Wiki Posts
Search

Wine Insiders

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Silver; WN A-List; Marriott Plat Premier
Wine Insiders

With some trepidation that I will be flamed for starting a new thread, here goes for Wine Insider. This is my first year in this program and I must say I find it very difficult to follow. One would think that if this were a profitable program for USAir that they would set it up to entice more folks to participate. I have numerous times thrown my hands up in confusion and bewilderment of how to earn hits and confirm them once I do. How about asking partners to put up a special page for the GS Promotion? How about using coupon codes that every site on the internet is configured to use? How about a dashboard page showing your status of hits? Then I turn to Flyertalk and I have to search and search to find a post nested away in a forum that combines 14 different topics. --- okay .... rant over---

So I've posted below what has been summarized on the "other partner" thread here. I have seen folks post that they used Wine Insiders last year. I have found posts from folks who have purchased this year. When I go to the site, I can find nowhere to input my DM # as the quote below warns.

Wine Insiders***

Earn 1000 miles plus 4 miles/dollar for 12-bottle sampler ($83.88+tax). Wine club monthly memberships require 6-month subscription, although there does not appear to be a means of entering your DM number when buying a wine club membership (or any other merchandise aside from the sampler). Beware.
      Old Sep 23, 2011, 6:31 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
      If you select the 12-bottle sampler it definitely asks for your DM number. A single order for this sampler earns the hit - no need to subscribe.

Originally Posted by Diamondback
      With some trepidation that I will be flamed for starting a new thread, here goes for Wine Insider. This is my first year in this program and I must say I find it very difficult to follow. One would think that if this were a profitable program for USAir that they would set it up to entice more folks to participate. I have numerous times thrown my hands up in confusion and bewilderment of how to earn hits and confirm them once I do. How about asking partners to put up a special page for the GS Promotion? How about using coupon codes that every site on the internet is configured to use? How about a dashboard page showing your status of hits? Then I turn to Flyertalk and I have to search and search to find a post nested away in a forum that combines 14 different topics. --- okay .... rant over---

So I've posted below what has been summarized on the "other partner" thread here. I have seen folks post that they used Wine Insiders last year. I have found posts from folks who have purchased this year. When I go to the site, I can find nowhere to input my DM # as the quote below warns.
          Old Sep 23, 2011, 7:35 am

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
          Originally Posted by kochleffel
          If you select the 12-bottle sampler it definitely asks for your DM number. A single order for this sampler earns the hit - no need to subscribe.
          The confusion stems from the fact that the Wine Insiders are listed as subscription partners. I know that there is a similar problem with trackitback, but in that case it is an obvious mistake, since there is no subscription option available by the vendor!

Could anyone report if he/she got the hit?? It is quite pricy to risk it..

Thanx in advance!!!
          Old Sep 23, 2011, 9:28 am
          Original Poster

Originally Posted by kochleffel
          Hmmm....well this is where I'm confused then. I went through the checkout process up to the screen where you enter your credit card and click Place Order (your credit card will be charged) button. There is a promotional code and coupon field but I don't see where to enter DM#. Where am I missing this?
          Old Sep 23, 2011, 9:46 am
          FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
          Hmmm....well this is where I'm confused then. I went through the checkout process up to the screen where you enter your credit card and click Place Order (your credit card will be charged) button. There is a promotional code and coupon field but I don't see where to enter DM#. Where am I missing this?
          I think it's on the very first page.

Mike
          Old Sep 23, 2011, 3:32 pm
          A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
          I think we've determined that you almost *have* to buy the sampler to be sure you're getting miles and the hit. I went through thinking maybe I'll buy one bottle of wine and add my DM# but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

That said, a mixed case for $90...as long as there are about 4 good bottles in there I'll consider it a roughly free hit.

Overall I thought the sampler purchase process was well-designed: the DM number stays visible and they clearly explain the part about what states they ship to.

It's sort of funny: I live in Kansas, a no-no state. For wine shipments, I always use an address in Missouri, a allowable state - knowing full well that no one is ever at that address during the day. So the instant UPS attempts and fails to deliver, I go online and get the wine held at their distribution center for pickup.

The distribution center is...wait for it...in Kansas, 10 minutes from home. I go there, show ID, pick up my wine. I wish I could just skip the Missouri charade to begin with but alas, the backwards Kansas liquor lobby isn't going to let that happen.
          Old Sep 23, 2011, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
          Originally Posted by pinniped
          but alas, the backwards Kansas liquor lobby isn't going to let that happen.
          Here I thought no one in Kansas drank.....
          Old Sep 23, 2011, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
          I think we've determined that you almost *have* to buy the sampler to be sure you're getting miles and the hit. I went through thinking maybe I'll buy one bottle of wine and add my DM# but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

That said, a mixed case for $90...as long as there are about 4 good bottles in there I'll consider it a roughly free hit.

Overall I thought the sampler purchase process was well-designed: the DM number stays visible and they clearly explain the part about what states they ship to.

It's sort of funny: I live in Kansas, a no-no state. For wine shipments, I always use an address in Missouri, a allowable state - knowing full well that no one is ever at that address during the day. So the instant UPS attempts and fails to deliver, I go online and get the wine held at their distribution center for pickup.

The distribution center is...wait for it...in Kansas, 10 minutes from home. I go there, show ID, pick up my wine. I wish I could just skip the Missouri charade to begin with but alas, the backwards Kansas liquor lobby isn't going to let that happen.
          I believe if you call UPS with a tracking number (assuming you can get this from th vendor), they can hold it for you at UPS distribution center for pickup witout having to use an address you are not sure of.
          Old Sep 23, 2011, 9:16 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
          Originally Posted by TorontoSingh
          I believe if you call UPS with a tracking number (assuming you can get this from th vendor), they can hold it for you at UPS distribution center for pickup witout having to use an address you are not sure of.
          that would be incorrect
          Old Sep 23, 2011, 9:57 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
          Originally Posted by TorontoSingh
          Originally Posted by mrredskin
          that would be incorrect
          Except that I've done this in the past with items shipped to my valid address. I was going to be away for the day of scheduled delivery (normally work form home) and didn't want the package left at the door of my home. I was able to redirect it on the website without calling as a matter of fact. Picked it up at UPS that evening.
          Old Sep 24, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
          I placed an order for the red sampler on Sept 16th and got an email confirmation of my order but my AMEX still hasn't been charged. I'm starting to worry. I guess I'll call them Monday.
          Old Sep 25, 2011, 2:45 pm
          Original Poster

Okay. I finally figured out where I was going wrong. You cannot just go to the Wine Insiders direct URL. There is a specific US Airways DM offer page. You can get to the page from the link on this DM page:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...les/gifts.html
          Old Sep 25, 2011, 3:21 pm

Okay. I finally figured out where I was going wrong. You cannot just go to the Wine Insiders direct URL. There is a specific US Airways DM offer page. You can get to the page from the link on this DM page:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...les/gifts.html
          Correct. As noted 4 weeks ago in post #1 of the Other Partners thread, along with links to all the (wait for it) other partners.
          Old Sep 25, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
          Originally Posted by beltway
          Correct. As noted 4 weeks ago in post #1 of the Other Partners thread, along with links to all the (wait for it) other partners.
          ^
          LOL!
          Old Sep 25, 2011, 6:05 pm
          Original Poster

Originally Posted by beltway
          Well, beltway, I'm glad you love to attack other Flyertalker members who just come here for a little help. I read through that post many times. I even posted the specific post about wine insiders. I think you prove my point in that I had to read through a pretty long post when all I was interested in at the time was the wine insdier deal. I standby my original comment that this would be a lot easier for folks if each partner had a thread with detailed instructions, questions, special deals, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.