 (Space Available Transatlantic Upgrade).

US tells me I have to choose - can't use the DS0077 and get UA miles.

Does anybody know if I just show up at the gate at DCA or CLT with the DS0077, if the GA will UG me, regardless of where the miles are deposited.

I have to get the UA miles to match a UA promo, so if need be I'll bypass the UG.

Any experience with this?
Old Nov 28, 2003, 11:31 pm

I've had this problem with the domestic version. Apparently it is not that you have to get US but rather a US number must be in the system for the computer to change the booking to the upgraded class. The agent who did my booking (I think) did something like put in my US to complete the upgrade and once that was done go back in and remove it and replace it with the UA number.

Whatever she did it worked as I got UA credit, but again, this was domestic so your certificate could be different.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 9:29 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chuck1:
I've had this problem with the domestic version. Apparently it is not that you have to get US but rather a US number must be in the system for the computer to change the booking to the upgraded class. The agent who did my booking (I think) did something like put in my US to complete the upgrade and once that was done go back in and remove it and replace it with the UA number.

Whatever she did it worked as I got UA credit, but again, this was domestic so your certificate could be different.
</font>
Thanks for the insight chuck1 that sounds like what is going on. I've changed my PNR to include my Dividend Miles number and I'll try to duplicate your situation at the gate. If I get a decent GA it should work out OK.

I'm a little curious about how the return will work. Since I will have the UA number in for the outbound flight, I suspect the computer won't let me UG on the return so I'll probably have to switch the PNR back the the US number. I only hope that the miles don't process in some way that causes them to be sent to US.

If anybody knows how that process works and the best bet for my getting the UG and UA miles, as carried out above, I'd appreciate any info.

Old Nov 29, 2003, 5:22 pm

I used two DS077 upgrades from a Q fare to Envoy (transatlantic PIT-FRA) and got credited UA miles without problems. Also, 100% upgrade success (it was one month ago)!
silver
Old Nov 30, 2003, 6:46 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by silvertex:
I used two DS077 upgrades from a Q fare to Envoy (transatlantic PIT-FRA) and got credited UA miles without problems. Also, 100% upgrade success (it was one month ago)!
silver
</font>
silvertex that sounds like my situation exactly. May I ask:

1.Did you get the UG for both domestic and int'l segments in PIT or did you have to go through the process again in PHL (or CLT)?

2. Did you have to get the UG with your US number in the record then switch to your UA number with the GA?

3. How did this work on the return? Did you have to reinsert your US number from FRA to use the cert on the return?

I"d be interested in anything else that seems necessary to make this work.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by nor4 (edited Nov 30, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by nor4 (edited Nov 30, 2003).]
Old Dec 10, 2003, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Just a followup for others who may be using US UGs but want UA miles. Here's my experience.
First, I had to give my US number at DCA to get my place in UG line. I then immediately asked to have my UA number put in for miles. This was done without question.

My UA number stayed in the record for the rest of my flights. No need to reenter my US number ex London.

More interesting was the following. My return flight to CLT was delayed so pax were moved to the PHL flight. Because I am a UA 1K I was considered a CP by the folks making space availability decisions and UG decisions. The result was that I was immediately put in Envoy (I was told I was put at the top of the list) and got the seat I had requested (3C).

So despite having no US status I was given CP status for UG purposes because of my 1K UA status. I tend to think this was a glitch somewhere in the system, but I didn't complain .

BTW, Envoy was great. Used the arrivals lounge at LGW, very nice, and the Club in CLT and PHL. Simply flashed my 1K card and was admitted.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 8:25 am

Nor4 sorry for my late email answer. I simply do not check the US Air forum frequently (nor my hotmail acct.) But it seems you had a nice trip! :-=
Old Dec 13, 2003, 5:10 pm

I would try this if I was given a hard time about inputting a UA number after the upgrade. Give US a US DM number, just make sure it's not yours, either a family member or better yet, a friend who's name DOESN'T match yours at all. US should not award credit to a FF account unless the name matches that of the traveller. So while you get your upgrade, then request the mileage from UA and mail them your boarding passes/stubs and ticket receipt. You should get upgraded and earn UA MP miles.

This probably won't work only if US knows when you give them somebody else's number and it doesn't match the traveller name, but I have been able to input other people's FF numbers on reservations before (not US, never tried). As to it crediting successfully, that's another story...

[This message has been edited by cab747 (edited Dec 13, 2003).]
Old Dec 14, 2003, 7:27 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nor4:
Just a followup for others who may be using US UGs but want UA miles. Here's my experience.
First, I had to give my US number at DCA to get my place in UG line. I then immediately asked to have my UA number put in for miles. This was done without question.

</font>
Interesting, as I stated before they never asked me for my US DM number I had always my UA MP number on the record and was immediately placed on the UG list. I had no luck in upgrading my leg DFW-PHL nor PIT-DFW, but was upgraded without any problems at the gate in PHL and FRA. The miles posted as full Y-class 3 days later in the MP account.
Greetings
silver

[This message has been edited by silvertex (edited Dec 14, 2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.