United, US Airways start sharing fliers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2003, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
United, US Airways start sharing fliers

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...7-alliance.htm

Some interesting highlights:

Starting March 1, United and US Airways elite fliers will receive priority boarding and other benefits on the other carrier.

Starting April 1, frequent fliers will be able to redeem award travel on either carrier.
Old Jan 7, 2003, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Does this mean that 100,000,000 United 1Kers are going to be getting our upgrades?
Old Jan 7, 2003, 8:07 am
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
I think it means that UA/US Elites can expect some modest reciprocal bennies with the commencement of the new Elite year.

------------------
Thank you for choosing Continental Airlines, a proud member of the SkyTeam Alliance.
Old Jan 7, 2003, 9:04 am

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030107/cgtu042_1.html

Press Release Source: United Airlines

United and US Airways Continue to Enhance Marketing Agreement
Tuesday January 7, 11:05 am ET
Route Network Expanded With Code-Share Flights Beginning Today
Elite Status and Bonus Miles Now Available to United Mileage Plus Members And US Airways Dividend Miles Members

CHICAGO, Jan. 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- United (NYSE: UAL - News) and US Airways began the next phase of their marketing partnership with code-share flights available for travel beginning today.

Through code sharing, United customers now have additional access to 14 cities in the East and Southeast. US Airways customers now are able to travel to 10 new cities in the western United States initially, including five cities currently not served by US Airways: Oakland, Calif.; Portland, Ore.; Sacramento, Calif.; Salt Lake City, Utah; and San Jose, Calif. More code-share flights will be introduced later in January and beyond.

United will continue to expand its network by placing its code on US Airways flights within the eastern U.S. and on select international flights including US Airways' expanding Caribbean route network. US Airways will add routing options and new destinations for customers whose destinations are in the western U.S., as well as international travelers headed for Asia, Europe, and Latin America.

Customers who are booked on code-share flights enjoy the economy and convenience of single-airline ticketing and one-stop check-in at the airport.

Additionally, as of Jan. 1, 2003, miles earned on US Airways flights count toward elite status in United's Mileage Plus program and United flight miles count toward preferred status in US Airways' Dividend Miles program. Also, elite members who already earn elite bonus miles in their frequent flier program of choice will now earn the same elite bonus miles when flying the other marketing partner.

-- United Mileage Plus Premier members will receive a 25 percent mileage
bonus on paid flights operated by US Airways. US Airways Silver
Preferred members will receive a 50 percent mileage bonus on paid
flights operated by United.

-- Premier Executive and Premier Executive 1K members will receive a 100
percent mileage bonus on paid flights operated by US Airways. US
Airways Gold Preferred and Chairman's Preferred members will receive a
100 percent mileage bonus on paid flights operated by United.

Future Benefits

Beginning March 1, United Mileage Plus Premier members and US Airways Dividend Miles Preferred members will have their elite status recognized when flying on either of the two carriers with the following benefits:

* Priority boarding
* Priority check-in lanes
* Priority waitlist
* Access to Preferred and Premier priority seat assignments

Also, beginning April 1, 2003, United Mileage Plus members and US Airways Dividend Miles members will be able to reserve and redeem award travel on either carrier. To redeem Mileage Plus miles on US Airways flights, customers should call United Reservations. Dividend Miles members redeeming miles on United flights should call US Airways Reservations.

Customers should check their travel documents to determine the operating carrier and terminal for their flight when traveling on itineraries utilizing both US Airways and United. They will be provided boarding passes upon check- in for each part of their journey when checking in with either airline. For questions on policies and procedures, customers should check with the originating carrier.

United operates nearly 1,800 flights a day on a route network that spans the globe. News releases and other information about United may be found at the company's Web site at www.united.com .

US Airways, the US Airways Express carriers and US Airways Shuttle offer service to 204 destinations worldwide. News releases and other information about US Airways is available online at www.usairways.com .

Information on United's flight schedules and fares is also available online at united.com, or by calling United's Reservations at 1-800-UNITED1. For more information on US Airways' flight schedules and fares, contact US Airways online at usairways.com, or contact US Airways reservations at 1-800-428-4322.

CONTACT: United Airlines, Media Relations, +1-847-700-5538, Night-Weekend, +1-847-700-4088, or US Airways, Media Relations, +1-703-872-5100, Night-Weekend, +1-703-872-5100

Source: United Airlines
Old Jan 7, 2003, 1:35 pm

What is "priority waitlist"?
Old Jan 7, 2003, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
Interesting statement on the US website re the code share:

Dividend Miles Preferred members can already earn elite level mileage bonuses for travel on flights operated by United. On Jan. 1, 2003, qualifying segments and miles flown by Dividend Miles members on United or United Express began counting towards Dividend Miles Preferred status. Beginning March 1, 2003, Preferred members gain additional privileges when traveling on United flights, including priority check-in, priority boarding and access to United Economy Plus seating. In the future, Preferred members will be able purchase upgrades to use on United flights.

(emphasis added)

Meaning, we now know that there is going to be cross airline upgrading (the website noted the UA Mileage Plus elites will also have an opportunity to purchase upgrades for trips on US). So, while some information may have suggested no upgrades on the other carrier - we may get 'em, at a price of course.

And to answer Heinrich's question, priority waitlist is the waitlist for standbys on other flights - for example, let's say the flight has two seats, and three people going for them, and two of them are elites, the elites will have priority over the non-elite - even if the non-elite is numerically higher on the waitlist. How UA and US will prioritize is a question. Hopefully UA will go 1k,then CP, and so on. Or they put their elites first (somewhere, someone has explained how CO and NW treat the others elite for upgrades and waitlist - can't recall how it was set up.

Also the priority waitlist works if your flight is cancelled, and the next flight is full. You're ahead of all non-elites even if you were the last one on the waitlist, with 10 non-elites ahead of you.

[This message has been edited by CLTFlyer (edited 01-07-2003).]
Old Jan 7, 2003, 2:14 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CLTFlyer:
Interesting statement on the US website re the code share:

Dividend Miles Preferred members can already earn elite level mileage bonuses for travel on flights operated by United. On Jan. 1, 2003, qualifying segments and miles flown by Dividend Miles members on United or United Express began counting towards Dividend Miles Preferred status. Beginning March 1, 2003, Preferred members gain additional privileges when traveling on United flights, including priority check-in, priority boarding and access to United Economy Plus seating. In the future, Preferred members will be able purchase upgrades to use on United flights.

(emphasis added)

Meaning, we now know that there is going to be cross airline upgrading (the website noted the UA Mileage Plus elites will also have an opportunity to purchase upgrades for trips on US). So, while some information may have suggested no upgrades on the other carrier - we may get 'em, at a price of course.
</font>

Great find, CLTFlyer
Old Jan 7, 2003, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
A small detail... UA Premiers cannot pre-select exit rows but ironically they will be able to on US. I suppose that it makes up for the lack of E+.

I wonder what overlap there is in elite status. Now it definitely makes sense to pick one or the other.
Old Jan 7, 2003, 6:19 pm
FOH

Programs: DL GM, UA nobody, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gnaget:
A small detail... UA Premiers cannot pre-select exit rows but ironically they will be able to on US. I suppose that it makes up for the lack of E+.</font>
While it is true that Premiers cannot reserve exit rows in advance, Premier Executives can.

Of course, any E+ seat On UA has as much or more pitch than an exit row on US.
Old Jan 7, 2003, 6:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FOH:
Of course, any E+ seat On UA has as much or more pitch than an exit row on US.</font>
I respectfully disagree.....on the few times I've flown United, I distinctly remember thinking I wish I had an exit row on US instead.
Old Jan 7, 2003, 10:54 pm
FOH

Programs: DL GM, UA nobody, Marriott Gold
I should mention that E+ seat pitch is fairly generous (35-36 inches) on B757, B763, A319, and A320 aircraft. The 737s are only 34 inches except the ex-Shuttle ones that are still all E-.

And E- is less generous than US coach. It's 31 inches versus 32 on US.

But for me, seat pitch is not a reason to request an upgrade on United transcons. (usually flown by an A319, A320, or B757)

As always, SeatGuru has the answers.

(Edited to fix UBB code)

[This message has been edited by FOH (edited 01-07-2003).]
Old Jan 7, 2003, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FOH:

And E- is less generous than US coach. It's 31 inches versus 32 on US.
As always, SeatGuru has the answers.

(Edited to fix UBB code)

[This message has been edited by FOH (edited 01-07-2003).]
</font>
I often experience those decrepit 737s... Seatguru confirms that they only have 31" pitch. US has a nasty habit of changing equipment and playing other tricks to bump me out of my exit seats: "Oh gee, sorry Sir, those seats are already taken. All we have left is 22B."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.