Wiki Posts
Search

Lifetime Mileage / Change of Status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Lifetime Mileage / Change of Status

Dear all,
after checking my UA MP account, which I have not used for a longer period - last miles in were in 2001, i find that it shows an original program balance of 0. Is there anywhere else that one can look in terms of what one has acrued over the years ?
I joinde MP in 1993 and reached 1 K for 1999 whilst living in the uS for two years, splitting my travels / mileage between UA and LH M&M where I have had a SEN = 1K status since 1995. Since the rules are changing in the LH M&M it does not seem to interesting anymore to put all miles in that program, I am currently qualifying twice for LH SEN on German rules annually and hence I wanted to activate my MP account again and build towards 1 MM ( curious what benefit there would be in that and how it is achieved ?) Basis is my last recollection of having something between 300 K and 400 K total miles flown on UA MP (Not award miles)
Would segemnts come into play - I have about 300 p.a on LH

Any input is appreciated.

Cheers

Thomas

Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Million Mile Flyer status is awarded to a member who has flown a total of one million actual flight miles on United, United Shuttle (history) or United Express (code share, alliance status miles, status bonuses, fare bonuses or any other bonus miles do not count) since joining Mileage Plus.

The United 500 mile minimums do count.

You can not earn this status on segments.

Million Mile Flyers are given Lifetime Premier Executive (Star Gold) status. They no longer need to fly the normally required minimums for Premier Executive status and can leisurely enjoy their Lifetime Premier Executive benefits into their golden years.

A Million Mile Flyer who also still qualifies for 1K status under normal qualification rules, can hold what is the ultimate status level within Mileage Plus1K Million Mile Flyer.

The qualifying Million Mile Flyer receives a special one-time Credentials Kit that contains:

- Their Premier Executive or 1K Card with Million Mile Flyer designation.

- "Thanks a Million" Welcome Letter.

- 3 Confirmed One-Way Systemwide Upgrade Certificates

And that's pretty much it.

There is no evidence that Million Mile Flyers get higher status than regular 1Ks or Premier Executives on waitlists and such. But they are certainly afforded higher recognition in the air and on the ground by having their accounts, check-in screens, and Onboard Manifests highlighted with their special Million Mile status.

You can call the Mileage Plus Service Center to get your MM qualifing totals.

I'm not 100% certain anymore that the "Total United Flight Miles In Program" on your paper statement is currently the same as your MM stats, due to some recent status bonuses that have been given out.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 08-01-2002).]
Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
The only place I know to go for year to date segments is http://my.mileageplus.com

I was hoping I might find lifetime miles there, too. Alas, no.

The only place I've seen it is on my paper statements.

Anyone else?
Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tcswede:
Would segemnts come into play - I have about 300 p.a on LH</font>
Actually, 2000 segments will get you lifetime status.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

gleff writes:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Actually, 2000 segments will get you lifetime status.</font>
On United? I haven't heard of that. In fact, I just called a friend at MP when I read that and he said "No. Just flight miles," and that "We don't even keep a database of lifetime segments."

And certainly segments on LH wouldn't count, as United's Million Mile flyer program is outside of the Star Alliance program.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 08-01-2002).]
Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, PremEx, I was kind of joking.

2000 segments x 500 miles minimum = 1,000,000 miles.

Of course, in the olden days the Sh*ttle didn't offer the 500 mile minimum. So, I guess it would be 2000 segments starting a couple years ago...

(And, while I'm not sure this counts towards the 1MM at all, the UX flights that were operated by the CO express carrier out of MIA/MCO only earned 250 miles.)

Edited to say -- I didn't even notice the original post was referring to LH segments! I guess I'm better off keeping my wisenheimer trap shut sometimes...

[This message has been edited by gleff (edited 08-01-2002).]
Old Aug 1, 2002, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, I get it now.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2021-22-23-24;Formerly a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold (way back)
Your "original program miles" of 0 isn't connected to your lifetime United flight miles.

The original Mileage Plus program had some nice features, including miles that never expired, and good rewards. When United realized that the program was too generous, it changed the program, tightened the rules, and made miles expire. In response to a class action lawsuit IIRC, United agreed to segregate original program miles from new program miles. People with OPM could still get the OPM rewards, or something similar, and use the OPM for things that were more expensive with NPM. (The late Law Lord Sr. had a pile of OPM, which took Mrs. Law Lord Sr., her sister, and me to Hong Kong in style after he died.)

My paper statement shows my lifetime UA flight miles; yours should too. I don't think that you can check your lifetime miles on the website.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 1:55 pm
jss

Programs: UA 1P (1MM), AA PLT (2MM)
PremEx you left out one item from the laundry list of benefits:
2 Confirmed North American Upgrades each year--deposited in January.

The one non-tangible benefit is that you do get a lot of "thanks for your continued business" remarks at CTO's, etc...Picked up some tickets (in actuality it is now dropping off coupons)yesterday and the agent noting that I had MMF status thanked me for supporting United.

Old Aug 1, 2002, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jss wrote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">PremEx you left out one item from the laundry list of benefits:
2 Confirmed North American Upgrades each year--deposited in January.</font>
That's because that's the first I've ever heard of that. So...

I just called my friend at MP and he says that there is currently no such benefit.

I've certainly never received any extras as a 1K Million Miler, nor have any of the other Million Milers that I know.

He speculates you might be seeing an issue that confused many others at the beginning of this year, when they switched the time frame in which the earned HK49s are posted.

If you see 2 posted in January (12th?)...those are from the 10K min you flew in the 4th Quarter of the previous year.

If you see 2 more posted in say February, those are 1st Quarter 2002 ones that just posted sooner due to the change in the time frame when these are credited. That began at the first of this year (they used to only be credited in the month after the Quarter in which you earned them).

He said there was much confusion about all this at the beginning of the year. He said that if someone at MP told you that you got them for being a Million Mile Flyer, they probably gave you some bum info.

I had him read the entire Million Mile Flyer profile for me, and I did leave one item out however...

Million Mile Flyer's miles never expire. They don't have to have any activity once every 3 years as do all other members.

Not that that's any big deal, really.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 3:20 pm

Programs: MM,flyer AA,UA, LH Senator
AS a IK MM Flyer I never received any HK 49 upgrades annually except for those quarters where 10k miles are flown. MM status doesn't count for much IK status means more FWIW.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 7:41 pm
jss

Programs: UA 1P (1MM), AA PLT (2MM)
I received the 2-HK49's and was told by MP it was due from MMF status. Perhaps non-1K MMF's receive? In any case I thought I saw it printed somewhere too--I will have to try and find.

Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suggest you just call Mileage Plus and ask.

You can even ask for the generating source of the HK49s in question. They will be able to tell you if they were linked to a 10K Quarterly, A Summer From Hell Gift, a replacement, etc, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.