Search

BOS = 3 hours early?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2001, 12:01 pm
LEB
Original Poster

BOS = 3 hours early?

Anyone flown out of BOS recently?

I called to confirm a flight and the agent said that they are now wanting people to show up 3 hours early for check-in at BOS. We're flying in FC to PHL and then to FRA, and probably no bags to check. Does BOS still have a FC/DM check-in line and operational club?

Old Oct 8, 2001, 2:26 pm

Location: BOS, BED - US Gold, HHonors Gold, Starwood Preferred
Haven't flown us since 9/10/01 but flew on DL this past Friday morning bos-atl-bos and waited two hours to check in. Flew AA this morning BOS-DFW and waited an hour to check in and another 45 mins to get thru security. From what I've heard, the morning flights are the worst in terms of time in line.
Old Oct 8, 2001, 2:32 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I've been flying out of Boston, as well as Manchester. Manchester is far better. But, Boston does have the preferred lines, and they are always significantly less than the non-preferred line.

But, if a 3 hour window is what you need, then get there that early. Since the flights are almost hourly(on the :45), see if they'll put you on an earlier one.
Old Oct 8, 2001, 2:46 pm

BOS also has the "e-kiosk" machines for USAir at which you can check in if travelling on an e-ticket, and of course there is the US Club.
Old Oct 8, 2001, 3:29 pm

Flown out of bos on US a few times since 9/11. Nothing spectacular. FC line is operational. All pax funneled through a single pre-security checkpoint.

From counter to gate, it took me no more than 30 minutes. However, I showed up 2 hours early, and while waiting in the gate, noticed an increase in volume of pax in the terminal, so I imagine that 30 minutes is about the minimum.

------------------
--phil
Old Oct 8, 2001, 4:25 pm
LEB
Original Poster

Thanks for the help!
Old Oct 9, 2001, 9:06 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PHL:
I've been flying out of Boston, as well as Manchester. Manchester is far better. But, Boston does have the preferred lines, and they are always significantly less than the non-preferred line.
</font>
MHT has the preferred line as well. It's usually empty unless it's rush hour. It can be 5 or 6 deep if there is a weather problem. Generally 2 agents are working it. I've seen 3 if it gets busy and one of them is hung up with a problem child.

No real club at MHT though. Just the airport run "Granite Lounge" which is only open when you don't really want it.

Flying into or out of Boston is a very bad idea unless your business is actually in the city. And even then it's questionable. If you're doing something even slightly North of Boston use MHT. If South use Providence or Worcester.
Old Oct 9, 2001, 9:15 am

I flew in, thru, and out of BOS Terminal B several times the first couple weeks after 9/11.

Not very long lines in FC lines or security. Coach check-in for US Airways seemed long.

In fact, one time I arrived 3 hrs early and the agents put me on a flight that left one hour earlier than my scheduled flight.

BOS was relatively uncrowded and quiet, making for easy traveling.
Old Oct 9, 2001, 9:49 am
LEB
Original Poster

I agree that flying out of MHT would be much better, especially since I live north of it. Originally we were flying out of BOS on a SwissAir award ticket. When they stopped flying last week I called US and they rescheduled us onto US metal instead. I should have also switched to MHT at the time. Last night I checked and all of the MHT flights I could take are completely sold out.

The "Granite Lounge" is a bit of an anomaly isn't it?
Old Oct 9, 2001, 11:51 am

Granite is the traditional rock in New Hampshire. It gave New Hampshire its nickname of The Granite State. New Hampshire once had a large industry surrounding the quarrying of granite. Granite is hereby designated as the official state rock of New Hampshire.

see: http://www.state.nh.us/nhinfo/rock.html
Old Oct 9, 2001, 11:52 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LEB:
Last night I checked and all of the MHT flights I could take are completely sold out.
</font>
MHT & "sold out" is redundant.

I can't figure out why US doesn't run more flights to MHT. It is always packed. I often find myself coming in from the left coast & connecting to the late flight. If I get in early and try to standby on the earlier flights it's almost hopeless -- and I'm a CP!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
The "Granite Lounge" is a bit of an anomaly isn't it?
</font>
It would be nicer if it was inside security and opened early enough in the morning to be used for a 5:45am flight and stayed open later at night so that a weather delay on a 5pm flight is covered... I like having a quite place to sit and relax when there are delays or if I just happen to show up 3 hours early. But to have to clear security again is no small matter these days.
Old Oct 10, 2001, 11:42 am

3 Hours Early for BOS? Does that REALLY mean that I should get to the airport at 3:30 am for a 6:30 flight? Or, what is a reasonable time to get there for a 6:30am flight? My cousin is flying out of BOS on Monday morning, and I need to know when I should take her to the airport.
Old Oct 10, 2001, 12:49 pm

I flew out of BOS this morning (Wed). Arrived at 5:45 for a 7:35 Charlotte. No wait in 1st, regular folks looked like they had 45min-1hr wait. Longest wait was for security (looked like 15-20min) but I went over to shuttle line and was thru in 5min. Ended up with 45min in Club.
Old Oct 10, 2001, 9:18 pm

Good point - you can go through security by the shuttle gates (gates 15-21) and then make a sharp right turn (u-turn) and walk back to the rest of the USAir gates in the connecting hallway (gates 4-14) - avoiding the much longer secuirty line at the main entrance to the USAir gate 4-14 concourse. And if you have an e-ticket, use the machine!!!
Old Oct 11, 2001, 1:44 pm

Thanks for the tip on the US Airways Shuttle gates (15+) security. I was under the impression that the Shuttle gates had a separate security with no access to the regular gates, like the MetroJet gates (number 1-3) which is a true zoo. But I haven't been to BOS US terminal since the new Shuttle terminal opened; I heard that they closed gates 1-3 (thank god!!) and moved MetroJet to the main concourse, and moved some mainline gates to the Shuttle concourse? True. If so, good riddance to gates 1-3. They were blocked in with no facilities of any type (food, telephones, restrooms, etc.) and had only one x-ray machine, so getting in there was a huge pain, and waits at security to variable to risk spending time at the club.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.