Search

Grand Slam 2011 FAQ is up

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2011, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Originally Posted by iang000
--> cheap wynhhamrewards hotels (e.g. super 8 for 30 $) won't count

Yes but there are plenty of Choice Hotels and a few BW's that still qualify. They are still earning 250 miles a stay and there are many under the $40 a night price. For the 6 hits allowed you might have to dish out an extra $60 this year compared to last year. The owner of the hotel in Cleveland TN is not going to have as much fun this year! No shows only count with Wyndham and at 2 miles per dollar you need to spend $100 per hit...ouch!
again wrong. take a hawthorn suite and pay ~ 60 $ per night @:-)
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:41 pm
Used to be highman123

Multi-day reservation

This has probably been asked before but it may be relevant this year for new readers like me.

I have a couple of real hotel stays coming up in China before Nov. 14th. I'm happy to try Wyndham for a change (hotels are soooo cheap in China) - if I make 5 consecutive reservations for a 5 night stay (so I'm 'checking in and out' every morning) - will that earn me 5 hits?

Or do I have to be in separate properties for this?

Last edited by MightyTravels; Aug 22, 2011 at 1:03 am
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:01 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by highman123
This has probably been asked a before but it may be relevant this year for new readers like me again.

I have a couple of real hotel stays coming up in China before Nov. 14th. I'm happy to try Wyndham for a change (hotels are soo cheap in China) - if I make 5 consecutive reservations for a 5 night stay (so I'm 'checking in and out' every morning) - will that earn me 5 hits?

Good question. When earning hotel status, this won't count as separate stays in most programs. But when earning miles in an airline partner, I suspect this may vary from hotel program to program and airline to airline.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:01 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, LH SEN, TB Emerald
Originally Posted by highman123
This has probably been asked before but it may be relevant this year for new readers like me.

I have a couple of real hotel stays coming up in China before Nov. 14th. I'm happy to try Wyndham for a change (hotels are soooo cheap in China) - if I make 5 consecutive reservations for a 5 night stay (so I'm 'checking in and out' every morning) - will that earn me 5 hits?

You have to be in separate properties AND perhaps you dont get enough points for a hit (min. 200/Stay - e.g. Super8 only honor US$*2 so a minimum of 100US$ spend a night)
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
^ Since I was going to do a blog that would have essentially reinvented the wheel, I'm killing that idea.

As for the extra four hits for US status, I have no problem with that (and I don't have status). I think they should give their most loyal people something extra.

Raised transfer limits are no fun but to be expected. That was too easy a hit last year. Also, I got frequent hits from lunch at Starwood properties last year, which won't happen.

For me, the promo isn't going to be worth what it was worth last year, but it looks like US made some intelligent business decisions.

Mike
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: US Gold, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by starflyer
I doubt that's the case. US Airways tweeted the following on 16 August 2011:
Get ready to join the big leagues. Dividend Miles Grand Slam is back and bigger than ever! Stay tuned…
I don't believe that 100,000 miles for 40 hits is bigger than last year's 100,000 miles for 36 hits.

Well, since they didn't do/haven't done H/S/J this year, wouldn't it be just truly incredible that hits 37-40 counted towards status elevation/retention?

That would make it bigger than ever!

Just a thought...
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:36 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by tovaz
Well, since they didn't do/haven't done H/S/J this year, wouldn't it be just truly incredible that hits 37-40 counted towards status elevation/retention?

Great. Now you're putting new ideas into my head.

But my guess is that getting to the 40th hit will give Preferreds another 20,000-25,000 miles beyond the 100,000 miles already earned for 36 hits.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: US Gold, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Great. Now you're putting new ideas into my head.

But my guess is that getting to the 40th hit will give Preferreds another 20,000-25,000 miles beyond the 100,000 miles already earned for 36 hits.
It's not out of the stretch of the imagination to think that those miles might be PQM...after 100K, the last thing I need is more bonus miles, but seeing how my current year status is progressing, 10K, 20K or even 25K PQMs would be something else!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
To clarify: You aren't saying there are BW properties that DON'T qualify --- just that there are only a few that are super cheap, right?
Originally Posted by iang000
--> cheap wynhhamrewards hotels (e.g. super 8 for 30 $) won't count

Yes but there are plenty of Choice Hotels and a few BW's that still qualify. They are still earning 250 miles a stay and there are many under the $40 a night price. For the 6 hits allowed you might have to dish out an extra $60 this year compared to last year. The owner of the hotel in Cleveland TN is not going to have as much fun this year! No shows only count with Wyndham and at 2 miles per dollar you need to spend $100 per hit...ouch!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Lots of nice Best Westerns in your part of Europe -- no need to fly TATL -- just book, stay, enjoy!
Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
do you really think i would waste 30 $ per night? wrong, wrong, wrong! the deal is 4 nights at a wydnham rewards hotel (i.e. 4 x 30 $) give me 30k Wyndham points = 12k US miles. that strategy still pays off. would have been much better if the four no-show nights would also - on the same time - have given me four hits. another problem with best westerns and other crap: you need to check-in. how can i fly tatl for a check-in?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA AS DL UA US WN Choice Gold, BW Diamond, PClub Plat, HHonnors Gold, Marriott, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
do you really think i would waste 30 $ per night? wrong, wrong, wrong! the deal is 4 nights at a wydnham rewards hotel (i.e. 4 x 30 $) give me 30k Wyndham points = 12k US miles. that strategy still pays off. would have been much better if the four no-show nights would also - on the same time - have given me four hits. another problem with best westerns and other crap: you need to check-in. how can i fly tatl for a check-in?
Sure, but that results in a point transfer hit and not hotel hit. If you book a BW or Choice hotel in the US, I'll be happy to check in for you and stay the night if I like the place.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,

That would make it bigger than ever!

Just a thought...
Ohhh I hadn't considered that... that would be dreamy. I'll just barely squeak by to be CP again but my Mr is far short and this would really put a smile on both of our faces as we'd not have to spend one of our very few remaining free weekends flying to wherever and back!

after 100K, the last thing I need is more bonus miles
Blashpemey. You can never be too rich or too thin and you can never have too many RDM.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA AS DL UA US WN Choice Gold, BW Diamond, PClub Plat, HHonnors Gold, Marriott, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by slocouple
To clarify: You aren't saying there are BW properties that DON'T qualify --- just that there are only a few that are super cheap, right?
Yes, that is what I meant. There aren't too many BW's in the US that are under $40 per night. I did stay at one in LAS in July which was $39.99 prepaid. There is a Rodeway near where I live which costs about $32 per night plus tax. I think I'll be checking in there a few times then sleeping at home and returning the next morning to check out. This of course will be after 9/14/11.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Yeah the hotel stays could get trickier, but at least there's no minimum $ spent on car rentals... And right now I can get a Smart Car at my local hertz rental office for weekend day for $19 ($22 with tax)!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:31 pm

Don't know about Hertz, but be very, very careful to check to see if off-airport rentals earn miles (and therefore, hits.) We had 4 Avis rentals not count last year before we figured out that Avis off-airport are non-mileage-earning.
Originally Posted by canesfan
Yeah the hotel stays could get trickier, but at least there's no minimum $ spent on car rentals... And right now I can get a Smart Car at my local hertz rental office for weekend day for $19 ($22 with tax)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.