Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA scrapes bottom of barrel: Op upgrade CDG-ORD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2002, 12:33 pm
mph
Original Poster

Programs: No status

OK, so this post is mostly just a gloat.

I was in Paris for a conference last week, flying LAX-ORD-CDG / CDG-ORD-LAX since UA isn't kind enough to offer a nonstop these days. My flights there in E+ were nice (10A on the 763 and 17A on the 777), but as soon as I got to Paris, I came down with some horrible virus and never felt right the whole trip... didn't even have an appetite for all the nice food.

The conference ended at lunchtime Saturday (the 27th), and I was scheduled to fly home Wednesday the 31st, allowing some extra time in Paris. Since I wasn't feeling well, I looked into returning early. (Note: UA's French number on the ticket jacket and website seems to be wrong. Dialing 0810 instead of 0801 works better. Actually, www.united.fr gets it right.) Anyway, they couldn't switch me to Sunday or Monday's flights because they had no availability, so I stuck with my original date.

Wednesday morning, still feeling crappy, I make my way to CDG via the Air France bus, check in and check my bags, make the journey to Satellite 1 in the hopes of finding some duty-free and a cafe, discover that there's nothing out there, return to the terminal, spend some time and money, and finally wander back to my Satellite and go through the metal detector. As we're waiting to board, I found myself next to someone else who was at the conference, and we start talking. Out of the corner of my ear, I thought I heard my last name being called, but I wasn't sure and didn't hurry off to check. At the boarding pass reader, my BP is "rejected" and I'm sent over to a terminal with a CSR, who types a little, takes my stub, crosses out 19A, and writes 8F. I think she said something about "business" in Franglish.

Smiling, I head to the plane, walk through first, and showing utter unfamiliarity with the business class cabin, walk right past rows 8 and 9, realize my mistake and make a big U-turn behind the galleys. Anyway, this was my first time in the front cabin, ever, and it was by far the best part of my ill-fated trip. I even mustered enough appetite to eat about 1/3 of the sirloin and all of the potatoes au gratin. But none of the wines since I was sick!

I don't know how I scored the upgrade... must not have been anyone with status on the plane, since I'm a lowly Premier. I was dressed OK (khakis and a conservative print shirt) and generally say my pleases and thank yous, but was feeling lousy enough that I certainly wasn't "chummy" with any UA staff.

Anyway, thanks, UA. But it's kind of sad to know that I've burned so much karma!
Old Aug 1, 2002, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some may say Premier doesn't get you much, but it certainly puts you above about 80% of the other pax in situations like this.

And that's all it took, this time.

Congrats!
Old Aug 1, 2002, 12:50 pm

Way to go! Looks like they had to work the old DM list past 1K and 1Ps....

And I agree about the LAX-ORD-CDG ordeal. It's time for the nonstop to come back. I avoid the ORD trip when I can, I find that I handle the SFO-LAX sector better than the ORD-LAX. Plus, there are more frequent flights so I can hop on an earlier departure if I clear customs fast.

Are they finally done with the repair work in Satellite 1?

[This message has been edited by Droneklax (edited 08-01-2002).]
Old Aug 1, 2002, 1:07 pm
mph
Original Poster

Programs: No status
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Droneklax:
And I agree about the LAX-ORD-CDG ordeal. It's time for the nonstop to come back. I avoid the ORD trip when I can, I find that I handle the SFO-LAX sector better than the ORD-LAX. Plus, there are more frequent flights so I can hop on an earlier departure if I clear customs fast.
</font>
Yeah, I have to say that if you're not feeling well, the whole immigration/customs/recheck/train/security/neon passageway sequence at ORD isn't much fun. Maybe I was just used to the Mtro, but doesn't seem like the ORD trains sit there with their doors open for a ridiculously long time?

In picking my connection city, I chose ORD because I figured I'd rather break up the flying into more equal pieces, instead of the really long SFO-CDG flight. Of course, if I knew I'd be spending the transatlantic segment in C, I'd choose differently...

I actually put off ticketing this trip, hoping that UA would reinstate LAX-CDG during the high season. I really thought that they were going to. And the fact that I was upgraded on a Wednesday suggests that there's some pretty strong demand.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Are they finally done with the repair work in Satellite 1?</font>
I didn't notice any work. Can't say I noticed anything that looked very new, either!

[This message has been edited by mph (edited 08-01-2002).]
Old Aug 1, 2002, 3:23 pm

Speaking of the bottom of the barrel...

My in-laws were operationally upgraded on the CDG-SFO nonstop on July 4. They have no status, and were flying on a Hotwire ticket!

So it does happen...
Old Aug 1, 2002, 3:42 pm

Speaking of the bottom of the barrel...

My in-laws...

Old Aug 1, 2002, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott LT Titanium
I was booked on UA 961 CDG-SFO-LAX yesterday and they needed volunteers.

It was my 3rd trip to Paris in 4 months and those flights have been jammed everytime. Obviously this is good news for UA, but I would LOVE to see a n/s LAX-CDG!

Oh yeah, I volunteered and was given an u/g to business to IAD and $400 voucher; got into LAX about 90 min later than planned.

I paid a high price on the IAD-LAX leg as I was on a tiny A320 and stuck in E-; after 7.5 hrs in C, 5.5 in E- is really tough to take.

Congrats on your Op U/G! I had my first on LHR-LAX two weeks ago and it was great!

Kevin

Old Aug 1, 2002, 3:55 pm

I had a feeling someone would catch that.

But in this case, it's just a coincidental juxtaposition. My in-laws are, apparently atypically, wonderful people. Really!
Old Aug 1, 2002, 4:01 pm

My boss a 2P just got back from London and was op upgraded LHR-ORD. I suppose with all the planes to and from Europe full of vacationers, that they are op upgradeing anyone with status they can find.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
I flew IAD-CDG and CDG-IAD back in February, and was op-upgraded in BOTH directions. Woo hoo!
Old Aug 1, 2002, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
I'm a 2P and was op upgraded on the notorious NRT-Bangkok several weeks ago. So beautiful.

Couldn't clear on the return and sat in E- on the transpac 777 from hell.
Old Aug 2, 2002, 12:42 am

Programs: UA 1P
My first international trip as 1P - I was flying SFO-LAX-AKL with a friend (2P on the same reservation) in March and the check in agent at the Premier counter in the domestic terminal in SFO was having a bit of a problem with our tickets. He told me that there was no reservation in the system for us, although I had my PNR and printed ticket in hand.

I said "Well, so what do we do? I have to get to New Zealand and I'm supposed to be on this flight. Can you get me on it?" to which he basically responded "Sorry, but I really can't help you. The flight is full and this reservation is not in the system. There must have been a problem with the booking. Perhaps it's an error on your travel agent's part." Basically, he was't very forthcoming with a solution, and was a bit surly to be honest.

It was after 6pm, but luckily I had my travel agent's personal phone number. I called her up right there from the check-in counter on my mobile, and lo and behold, she was at her computer working late. I explained to her what was happening, and she told me "that doesn't make any sense. Can you pass the phone to the agent please?"

Passed my phone to the agent, heard some hemming and hawing, and more than a few loud words from the other end, followed by the agent saying "oh.. um... oh yeah.. I see it... yes, thank you" at which point the agent handed me back my phone.

He looks at me, says sorry about that. Seems that the record was somewhere other than where he was looking, and as the machine spit out the both of our boarding passes, he says to me "wow, look at that, you're flying in business class."

I tried to not look too surprised, but was dying to know if he meant for the SFO-LAX leg, or the LAX-AKL leg (which was the 13 hour leg that I would have dyed for an upgrade!)

I casually replied "Am I in C from here to LA or from LA to AKL?"

Agent replied; "That would be from LAX to AKL, and I'm really sorry about that mixup earlier, Mr &lt;househead&gt;. I hope you have a wonderful trip!"

My first Operational Upgrade, on my first international flight as 1P and I throughly enjoyed all 13 hours of it. The only thing that was unfortunate was climbing aboard a prop-jet in AKL for a short hop on Air NZ to Wellington. Felt quite cramped after the trans-pacific pampering.

That was a big star in my book for UA!

(always crossing my fingers...)
-househead

[This message has been edited by househead (edited 08-02-2002).]

[This message has been edited by househead (edited 08-02-2002).]
Old Aug 2, 2002, 8:59 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OUTSTANDING!!!

You guys have much better luck than me!
Old Aug 2, 2002, 10:15 am

a friend of mine was also operationally upgraded on a flight stateside out of CDG. my assumption is that summer fares to Paris are both expensive and primarily purchased by tourists, thus accounting for the overbooking in the back of the plane.
Old Aug 2, 2002, 10:45 am

Programs: UA *Gold (1 MM)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by roberto99:
OUTSTANDING!!!

You guys have much better luck than me!</font>
Just a short note to let you know you are not alone roberto99 I have never gotten an op. upgrade as a 1K, but I did get some upgrades a few years ago as a 2P or 1P on the LHR-SFO route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.