Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger)
Reload this Page >

US Airways Express To Begin Nonstop Asheville-New York Regional Jet Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2003, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*

First posting didn't come out correctly- sorry.

http://www.usairways.com/about/press/nw_03_1208.htm

US AIRWAYS EXPRESS TO BEGIN NONSTOP ASHEVILLE-NEW YORK REGIONAL JET SERVICE

ARLINGTON, Va., Dec. 8, 2003 -- US Airways Express announced today that it will begin twice-daily nonstop regional jet service between Asheville, N.C., and New York’s LaGuardia Airport on Feb. 8, 2004.

The new flights will use 50-seat regional jets operated by US Airways Express affiliate carriers Chautauqua and Mesa Airlines.

Sunday-Friday Schedule
Departing Asheville Arriving New York
7:25 a.m. 9 a.m.
5:35 p.m. 7:10 p.m.

Departing New York Arriving Asheville

2:55 p.m.
5 p.m.
7:41 p.m. 9:52 p.m.

Saturday Schedule

Departing Asheville

Arriving New York
7:25 a.m. 9 a.m.

Departing New York Arriving Asheville
2:30 p.m. 4:35 p.m.

"The Asheville community has been very supportive of not only our nonstop service to destinations in the Carolinas, but connecting service to 110 cities beyond," said Daniel M. McDonald, US Airways vice president of planning and scheduling. "We are pleased to expand our presence in Western Carolina to include daily nonstop service to New York, one of the country’s premiere business and leisure destinations."

From Asheville, US Airways Express operates seven daily Charlotte, N.C. roundtrip flights, as well as daily roundtrip service to Greenville, S.C., and Raleigh/Durham, N.C.

US Airways is offering an introductory special of triple Dividend Miles for paid, qualifying nonstop flights between Asheville and New York LaGuardia, Feb. 8-Apr. 8, 2004. Members must register before departure at usairways.com/dm/7569 or by calling 800-872-4738 and entering bonus number 7569.

This offer is applicable on published fares on US Airways’ nonstop or direct flights between Asheville and New York LaGuardia. Bonus miles do not count toward earning Preferred status or E-Upgrades. This offer cannot be combined with other flight bonus offers. Retroactive mileage credit will not be given prior to registration. All Dividend Miles terms and conditions apply.

Passengers flying on US Airways Express regional jets travel comfortably in a quiet, roomy cabin equipped with leather seats where every seat is on either an aisle or a window. Regional jets offer stand-up headroom, reclining seatbacks, large overhead storage bins, and a restroom. Flight attendant service is provided on every flight.

These regional jets have a cruising speed of over 500 miles per hour with a range of more than 1,000 miles, and can cruise at altitudes above 35,000 feet, providing US Airways Express long-range regional jet capability.

The US Airways Express wholly owned subsidiaries and affiliate carriers currently operate more than 2,000 flights daily, serving nearly 150 destinations in the U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean. For additional information on fares and schedules, visit US Airways online at usairways.com.

Reporters needing additional information should contact US Airways Corporate Affairs at (703) 872-5100.
Old Dec 8, 2003, 1:00 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, Intercontinental Platinum
Asheville to LGA? I guess the Vanderbilt's won't need to take the train to Biltmore anymore!

Old Dec 8, 2003, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat

Finally, CO gets some competition on their twice-daily AVL - EWR route!

Connecting in CLT gets me just about everywhere I want to go as a leisure flier, so I'm not sure I'd use this new service much. I know that the local businessmen are pleased, though.

BTW, the George Vanderbilt descendants live in AVL and haven't taken the train down to GSP (no direct passenger service to AVL) in a very long time.......
Old Dec 8, 2003, 2:43 pm
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kudzu:
</font>
I was sort of wondering if this would cause CO to have second thoughts about continuing their EWR service. Can AVL support 4 flights a day to NYC?

edited to fix bungled quote

[This message has been edited by Oxb (edited Dec 08, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Oxb (edited Dec 08, 2003).]
Old Dec 8, 2003, 3:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
Is there that much demand for AVL to LGA?

And who the heck writes this drivel.......Passengers flying on US Airways Express regional jets travel comfortably in a quiet, roomy cabin equipped with leather seats where every seat is on either an aisle or a window. Regional jets offer stand-up headroom, reclining seatbacks, large overhead storage bins, and a restroom. Flight attendant service is provided on every flight.

They must have been only 4 foot tall. I'm only 5'7" and find the RJ's cramped.

Old Dec 8, 2003, 4:51 pm

What really amazes me is that for the 2 flights daily they are going to use 2 contract carriers, Mesa and Chautaqua. Sounds like another case of good planning. How about letting PSA fly their new jets on the route.
Old Dec 8, 2003, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum & D2, US SP, SPG Gold
Compared to coach on a US 737, the ERJ's do feel spacious.
Old Dec 8, 2003, 5:57 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kudzu:

Connecting in CLT gets me just about everywhere I want to go as a leisure flier, so I'm not sure I'd use this new service much. I know that the local businessmen are pleased, though.

BTW, the George Vanderbilt descendants live in AVL and haven't taken the train down to GSP (no direct passenger service to AVL) in a very long time.......[/B]</font>
Yes, there is. AVL-GSP-RDU and back once daily.

------------------
"Press two and the star button now" -- AA automated information by telephone, 1996
"Press two" -- AA automated information by telephone, 2003
Old Dec 8, 2003, 8:14 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by trvlr64:
Is there that much demand for AVL to LGA?

And who the heck writes this drivel, large overhead storage bins, .

</font>
LARGE overhead bins!? Now that is more of a stretch than the stand-up cabin!

------------------
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"
(Leslie Nielsen as Dr Rumack in "Airplane")
Old Dec 8, 2003, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
Yes, there is. AVL-GSP-RDU and back once daily.
</font>
I was referring to passenger train service to/from AVL as a side comment. I live here, and if there's a passenger train, then it's something most locals don't know about.
Old Dec 9, 2003, 3:50 am

This is an interesting route that US is starting. What industry and corporations are located in AVL that would have ties to NYC?

I'm not knocking nonstop service for the fine folks of AVL, but I'm just wondering how this route will sustain itself over the long term.

Also, as another poster pointed out, sure is interesting that US will use two contract carriers to operate the route. I guess there is no greater efficiency by using only one carrier? Of course I've always wondered what overhead costs could be avoided by having fewer contract carriers under the US livery? At a minimum I would believe the legal expenses alone would provide significant savings as there must be redundancy reviewing/managing multiple contracts for the same purpose. I could go on. Perhaps this would be a great Capstone project for some grad student to research. I certainly would love to do it if I were in school.

------------------
US-CP; UA PE; AA Plat; Hilton Gold VIP; Six Continents Gold
Old Dec 9, 2003, 9:25 am
JS
Suspended

I was referring to passenger train service to/from AVL as a side comment. I live here, and if there's a passenger train, then it's something most locals don't know about.</font>
Oops, I thought you were talking about air. Airport codes are for airplanes.

Actually, there is a discussion going on to have a train between Greenville and Asheville. There is a stretch of track that hasn't been used in years, and people want something on it before the railroads tear it up for scrap. The sticking point is where do you start to reach that track (Greenville, Spartanburg, Greer, etc.?), and how far can you go on existing track in service at the other end (Hendersonville, Asheville, etc.?)

One of these days I am going to figure out a way to fly between GSP and AVL without spending a fortune, just to say I flew the route.

------------------
"Press two and the star button now" -- AA automated information by telephone, 1996

[This message has been edited by JS (edited Dec 09, 2003).]
Old Dec 9, 2003, 10:10 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">One of these days I am going to figure out a way to fly between GSP and AVL without spending a fortune, just to say I flew the route.</font>
If you figure out a way to do that, you can have the person that drops you off at GSP waiting for you at AVL to pick you up

Old Dec 9, 2003, 11:20 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Question:

Are both Mesa and Chataqua ERJs equipped to carry a Kennel as checked baggage?

My dog and I have been flying into GSP from LGA on US, even though AVL is more convenient for Hendersonville. BTW, CO jets flying EWR-AVL are not equipped to carry Kennels, and CO is too expensive (the dog pays more than me!)
Old Dec 9, 2003, 12:31 pm
JS
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Oxb:
If you figure out a way to do that, you can have the person that drops you off at GSP waiting for you at AVL to pick you up

</font>
It's only a 20 minute flight (probably 10 minutes actual flight time), so I would be the one waiting for the driver.

------------------

[This message has been edited by JS (edited Dec 09, 2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.