Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just turned Silver! Suggestions please..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2000, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Just turned Silver! Suggestions please..

I made it to Silver (my first preferred on any airline).. For most of you that is probably long forgotten story.. But any suggestions on using my 'benefits' in the best way..

Thanks..
Old Dec 22, 2000, 6:40 am

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Congratulations on Silver--your first step to big and better things! Some ideas for your benefits--- Save your system wide for overseas travelAnything on the Airbus in Envoy! If you can use them to go to RomeIts a great trip. You will really enjoy using the Preferred check in line when the regular check in line is wrapped around 5 times in PIT or CLT!!!Purchase upgrade couponsyou can purchase 4 upgrade coupons (800 miles segments) for $120.

Old Dec 22, 2000, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

miles_kay welcome to FT. I think the best benefit of being silver on US is the System Wide Upgrades. The SWUs will upgrade you 1 class of service on any published fare. Most of us FT'ers will suggest in saving them for a trip to Europe (where you can fly in Envoy over the Atlantic).
Old Dec 22, 2000, 12:44 pm

I just made Silver on US thanks to the Silver Challenge and a new vendor in FLL.

My status showed on the website as of the 18th. When can I expect my kit, including UGs? Is the UG good both directions on an r/t?

Thanks.
Old Dec 22, 2000, 12:59 pm
dg1

RMI: The place I've seen the worst regular check in lines is almost always LGA. That's where it pays to be Preferred or a club member!

Old Dec 22, 2000, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally posted by Mikey likes it:
When can I expect my kit, including UGs? Is the UG good both directions on an r/t?
It is up in the air as to when you will receive the kit. There has been discussion that since you achieved status so late in the year, US will hold off until 2001 to mail the kits. The typical response is "4-6 weeks."

There are 2 types of upgrades. The SWUs are used on any published fare and can be confirmed at the time of purchase (one for each way). And the 800 mile certificates which you can clear the day before your flight as a US Silver.
Old Dec 22, 2000, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Silver new qualifier in Canada got her kit 1st week of December after 14th Nov. qualifying kit. I've heard that Canadians get their kits faster than U.S. members.
Old Dec 23, 2000, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions... I sure hope that I can use these pointers in the best way..

One more question.. Does the Silver qualifying flight count towards the bonus miles??? (under the 10 segment/6250 miles Silver promo)

Thanks again..
Old Dec 23, 2000, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
The qualifying flight does not earn the bonus as my friend and other qualifiers under that promotion found out. At least you have the upgrades and status for the nex year and a bit though. The queston is when your upgrade miles start. With the first flight after you qualify?
Old Dec 24, 2000, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally posted by terenz:
The qualifying flight does not earn the bonus as my friend and other qualifiers under that promotion found out. At least you have the upgrades and status for the nex year and a bit though. The queston is when your upgrade miles start. With the first flight after you qualify?
I did recieve the upgrade miles on a mileage run after my qualifying flight but no benefits as my silver status did not show up in the airport reservation system..But it did show up on usairways.com as silver preferred before the flight.. I wonder how these systems are linked??

Old Dec 24, 2000, 9:00 pm

Once you have your upgrade certs in hand(North American), be sure to call the silver preferred 1-800 number at 12:01AM Eastern time the the day before your trip.

If you travel on business and don't stay over saturday nights on an unrestricted full fare tix(usually Y or B class), you can upgrade ANY time, so do it as soon as you're ticketed. This has worked nicely for PHL-LAX trips weeks in advance - especially those red-eyes home!

Take full advantage of those preferred check-in lines!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.