Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is now the time to sign up for the US Air CC?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: Mega Bus Plaid; Southwest Airlines Ruby and Bates Motel Platinum
Based on those with BofA prior US debit card experiences, is it too late to apply for the card, receive the card, use the card and have the miles post by November 14th?

If not, I factor in the cost of the hit (possibly a 2nd for next year) as the $30 plus about another $10 for spends at the 6 month point and then again next GS period (assuming its allowed for a hit in GS12).
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:16 am

If you already have a checking account with B of A, it shouldn't be a problem. I can't remember exactly but my debit card arrived within 7 to 8 business day. Once received, i immediately used it for snack at McDonalds.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by muflyer
If not, I factor in the cost of the hit (possibly a 2nd for next year) as the $30 plus about another $10 for spends at the 6 month point and then again next GS period (assuming its allowed for a hit in GS12).
I thought the 6-month rule is only for the credit card ...

That said, I think I'm going to keep my US Air MC open, despite the $89 fee. I don't know if it's churnable for the bonus, but 10,000 miles every year for $89 is a pretty good deal.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
That said, I think I'm going to keep my US Air MC open, despite the $89 fee. I don't know if it's churnable for the bonus, but 10,000 miles every year for $89 is a pretty good deal.
There is discussion of both issues -- churnability and value of keeping the card -- in two somewhat duplicative threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...5k-benies.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...-000-easy.html
Old Oct 4, 2011, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just applied and got approved. Tiny credit line, but that seems to be the way it is for me these days. It's fine because it's enough for the one charge I'll need on it. I hate to say it, but I'll likely never use it after that, or if I do need to use it once every six months, just the bare minimum.

I didn't realize I get a discount on redeeming miles if I have the card also. That's pretty sweet. They say it takes 5,000 miles off a 25,000 mile reward redemption. Even if it just takes 5,000 miles off a 100,000 mile reward redemption also, that, plus the 10,000 miles annual bonus, will make this card easily worth the $89 annual fee.

Now I just hope my statement closes soon enough to get me in under the wire for the Grand Slam.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
I didn't realize I get a discount on redeeming miles if I have the card also. That's pretty sweet. They say it takes 5,000 miles off a 25,000 mile reward redemption.
They say it, and it's true. Officially, the discount applies only to awards entirely on US metal, although at least one person claims to have received the discount on a partner award. YMMV.

Back on topic: does anyone think we need two separate threads dealing with the US CC/debit card hits (as we now have)?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beltway
Back on topic: does anyone think we need two separate threads dealing with the US CC/debit card hits (as we now have)?
Probably safe to combine as the time to apply is quickly closing. "The 5 Credit Card Hits" is the more appealing surviving thread title.

Thanks for all you are doing.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by josephstern
Just applied and got approved. Tiny credit line, but that seems to be the way it is for me these days. It's fine because it's enough for the one charge I'll need on it. I hate to say it, but I'll likely never use it after that, or if I do need to use it once every six months, just the bare minimum.

I didn't realize I get a discount on redeeming miles if I have the card also. That's pretty sweet. They say it takes 5,000 miles off a 25,000 mile reward redemption. Even if it just takes 5,000 miles off a 100,000 mile reward redemption also, that, plus the 10,000 miles annual bonus, will make this card easily worth the $89 annual fee.

Now I just hope my statement closes soon enough to get me in under the wire for the Grand Slam.
I also got a tiny credit line - I think it's Barclay's M.O. Frankly, this is not going to be an everyday card for me either, so no biggie.

Also, the 5K miles discount is only for US Airways awards, not for *A awards. Although it's still a great deal, as with the mileage sales, you can get a domestic Y award for under $300, which is great if awards are available and paid tix are much more.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: SQ
I just got billed the $30 for the debit card....hasn't posted to US and no sign of the 3000 miles. Anyone have it post yet?

I've also had the CC for a few weeks and the website doesn't show a payment due date for the first statement. Am I going to get an email after it's been one month, or do I need to call them?
I've met the spending requirements for both of them
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
I just got billed the $30 for the debit card....hasn't posted to US and no sign of the 3000 miles. Anyone have it post yet?
I had my first checking statement as US debit holder close 9/27, fee for the card was deducted today 10/4. From the other posts I have read the miles from usage should post sometime today.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the 5K discount, and the 10K renewal miles for $89, that's basically a transcon every two years for $178. That's not too bad, and doesn't even take into account the signup miles (40K) and the Grand Slam hit for this year, and hopefully more going forward (up to 5K value for each of those).

So now I'm trying to convince myself NOT to sign up for my wife also.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Couldn't help myself. My wife is getting a card also. Even smaller credit limit, though.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 4:48 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Applied for this card 9/23, got a message that I'd receive an answer within ten days, checked online at Barclay's today (I already have a Barclay's Choice Visa), and there was a message telling me I could activate my card--which hasn't arrived in the mail yet.

This does look like a promising card. Annual bonus and a 5000-mile redemption on any award on US metal are good benefits. I have the AA cards as well and their reduced mileage awards are 17.5K apiece but with a limited and seasonally changing set of destinations.

Now, to get the card activated so I can get my hit!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:42 pm

So do y'all think it's too late to get the US CC now? I'm assuming so. BUT what if I change the billing cycle to the earliest possible?

Is there even any hope? Yea or nay?

Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's my timeline:

10/4 - Applied for card
10/13 - Received card and used it
10/15 - US WORLD CARD: FIRST USE BONUS and US WORLD CARD: EVERYDAY PURCHASES both posted to my US Airways DM account

So, amazingly, 11 days from application, I had the miles.

In short, you should have plenty of time. I can't really tell, but I feel like they purposely close the first statement right away so you can get the bonus fast.

Moreover, I did one of these for myself and one for my wife, and each followed the exact same timeline. I'm not sure if we got lucky on the statement end dates or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.