Wiki Posts
Search

carry-on rules?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2001, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
carry-on rules?

I know the carry-on rules have changed to one bag plus one "personal item". Did the dimensions of the main carry-on bag change? That is, is the old standard roll-along bag still permitted carry-on?
Old Nov 7, 2001, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat 2.6M, HH DIA
"Carry-On Baggage
Customers are limited to one piece of carry-on baggage plus one personal item. Pets and duty-free items are considered carry-on baggage. Personal items include a purse, briefcase, laptop computer, diaper bag, camera bag or backpack.
Carry-on baggage cannot exceed 40 pounds or exceed the following dimensions: valet -- 4" x 23 " x 45"; overhead stowage --10" x 16" x 24"; underseat stowage -- 8" x 16" x 21". All carry-on baggage must be properly stowed in the overhead bin or underneath the seat.

Customers are now being permitted to carry on nail clippers, safety razors (including disposable razors), syringes (with proper documentation), tweezers, walking canes and umbrellas.

Items that are prohibited in carry-on baggage include: cutting instruments of any size or material, corkscrews, baseball/softball bats, golf clubs, pool cues, ski poles, and hockey sticks. These items may be included in hecked baggage."

http://www.usairways.com/corporate/c...pectations.htm
Old Nov 8, 2001, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Thanks, but are the dimensions different from before 9-11?
Old Nov 8, 2001, 5:04 am

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
I read on another thread (Sorry - don't remember where) that it was 36 linear inches (width + height + depth).. for me, that will rule out my 21 inch rolling laptop case - it measures a minimum of 42 linear inches - 40 if I take off the handle on top.
Old Nov 8, 2001, 6:56 am

Programs: FL, AA, DL
As a tangentially related aside...

I was waiting for my BUF-PIT flight when an employee approached a somewhat distraught-looking young woman in the gate area, travelling alone. The woman had three items -- a large suitcase-like bag, a small backpack, and a vase of flowers.

The agent explained the '1 bag and 1 personal item' rule to the woman. The woman sounded upset but composed, and explained that she understood that, but she had something of extenuating circumstances. The gate agent (who no doubt hears this all the time) reiterated politely that she'd really need to check something, it was against FAA regulations and there might be an FAA agent checking to make sure they were adhered to.

The young woman then started to explain that she was returning from a funeral for her sister, and that she'd checked her own suitcase in as baggage but the bags she carried had all of her sister's memories in them and she wanted them close and safe. She started to go on to explain about the flowers but the gate agent interrupted with a "say no more" and moved on.

I just thought that the gate agent did a good job handling the situation. Then, I'm used to Delta's 'no waivers, no favors' policy, so it always surprises me to see people allowed to exercise common sense and compassion. (Though I still don't know how the vase of flowers fared, it seemed a bit awkward to carry aboard.)
Old Nov 8, 2001, 7:58 am

I do not know how closely they check the size of the carryon for a perfect inch match but they do enforce the one carryon and one personal item. I have not seen anybody turned away with a regular roll on. My personal item is a Hartmann leather bag that can hold a laptop (but never does anymore) but holds maps, IDs, calender, phone, etc, etc. I have also stuffed lots or papers and windbreakers in it and snacks for the kids. It used to hold my Swiss Army knife. It is my equivalent of a woman's large purse and looks very fashionable if I do say so myself. I think the rule is if you have two luggage like items they will make you check one but if one is a computer bag, briefcase or large purse or backpack (I have seen fairly big small backpacks that hold more than my normal weekend carryon) you will be OK.
Old Nov 9, 2001, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL-PM, 1MM; HH-Gold; Avis First
Nothing appears to have changed for me. I've been using my Travelpro 22" rollaboard and Tumi briefcase (with laptop inside)without any problems. This seems to be the "uniform" for male business travelers and I have yet to have them questioned as carry-ons, with both US and Southwest.

I did have the rollaboard overstuffed yesterday on my way home at Dorval. The X-ray machine had a template (appears to be same as pre-9/11) and I had trouble getting it in. The security guard just turned it upside down (top down), pushed a little and it slid right through--the base is flatter and the top compresses.

ITRADE, If your rollaboard fit in the overhead bins pre-9/11, you should be fine now, at least domestically. However, I recall that you're heading to London soon. On my recent return at Gatwick, the check-in agent insisted that I check the rollaboard citing security concerns.

Old Nov 9, 2001, 5:42 pm

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
Last year when I was burning up the skies, I always traveled w/ my 21" rolling laptop case, my flimsy nylon garment bag that rolls up like a very small bedroll, and my purse. Only twice did I have a problem - one gate agent insisted that I had three carry-on's (imagine) and not two, and must check one. I couldn't stuff the purse into either, so a very kind gentleman at the gate who only had a briefcase reached up and took my garment bag. The gate agent shrugged and that was it. I wonder if we'd be so lucky today.
Old Nov 9, 2001, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
There seems to be a lot of variability on this. My wife and I were traveling last weekend. We both had carry ons that were about 14-17x10x12. Our bags got a lot of scrutiny (3/4 segments were hand checks) and at point, one agent seemed to think they were too big. On the other side, I saw a US FF in PHL that had a fully loaded laptop bag (~12x15x15) and a 22" wheelie. No one said anything to him (was gold).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.