Community
Wiki Posts
Search

November "Bring Your Mug Month" Trips

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2003, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Today when I ordered my screwdriver, I presented my cockroach mug to my receptive FA, explained to him what my mission was, and was met with the following response: "This is fabulous." He even gave me an extra (i.e. 3rd) bottle of Finlandia because the mug holds so much more than the plastic cups!

He and another FA then engaged me in a lengthy conversation about how horrible US has become, and that they're actually embarrassed to be working the front cabin now. He said that sometimes the cleaning crew doesn't even load toilet paper in the lavs prior to the transcons departing. It was like the floodgates had opened and all of the frustrations these poor FA's have been feeling the last couple of years just came barreling out. They were fascinated by the roach mugs, so I gave them (and my seat-mate) the us-cockroach website.

I explained to the FA's the goal and purpose of the cockroach movement, and reiterated our appreciation of all their hard work. My thanks -- and hearing that we're all out there rooting for them -- brought a smile to their faces, and I resolved from now on to always make a point of thanking my FA's.
Old Nov 3, 2003, 6:25 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SS255:
Today when I ordered my screwdriver, I presented my cockroach mug to my receptive FA, explained to him what my mission was, and was met with the following response: "This is fabulous." He even gave me an extra (i.e. 3rd) bottle of Finlandia because the mug holds so much more than the plastic cups!

He and another FA then engaged me in a lengthy conversation about how horrible US has become, and that they're actually embarrassed to be working the front cabin now. He said that sometimes the cleaning crew doesn't even load toilet paper in the lavs prior to the transcons departing. It was like the floodgates had opened and all of the frustrations these poor FA's have been feeling the last couple of years just came barreling out. They were fascinated by the roach mugs, so I gave them (and my seat-mate) the us-cockroach website.

I explained to the FA's the goal and purpose of the cockroach movement, and reiterated our appreciation of all their hard work. My thanks -- and hearing that we're all out there rooting for them -- brought a smile to their faces, and I resolved from now on to always make a point of thanking my FA's.
</font>
This sounds great! Every cockroach can make some US employees day... and maybe we can infiltrate CCY someday.

------------------
A "Mileage Run"... is that what they're called? I've been doing them for years and didn't know they had a name.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 12:00 pm

New Cockroaches?

http://www.msnbc.com/news/990534.asp?0cv=CB20

Jane in PHL
Old Nov 11, 2003, 4:55 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
I had several FA's and pilots that were interested in my luggage tag and I pointed them to the website so they could order their own luggage tags. They were all really nice and thought it was interesting that we were fans enough of the airline to do such a thing.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 6:17 am

My FA could of cared less about the mug. The ticket agent though admired my pin so I gave her my cockroach pin.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 7:18 am

I had a sky marshall joke that he wondered if he would get into trouble if he wore one of the pins!

I said he might blend in better to which he commented that he has seen more and more of the pins on passengers.

Told him to keep an eye out for the mugs.

Old Nov 14, 2003, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA
Well, just about 1/2 way through the month, and I expected more comments than this.

Is November a bad month for cockroach travel?
Old Nov 14, 2003, 10:41 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by irabk:
Well, just about 1/2 way through the month, and I expected more comments than this.

Is November a bad month for cockroach travel?
</font>
I'm packing as I type... Everyone cross their fingers that my upgrade will go through at RDU. , as I've flying on a UA ticket on US metal. Looks like lots of availability going out tomorrow, but not for my redeye back on Monday night.

Nonetheless, will report on the flight out over the weekend.

------------------
A "Mileage Run"... is that what they're called? I've been doing them for years and didn't know they had a name.
Old Nov 15, 2003, 1:06 pm

I am reluctant to post my trip report. From PHL-RSW, I fell asleep before we pulled from the gate and didn't wake up until we were straightening our seatbacks. Perhaps if we had been offered a drink, I might have made some headway. On the return, nada from the FA, but interest from my seatmate.

Here's hoping for better luck going to Barbados.

Jane in PHL
Old Nov 15, 2003, 2:06 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JanePond:

Here's hoping for better luck going to Barbados.

</font>
Can I go too? Sounds like a good place for a Cockroach Convention. I don't think my wife will mind, as long as I'm out of her hair!

Actually, I'm sitting in the CLT C club on a 3 hr layover, waiting for my upgrade to clear for SFO. 6 seats open, I'm on top of the list. Let's hope. No comments so far on the cockroach pin... seems like the Saturday staff just is putting in their time. This isn't the first time I've seen this. Anyone else notice this on Saturdays?

------------------
Old Nov 15, 2003, 7:20 pm

Flew again to MCO on Friday. I was on an award ticket in the back. It sure is a lot chummier in those seats. I didn't go nonstop to get the segments.
Old Nov 15, 2003, 7:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: All Airline & Hotel Programs (POINT JUNKIE!)
Please forgive my ignorance.....what is a "Cockroach"?? (Here in Fl. we call them "Palmetto Bugs"....I have seen the term often and been hesitant to ask...Thank for helping me out here...
Old Nov 15, 2003, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA
For all things cockroach, check out www.us-cockroach.com. Be sure to see both the "In Your Own Words" and "Why Cockroach" pages.

You appear to be new to the US Forum. Welcome.

(Edited to spell "cockroach" right the second time.)

[This message has been edited by irabk (edited Nov 15, 2003).]
Old Nov 16, 2003, 2:22 am

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold
ira,

looks like you'll be at las at the same time i'll be there. i am arriving 11/22 onboard flt 697, which arrives in las at 12:something pm, shortly before you depart at 1:00. in fact, you may be boarding the very same 757 i'm coming in on.

it'd be nice to meet you face to face; i'll be wearing a washington redskins pullover and carrying my cockraoch mug. maybe i'll see you there!

-- he who slacks
Old Nov 16, 2003, 3:06 am

I hit the cockroach jackpot!

My upgrade cleared to SFO, seat 1C. FC wasn't filled on an A321... 2 seats empty. FC service was actually decent. Meals were choice of Shrimp Scampi (what I got), Roasted Chicken or a cold Chicken plate. Scampi was excellent, but it only ahd shrimp (6 nice ones) and some rice. No veggies. Small salad and cheesecake brought out together. Choice of bread was brought around. Much better service/attitude than when I flew to Vegas in September.

The main FA, Calvin, loved the mug! Once all were fed, he talked to me at length about what we are doing. I had printed out some of the "business cards" and I gave him a few. He was very excited that some of us actually cared about the company. He's been there 20-some years and sounded as bitter as us. He had just finished an International tour and was disappointed in the decrease in quality of service up front. He made sure the mug wasn't empty.

Looks like we made a friend here. I will forward Ira his info so we can add him to the list.

And... if that wasn't enough... I had a connection from SFO onto LAS on UA. Until the mugs, no US personnel had even commented on my pin, but I only took 1 step onto this 757 when a FA said, "You know you have a bug on your shirt?" I said, "Yes, it's a cockroach, a USAirways Cockroach". She asked why, and I told her all about it. She was pleased that even though I was giving US the business, that I had bought the ticket with UA, and was actually flying them too (and taking the miles on US). Once again, I got to enjoy Economy Plus, even with such a late evening flight (10:35PM departure, 11:45PM arrival). The whole attitude of the FA's and the service is refreshing. US really needs to take a look at what their marketing partner does. I really think that on non-transcons/non-meal flights, I like E+ better than US First.

Anyway, a good roach day all-around. Now it's off to bed and a day of shopping in Vegas before Comdex on Monday.

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.