Is now the time to sign up for the US Air CC?

Old Aug 29, 11, 7:31 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
Is now the time to sign up for the US Air CC?

What say ye?
L.Jenkins is offline  
Old Aug 29, 11, 7:32 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Home Airports: CAE/CLT
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Posts: 5,437
Originally Posted by L.Jenkins View Post
What say ye?
Aye.
Gamecock is offline  
Old Aug 29, 11, 8:11 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 426
maybe
ramblers63 is offline  
Old Aug 29, 11, 8:25 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,335
The hits are for the use of the card, not the application/activation. I am personally in the process of getting the BofA checking account setup so the debit card will be active during the first weeks of the promotion. That is turning into a stereotypical delay filled mess.
Exiled in Express is offline  
Old Aug 29, 11, 9:16 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Programs: United Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 184
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express View Post
The hits are for the use of the card, not the application/activation. I am personally in the process of getting the BofA checking account setup so the debit card will be active during the first weeks of the promotion. That is turning into a stereotypical delay filled mess.
Just a datapoint from last year. It took me 2 months for the debit account to post. BOA always post on the 1st of each month. There are 2-3 business days for posting to US Air. It all depends on how your account is set.

Some dates from last year. Signed for BOA Debit in Sep. Did transaction immediately. My miles did not post on Oct 1st because my account was not setup correctly. I called 3 times in Oct, before they confirmed my posting will be posting OK for Nov.

When this activity posts, it does not post back dated. It posts as Nov 1st or Oct 1st of the month it posts to US Air. If you are on sidelines, I would say move today for a Oct posting.
monkey99 is offline  
Old Aug 29, 11, 11:29 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 660
Does BoA do a hard pull for new checking accounts? I have no BoA cards or accounts but I'd sign up for the debit card but not if it requires a hard pull.
drbobguy is offline  
Old Aug 29, 11, 5:41 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 253
Does anyone know when how soon the credit card posts?
I know the debit card, the hit is for charges in the previous month, so oct 31 is the deadline for a debit card hit.

But for the credit card, does your statement close date effect when the hit posts to us airways?
flyerfrog is offline  
Old Aug 29, 11, 5:43 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by drbobguy View Post
Does BoA do a hard pull for new checking accounts? I have no BoA cards or accounts but I'd sign up for the debit card but not if it requires a hard pull.
No, you shouldn't receive a hard pull for a checking account since you're not applying for credit.
flyerfrog is offline  
Old Aug 29, 11, 8:18 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 660
Originally Posted by flyerfrog View Post
No, you shouldn't receive a hard pull for a checking account since you're not applying for credit.
Hmm, well according to the below link it seems like some people get a hard pull, others do not:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/931709/

I've never had any dealings with Bank of America, but from what I see a checking account is free if you only use ATM's and online statements/e-banking, and there's no minimum. The US Airways debit card is $30 but gives you 3000 miles after first use, so it's slightly better than free (since you can buy miles at 1.5 cents/mile).

Sounds like a winner to me! Would love to hear some personal stories about whether there's a hard pull or not.
drbobguy is offline  
Old Aug 29, 11, 8:29 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 316
Just got my BOA debit/visa card

As of yet no credit pull, sometimes they post later on. If there is a hard pull I'll let you guys know. I'm guessing no hard pull for the debit card, been keeping an eye on my credit pulls since I applied.
rookie10 is offline  
Old Aug 29, 11, 8:31 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 660
Originally Posted by rookie10 View Post
As of yet no credit pull, sometimes they post later on. If there is a hard pull I'll let you guys know. I'm guessing no hard pull for the debit card, been keeping an eye on my credit pulls since I applied.
Just out of curiosity did you already have a BOA credit card? From reading just now it seems they've run promos in the past to get CC users to open checking account, and those never resulted in a hard pull. It could be if you're entirely new to BOA they will do a hard pull for a checking account, but if you already have a credit line with them they won't.
drbobguy is offline  
Old Aug 29, 11, 8:50 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 316
Originally Posted by drbobguy View Post
Just out of curiosity did you already have a BOA credit card? From reading just now it seems they've run promos in the past to get CC users to open checking account, and those never resulted in a hard pull. It could be if you're entirely new to BOA they will do a hard pull for a checking account, but if you already have a credit line with them they won't.
Already had an existing checking account with them. Just needed to link my account to the new debit/visa card. In the past I did have a Us Air Visa card, but they sold it over to Barclays which I cancelled shortly after. Hope this helps.
rookie10 is offline  
Old Aug 30, 11, 2:05 am
  #13  
swy
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Posts: 691
But why not the Barclays CC with 40,000 miles?
swy is offline  
Old Aug 30, 11, 5:41 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ATL/LAX
Posts: 4,867
Originally Posted by rookie10 View Post
Already had an existing checking account with them. Just needed to link my account to the new debit/visa card. In the past I did have a Us Air Visa card, but they sold it over to Barclays which I cancelled shortly after. Hope this helps.
Does the debit card still have the $30 annual fee/3000 mile bonus? If so, that's actually not too bad for a hit. How long did it take to receive the card if already an existing account holder?

And you shouldn't have a credit pull since it's a debit card, but good to keep an eye on it in case.
amolkold is offline  
Old Aug 30, 11, 7:02 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 316
Originally Posted by amolkold View Post
Does the debit card still have the $30 annual fee/3000 mile bonus? If so, that's actually not too bad for a hit. How long did it take to receive the card if already an existing account holder?

And you shouldn't have a credit pull since it's a debit card, but good to keep an eye on it in case.
Yes, 30.00 annual fee plus 3000.00 bonus miles. Took 7 days from application date to my door.
rookie10 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread