Grand Slam 2011 FAQ is up

Old Aug 21, 11, 2:39 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 253
Grand Slam 2011 FAQ is up

http://shopping.usairways.com/en-US/...dslamfaqs.html

Here is the text:


Grand Slam 2011 answers
.
I had partner activity before I registered, does it count?
No, only activity after registration counts. No exceptions.
.
ˆBack to top
.
Do my flights with US Airways or another airline (like United) count as a hit?
No, flight activity on US Airways and our airline partners is not included on this promotion.
.
ˆBack to top
.
Why do you need my email address?
Your email address is required in order to register for this promotion. We’ll automatically subscribe you to e-Statement, Earn More Miles and US Airways Cruises email. You may unsubscribe, but if you unsubscribe, we’ll be unable to send you updates while the promotion is running.
.
ˆBack to top
.
What is the Eligible Activity Date?
The Eligible Activity Date is the date the partner records their mileage transaction with you. In order to qualify for this promotion, all eligible activity must be completed by November 14, 2011. Partners use different criteria to determine activity date, so it’s important to complete your partner activity with this in mind. When in doubt, please verify with the partner. Activity date is usually defined as a credit card statement closing date, a hotel check-in or check-out, pick-up or return for car rentals, a delivery date for FTD and service completion (loan closing) for service providers or utilities.
.
ˆBack to top
.
Do I get bonus miles each time I earn a hit? What if I earn a number of hits that aren’t shown on the award chart (for example, 6 or 7 hits)?
Bonus miles are cumulative and based on the total number of hits. For example, if you earn four hits you get a total of 3,000 bonus miles. If you get 8 hits you get another 7,000 bonus miles for a total of 10,000 bonus miles. Bonus miles are only awarded in four hit increments. So, if you earn seven total hits, your total bonus mileage will be 3,000 bonus miles (that you earned after four hits). Earning one more hit (eight hits total) will get you 7,000 more bonus miles, bringing you to the 10,000 bonus mile level.
.
ˆBack to top
.
How do I earn hits with my credit or debit card?
You earn one hit for one spend with each US Airways credit or debit card partner during the promotional period (date you register through November 14, 2011). The miles can come from first use or your daily spending. Remember that credit and debit card miles post based on your statement closing date, not on the date you sign-up for a new card or use your card.
.
ˆBack to top
.
I have two US Airways MasterCard credit cards (or two US Airways Visa cards). Can I earn two hits on both cards?
No. You can only earn one hit per card type, regardless of the number of cards you have. There are five card types: US Airways MasterCard, US Airways Business MasterCard, US Airways Visa, US Airways Visa Business Card, and US Airways Visa Debit Card.
.
ˆBack to top
.
How can I earn hits for hotel transfers?
You can transfer your hotel points into Dividend Miles at the hotel’s program website or visit usairways.com/convertmiles. If you transfer hotel points to Dividend Miles, you can earn one hit (with a maximum of one hit per hotel family). You have to earn a minimum of 850 Dividend Miles from each transfer in order to qualify as a hit. If you transfer 25,000 miles from Starwood you only get one hit, even if you transfer from Starwood again. However, if you transfer 5,000 miles from Starwood and 3,000 miles from Marriott you earn two hits.
.
ˆBack to top
.
How can I earn hits for hotel stays?
You earn one hit for every mileage-earning hotel stay with a maximum of 6 hits. Earn your hits from the same partner (6 stays with Hilton = 6 hits) or from different hotel partners. For example, if you stay with Hilton on September 15 and again on October 1, you’ll earn two hits. If you stay twice with Hilton and twice with Marriott during the promotion then you’ll earn four hits, two hits from Hilton and two hits from Marriott. You must earn at least 200 Dividend Miles for each stay in order for the stay to qualify as a hit.
.
ˆBack to top
.
How can I earn hits for car rentals?
You earn one hit for every mileage-earning car rental with a maximum of 6 hits. Your hits can come from the same partner (for example 6 rentals with Avis = 6 hits) or from different partners. For example, if you rent from Avis on September 15 and again on October 1, you’ll earn two hits. If you rent twice from Avis and twice from Hertz during the promotion then you’ll earned four hits, two from Avis and two from Hertz. You must earn Dividend Miles for each car rental in order for the rental to qualify as a hit.
.
ˆBack to top
.
If I share miles with another Dividend Miles member, will we both get a hit?
Yes. When you share miles, they are moved from one account and into another. However, you can only earn a hit once, regardless of whether you give or receive miles.
.
ˆBack to top
.
How can I earn a hit for swapping miles?
If you swap out other program points or miles in to Dividend Miles at points.com, you will be credited with one hit. You can only earn one hit for swapping miles.
.
ˆBack to top
.
How can I earn a hit with the Shopping Mall?
Go to usairways.com/shop and enter your Dividend Miles number. Then choose your merchant, buy something and you’ll earn a maximum of one hit. You won’t earn a hit if you use coupons or gift cards, or if you buy gift cards. SkyMall does not count as a Shopping Mall hit, but it does count as its own hit.
.
ˆBack to top
.
Can I use the Dividend Miles toolbar to earn hits?
Yes! Once you’ve downloaded the toolbar to your computer, just complete 3 mileage earning searches and you’ll earn a hit. But you can only do it once for it to count as a hit.
.
ˆBack to top
.
What if I shop with different merchants in the Shopping Mall? Will I earn more hits?
No. You can only earn one hit with the Shopping Mall, no matter the number of merchants you use.
.
ˆBack to top
.
Am I eligible to participate?
You must be a Dividend Miles member to participate. The Dividend Miles Grand Slam promotion is not a game of chance, lottery or contest. It is open to all Dividend Miles members except where prohibited by local law.
.
ˆBack to top
.
What are Preferred-qualifying miles?
Preferred-qualifying miles are Dividend Miles that count towards maintaining or reaching Preferred status in our Dividend Miles program.
.
ˆBack to top
.
Will the Preferred-qualifying miles I earn count towards my 2012 Preferred status?
Yes. Preferred-qualifying miles will post with a 2011activity date and count towards your 2012 Preferred status.
.
ˆBack to top
.
If I’m not Preferred status can I earn all of the bonus miles in Grand Slam?
No. You must be Preferred status in order to earn the miles in the 40th bonus tier. If you are not currently Preferred you may earn a hit by purchasing Preferred status or Trial Preferred status. Just make sure your Preferred status is active when you make your 40th for hit or you will not qualify for the final bonus.
flyerfrog is offline  
Old Aug 21, 11, 2:43 am
  #2  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 253
First thing that stands out is the minimums on hotel transfers and hotel stays.
flyerfrog is offline  
Old Aug 21, 11, 4:22 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: BZN
Programs: AA:Lifetime Plat DL:Lifetime Silver UA:1P MAR:Lifetime Tit
Posts: 8,287
Awesome news. Now let's get the optimization tips rolling...

Originally Posted by flyerfrog View Post
First thing that stands out is the minimums on hotel transfers and hotel stays.
850/transfer & 200/stay DM minimums required. Not all that bad.
mooper is offline  
Old Aug 21, 11, 4:38 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Now in Oz
Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Posts: 2,246
Originally Posted by mooper View Post
850/transfer DM minimums required. Not all that bad.
Only cuts out Club Carlson minimum transfer and SPG top tier 1 point transfers. Shame - I thought I had CC in the bank!
louie-m is offline  
Old Aug 21, 11, 4:54 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 7,599
So there's a 40th hit (at least) and 7000 miles for the second batch of four. Sounds good so far.
josephstern is offline  
Old Aug 21, 11, 5:59 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,397
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
So there's a 40th hit (at least) and 7000 miles for the second batch of four. Sounds good so far.
I like it - only 3,000 for the first four hits, but it seems like they are backloading it more if you earn 7,000 with the next four hits.
lowfareair is offline  
Old Aug 21, 11, 6:22 am
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Posts: 1,628
Thumbs down GS 2011 = crap

Originally Posted by flyerfrog View Post
I have two US Airways MasterCard credit cards (or two US Airways Visa cards). Can I earn two hits on both cards?
No. You can only earn one hit per card type, regardless of the number of cards you have. There are five card types: US Airways MasterCard, US Airways Business MasterCard, US Airways Visa, US Airways Visa Business Card, and US Airways Visa Debit Card.[/B]
--> nice cheap/free hits for us residents. discriminating for all others. despite having a us ssn, i don't get a us cc, not even a secured one



Originally Posted by flyerfrog View Post
How can I earn hits for hotel transfers?
You can transfer your hotel points into Dividend Miles at the hotel’s program website or visit usairways.com/convertmiles. If you transfer hotel points to Dividend Miles, you can earn one hit (with a maximum of one hit per hotel family). You have to earn a minimum of 850 Dividend Miles from each transfer in order to qualify as a hit. If you transfer 25,000 miles from Starwood you only get one hit, even if you transfer from Starwood again. However, if you transfer 5,000 miles from Starwood and 3,000 miles from Marriott you earn two hits.[/B]
--> no more SPG hit for 1 mile



Originally Posted by flyerfrog View Post
How can I earn hits for hotel stays?
You earn one hit for every mileage-earning hotel stay with a maximum of 6 hits. Earn your hits from the same partner (6 stays with Hilton = 6 hits) or from different hotel partners. For example, if you stay with Hilton on September 15 and again on October 1, you’ll earn two hits. If you stay twice with Hilton and twice with Marriott during the promotion then you’ll earn four hits, two hits from Hilton and two hits from Marriott. You must earn at least 200 Dividend Miles for each stay in order for the stay to qualify as a hit.[/B]
--> cheap wynhhamrewards hotels (e.g. super 8 for 30 $) won't count



Originally Posted by flyerfrog View Post
If I’m not Preferred status can I earn all of the bonus miles in Grand Slam?
No. You must be Preferred status in order to earn the miles in the 40th bonus tier. If you are not currently Preferred you may earn a hit by purchasing Preferred status or Trial Preferred status. Just make sure your Preferred status is active when you make your 40th for hit or you will not qualify for the final bonus.
--> boah, must purchase such a useless status for expensive money!?


ABSOLUTE CRAPPPPPPP this year!!!! I think I won't make all hits this year, seems to be too expensive
Zurich Flyer is offline  
Old Aug 21, 11, 8:39 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Programs: US Air, United
Posts: 95
I don't remember them posting a FAQ last year in advance of the registration. Does anyone remember if they did this last year and if so how long after that they registration opened? I am traveling this week and could score some hits so I have my fingers crossed that it will open soon.
cmckee1961 is offline  
Old Aug 21, 11, 8:46 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Posts: 4,549
Originally Posted by cmckee1961 View Post
I don't remember them posting a FAQ last year in advance of the registration. Does anyone remember if they did this last year and if so how long after that they registration opened? I am traveling this week and could score some hits so I have my fingers crossed that it will open soon.
Last year there was no pre-released FAQ. we did have a crafty FT'er find the promo page before it was announced though. I'd imagine this will start around Sept 1, thats the trend from prior years.
dcpatti is offline  
Old Aug 21, 11, 8:51 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Posts: 4,549
Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer View Post
--> nice cheap/free hits for us residents. discriminating for all others. despite having a us ssn, i don't get a us cc, not even a secured one

--> no more SPG hit for 1 mile

--> cheap wynhhamrewards hotels (e.g. super 8 for 30 $) won't count

--> boah, must purchase such a useless status for expensive money!?

ABSOLUTE CRAPPPPPPP this year!!!! I think I won't make all hits this year, seems to be too expensive
I think these changes are in direct response to last year's promo, especially the SPG 1 point transfer which was used abundantly by FT'ers and was blogged and tweeted repeatedly. In suggest if/when we find similar loopholes this year, people use a little restraint and bloggers resist the urge to hype them everywhere or else next year they'll be gone too. As for the 40th hit requiring status, some may feel it's a gimmick designed to force you to purchase status; I, however, feel it's a reward for those who actually fly US, and I don't mind one bit that they want to throw their actual customers a bone now and then.
dcpatti is offline  
Old Aug 21, 11, 9:10 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Programs: US Air, United
Posts: 95
I called Tech support and said "I am reading the FAQ and it says I have to register, but I can not find the link to register". They said:
** The period to earn hits will be Sept. 14th -Nov. 14th 2011
Registration will be at:
usairways.com/grandslam
They don't know when it will go live.
You will be able to call and register but they don't have that capacity on their end yet.
cmckee1961 is offline  
Old Aug 21, 11, 9:26 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHX
Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Posts: 4,346
I expected the hotel minimums; in fact we were speculating on it on the main board.

Most noticeable to me are that bonus tiers are different. It looks like if the faq hold it will be 3k and 10k for 4 and 8 hits respectively, as compared to 4k and 8k last year. Also the top tier is 40 hits.
lkar is offline  
Old Aug 21, 11, 9:57 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: BZN
Programs: AA:Lifetime Plat DL:Lifetime Silver UA:1P MAR:Lifetime Tit
Posts: 8,287
Originally Posted by dcpatti View Post
I suggest if/when we find similar loopholes this year, people use a little restraint and bloggers resist the urge to hype them everywhere...
Dear Santa, Please bring me a horse, another brother, and a house filled with candy.

Great ideas, wishful thinking

Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer View Post
--> nice cheap/free hits for us residents. discriminating for all others. despite having a us ssn, i don't get a us cc, not even a secured one
--> no more SPG hit for 1 mile
--> cheap wynhhamrewards hotels (e.g. super 8 for 30 $) won't count
--> boah, must purchase such a useless status for expensive money!?

ABSOLUTE CRAPPPPPPP this year!!!! I think I won't make all hits this year, seems to be too expensive
Seems they are discriminating against unprofitable activity. Their prerogative, and logical.
mooper is offline  
Old Aug 21, 11, 10:10 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHX
Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Posts: 4,346
Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer View Post
--> boah, must purchase such a useless status for expensive money!?
Well, it looks as though status will only allow you to earn hits number 37-40, so I don't know how much of a perq it is. Who knows how many extra miles that will be.

If you don't travel on business extensively, by the time you got to hits 36-40, the hits tended to be pretty expensive last year. I think by the time I was at 36, I was at the point where additional hits would have cost me in the neighborhood of at least $50 because I'd stripped all the low hanging and middle hanging fruit.

So, even if the jump from 36 to 40 hits is another 20k miles, you're really only talking about getting that last 20k for 1 cpm, which is not exactly a huge deal from a US perspective, since they routinely sell them for not much more than that.
lkar is offline  
Old Aug 21, 11, 10:17 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MYR
Programs: US silver , spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
Posts: 445
Originally Posted by flyerfrog View Post
http://shopping.usairways.com/en-US/...dslamfaqs.html

Here is the text:


.
How do I earn hits with my credit or debit card?
You earn one hit for one spend with each US Airways credit or debit card partner during the promotional period (date you register through November 14, 2011). The miles can come from first use or your daily spending. Remember that credit and debit card miles post based on your statement closing date, not on the date you sign-up for a new card or use your card.
.
ˆBack to top
.
I have two US Airways MasterCard credit cards (or two US Airways Visa cards). Can I earn two hits on both cards?
No. You can only earn one hit per card type, regardless of the number of cards you have. There are five card types: US Airways MasterCard, US Airways Business MasterCard, US Airways Visa, US Airways Visa Business Card, and US Airways Visa Debit Card.
.
.
Where can you find information on the visa credit card. I checked both us airs site and boa and all I could find was the visa debit.
beachbrew is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread