I am going for the full 36 hits.

Currently Status:
1 Credit Card
4 hotel stays
4 Rental Cars
7 Hotel Transfers
21 Other Hits

Some of the other hits post reliably like buy/share miles, dining, emiles, etc

However, there are some potential foul balls that I have done like Office max after October 3rd, Audience Rewards trivia (potential technicality), and slow posters like the toolbar and Network Solutions.

I currently have 1 safety hit. Last year I did one safety hit, and ending up having all of my hits come through. Should I plan on doing more than one safety hit this year?

Thoughts.

(Please move if there are other posts like this. Didn't see any that directly addressed this topic.)
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I read this post last night before I went to sleep. Then I dreamed that I received an envelope from US Airways containing six small pieces of paper, each detailing six foul-ball attempted hits!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I'm doing one safety hit. Based on my history, which required two safety hits last year, that might not be enough, but I think I've cleaned up some of the kinks.

Mike
Old Oct 27, 2011, 6:20 pm

The toolbar is pretty reliable, it just posts once a month in the first week. Definitely get it in before the end of this month, just in case. You can still do it in November if it doesn't work out, just earn the first mile before the end of the Grand Slam.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: US Gold, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
"We can hit if we want to,
we can leave Grand Slam behind,
Cause your friends don't hit and if they don't hit,
well they leave those miles behind.
I say we can fly where we want to,
a place *A will always fly,
and we can act like we own the world,
flew for free and left money behind...and we can hit"

"The Safety Hit" lamely by tovaz

and 2 safety hits for me!
Old Oct 28, 2011, 4:42 pm

How come these safety hits are necessary?

Don't we know what qualifies as a hit or not? If something posts after 14 Nov don't we just complain to US Airways? Or is there something more than that.

The hits are kind of expensive, so I wasn't really wanting to do even 1 safety hit.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by mabramovich

Don't we know what qualifies as a hit or not? If something posts after 14 Nov don't we just complain to US Airways? Or is there something more than that.

The hits are kind of expensive, so I wasn't really wanting to do even 1 safety hit.
I'm with you.

I did my best to buy and make hits happen, so I'll fight for all of them.

However I can see why people would do at least 1-2 safety hits. There is some uncertainty about specific hits. I personally have one hit that's up in the air for a few weeks at least, and another that posted even though my order was canceled. So I'm playing with fire to assume that one hit won't be recalled. Some might see another $20 as insurance against something like this, and having to spend time navigating with US air and partners.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager

It's okay if something posts after November 14th. The key is that the transaction date is prior to November 15th.

"US Airways will track hits and award bonus miles beginning September 28, 2011, and continue to post miles every other week until March 28, 2012. This is to
ensure sufficient time for all partner activity to be recorded by US Airways."
Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Safety hits may be worth it as you never know the rules to these promotions. What works today doesn't tommorrow, miles granted can change at will and the rules are all arbitrary. If you doubt this I dare you to participate in United's Months of Misery promotion. Even if you were sent an email inviting you to participate, that did not mean you could. Even if a vendor accepted the purchase of gift cards as a "hit" in their terms and conditions that didn't mean they would. And even if you could participate, that didn't mean your should since the rules of the promotion were changed more times than a baby fed pureed prunes.

To date my ball team has dozens of hits awaiting confirmation. Do I trust all legitimate hits will end up on the scoreboard? Not a chance!

Originally Posted by Michael El
It's okay if something posts after November 14th. The key is that the transaction date is prior to November 15th.

"US Airways will track hits and award bonus miles beginning September 28, 2011, and continue to post miles every other week until March 28, 2012. This is to
ensure sufficient time for all partner activity to be recorded by US Airways."
Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT

I am with you.

I have 32 hits posted and got bonus. Waiting for net sol, netflix, tool bar, debit card. I didn't face any issues with any hits, They all posted timely.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 4:34 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Part of the safety hit discussion is a result of how confident you are that some of the uncertain or unreliable partners' miles will properly post. For this year that would be Netsol and Office Max. Last year it was DMWireless. Based on what I'd read here on FT last year I had no safety hits, trusting that these "problem children" would come through in the end. Here are my last two hits from last year:

10/7/2010 12/02/10 DIVIDEND MILES WIRELESS MISC. BONUS 15

11/3/2010 12/15/10 CONVERSION: CHOICE CLUB PLUS REDEMPTION 1,000

11/3/2010 12/15/10 ADJUSTMENT CHOICE PRIVILEGES MILEAGE AWARDS

12/27/2010 12/27/10 GRAND SLAM MULTI PARTNER BONUS - 36 HITS 20,000

Notice DMWireless had an activity date of early October and did not post until December. And Choice showed up as a hotel stay (I had six other stays at Hilton family properties) so when I did not get my 36th hit I called DM customer service and they converted the points from stay points to conversion points.

When the GS closed on 11/14 last year I (Ob: Indiana Jones and the Holy Grail) took the leap of faith that these hits would eventually post, and they did. Others may not be so confident. And as you can see, I did not get my last 20,000 miles until December 27. Not that I wasn't breathing hard (like Indy) until then.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Safety hits may be worth it as you never know the rules to these promotions. What works today doesn't tommorrow, miles granted can change at will and the rules are all arbitrary. If you doubt this I dare you to participate in United's Months of Misery promotion. Even if you were sent an email inviting you to participate, that did not mean you could. Even if a vendor accepted the purchase of gift cards as a "hit" in their terms and conditions that didn't mean they would. And even if you could participate, that didn't mean your should since the rules of the promotion were changed more times than a baby fed pureed prunes.

To date my ball team has dozens of hits awaiting confirmation. Do I trust all legitimate hits will end up on the scoreboard? Not a chance!
Not to get off track but UA Months of Miles isn't a misery for all of us. Every single item I have purchased and every single restaurant dine, has posted for me. But then I did not buy hundreds of $10 gift certs or Cokes. I did receive the original invite e-mail, so I have no worries that I will get the bonus miles that were promised.

Re: The topic of safety hits, I have 36 but feel a few could be shaky (BofA debit card, 21st Century Insurance quote, toolbar download). Originally I planned some backup hits, but not so sure now as they would cost me $45-$55 each. Might just sit back, wait and not cry if I up with 80K instead of 100K miles in the end. Murphy's law if I spend the extra $ I won't need backup hits, if I don't I will.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 7:35 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Continental, US Airways, HHonors, Priority Club, Marriott
I am only doing one safety hit and that's only if Network Solutions doesn't post my points on November 7th. Otherwise, I am golden.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 8:04 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by belgirl
I am only doing one safety hit and that's only if Network Solutions doesn't post my points on November 7th. Otherwise, I am golden.
+1, same here for my and my wife's accounts. I have the Share Miles still unused, so that will be the (instant) backup hit if NetSol doesn't post on both accounts.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:57 pm

Do I have GS paranoia?

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere - I tried searching and couldn't find a discussion on it.

I am finalizing plans to get to exactly 32 hits, but started to get concerned: should I consider getting an "extra" hit to be sure that I hit the 32? I HATE to "waste" a hit and can't see myself spending the money that would be required to get me the other 3 hits to make it to 36.

Thus far, everything has posted for me except:
- debit card purchase -- but, thanks to discussion in another thread -- I think I was able to clear up the "new US Air account opened by B of A issue and have charged some things that should post to the proper account over the past 4 days
- Net Sol - discussed extensively in another thread, so just waiting for my points to post early next month
- a couple of car rentals/hotels that haven't had time to post

My OfficeMax purchase has even posted!

For now, I am planning to shut it all down after a $30 all-in car rental next Saturday, which should get me to exactly 32, but -- as a newbie -- I would love to get input from more experienced "hitters"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.