FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How many safety hits?
View Single Post
Old Oct 29, 2011, 7:30 am
Steph58

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Safety hits may be worth it as you never know the rules to these promotions. What works today doesn't tommorrow, miles granted can change at will and the rules are all arbitrary. If you doubt this I dare you to participate in United's Months of Misery promotion. Even if you were sent an email inviting you to participate, that did not mean you could. Even if a vendor accepted the purchase of gift cards as a "hit" in their terms and conditions that didn't mean they would. And even if you could participate, that didn't mean your should since the rules of the promotion were changed more times than a baby fed pureed prunes.

To date my ball team has dozens of hits awaiting confirmation. Do I trust all legitimate hits will end up on the scoreboard? Not a chance!
Not to get off track but UA Months of Miles isn't a misery for all of us. Every single item I have purchased and every single restaurant dine, has posted for me. But then I did not buy hundreds of $10 gift certs or Cokes. I did receive the original invite e-mail, so I have no worries that I will get the bonus miles that were promised.

Re: The topic of safety hits, I have 36 but feel a few could be shaky (BofA debit card, 21st Century Insurance quote, toolbar download). Originally I planned some backup hits, but not so sure now as they would cost me $45-$55 each. Might just sit back, wait and not cry if I up with 80K instead of 100K miles in the end. Murphy's law if I spend the extra $ I won't need backup hits, if I don't I will.