Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Employee Uniforms Coming.....2011

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:19 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by UAflyer06
From an internal memo. "committed to a complete uniform replacement program for 2011 that will enable a higher level of pride to better reflect your professionalism and the airline we are becoming."

What would you, our best customers, like to see? And, let's keep this clean...lol.
==============================
Are we talking only about FA uniforms or ground staff as well ?
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Hopefully UA can get a good American designer to whip them up some fab. Richard Tyler did a great job for Delta.

There are the mainstream biggies like Calvin Klein, Donna Karan, Ralph Lauren, Michael Kors, Marc Jacobs, Zac Posen, Isaac Mizrahi, etc. Or maybe some up and coming designer.

Or they'll just go with a "friend" of Glenn who designs clothes for Walmart.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:24 pm

Programs: second-tier member of various hotel and airline programs
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer

I do not believe that that is the primary duty of an FA, whether male or female. I believe that the "FAs are primarily here for your safety" is just a line used by some FAs to lower passengers' expectations for service, and make their own jobs easier.

Hmmm...I hope this isn't true. If the language is optional and not scripted by UA, it inappropriately allows FAs to mislead pax about their (FAs') job responsibilities. I cannot think of another service industry in which such behavior would be tolerated by paying customers.

But, getting back to the uniforms, don't we think authority is better conveyed by words, actions, and demeanor than by a couple of faux chevrons on the shoulder? Does UA really think people in the main cabin of the plane are that benighted? I'll answer my own question now -- yes I think they do.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:45 pm

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Hopefully UA can get a good American designer to whip them up some fab. Richard Tyler did a great job for Delta.

There are the mainstream biggies like Calvin Klein, Donna Karan, Ralph Lauren, Michael Kors, Marc Jacobs, Zac Posen, Isaac Mizrahi, etc. Or maybe some up and coming designer.

Or they'll just go with a "friend" of Glenn who designs clothes for Walmart.
My vote goes to Ralph Lauren.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:30 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Airline uniforms should capture the excitement of flight and world travel. That is why I love the LH uniforms with capes, pill boxes and bright scarfs. The new DL uniforms are also excellent. UA's uniforms for both men and women are tailored terribly and really don't capture that essence like they should, except perhaps for the wrap dress that some of the women wear.

Originally Posted by osxanalyst
My vote goes to Ralph Lauren.
No way. He designed the abomination that is the AA uniform. I like some of his stuff, but it makes no sense for an airline uniform.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
Originally Posted by the cranky banker
Speaking as a woman, I would like to see clothing for the female cabin staff that reflects the FA's primary duty -- securing and maintaining the safety of passengers while in the plane. So -- anything with a skirt should be selected for comfort and decency (in case an FA has to get down on the ground, or bend over). Shoes should NOT have high heels (perhaps this has already been addressed by the FA union -- I seem to see more sensible shoes than before) and clothing should be selected on the basis that styles look OK with comfort shoes and not high heels.

Taken as a job family, female cabin staff on airlines seem to be stuck with some of the most inappropriate and misogynistic uniforms of any service industry I can imagine -- which suggests to me that airlines still think they should pander primarily to male boardroom mentality. Personally, I would rather be told what to do with my carry-on bag by someone in clean running shoes and well-fitting pants that have a little Lycra in them.

Ask Eileen Fisher to design the female FA uniforms -- her demographic matches UA's cabin staff perfectly.
Personally, I find your comments demeaning. Just because someone chooses to dress hot and in heels as a preference does not mean they are being pressed by boardroom mentality.

If skirts are preferred (by many I know - for some the shorter the better!), assume the "risks" of getting on the ground or bending over are well known. I respect your own personal preference, but feel you may be demeaning to females who choose to dress this way and are blaming male mentality when in some cases the opposite is true, preferred by females.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
Bring back those starched white shirts the FA's wore before we got these "wash and wear" oxford cloth blue shirts we see now. They looked sharper and more formal.

While you're at it UA, please do a better job enforcing the uniform and grooming standards that already exist. Everytime I see some sloppy male flight attendant walking down the aisle with collar opened, tie askew and sleeves rolled up like they are at afternoon Happy Hour, it makes me cringe...
Old Sep 28, 2009, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I like the UA uniforms now. If the FA's actually wear the skirts, scarfs, and hats, I see no reason for a change.

I like the 1968 uniforms too, but would hate to have to take a different airline if I wanted to fly to SEA...
Old Sep 28, 2009, 1:00 am

The uniform inflight staff uses is not really that dated, but the ground staff uniforms.. those are really screaming for a major overhaul !

Whatever it is I hope they don't "dress it down". Some employees look sloppy enough with the current uniform, relaxing things more is a cringe inducing prospect. Keep it classy

Enforcing grooming guidelines would also go a long way in improving things.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 2:00 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6710845.stm

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122877609256789273.html

Interesting that the airlines in non western countries give their customers some attractive standards to serve them in the air.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
Originally Posted by schley
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6710845.stm

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122877609256789273.html

Interesting that the airlines in non western countries give their customers some attractive standards to serve them in the air.
wow
+1
I have always thought the same about SQ's policy on Singapore Girls.

Western culture is obsessed by "rights", whereas other cultures are more obsessed by "responsibilities". The result is competing economies are actually more capitalistic than ours. It pushes the highest denominator instead of the lowest common one, even if it crosses into people's "rights". The individual right will not win out over the corporate employee/employer "responsibility" to be the strongest provider of service in competition for industry share and currency, leading to higher profitability.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:40 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Hmmm...I hope this isn't true. If the language is optional and not scripted by UA, it inappropriately allows FAs to mislead pax about their (FAs') job responsibilities. I cannot think of another service industry in which such behavior would be tolerated by paying customers.
We haven't heard it from an official source like United PR, but several UA FAs who post unofficially on FlyerTalk have stated that the "primarily here for your safety" line is not in UA's script, but is instead a line that the AFA (union) recommends that FAs add to the script! And that's why that line is included in the announcement on some, but not all, flights.

I think that when it comes to the union, UAL mgmt. tries to choose their battles. And the AFA knows that. So if the AFA had recommended that FAs make an announcement like "All passengers should come to the galley if they want a drink. There will be no cart service, and don't you dare ring the call button!" then mgmt. would push back.

But since the line AFA chose sounds faux-professional and is technically true (FAs "are here" because the FAA requires them for safety reasons), and the rejection of customer service is just implied...I think UA has allowed it to slide.

But, getting back to the uniforms, don't we think authority is better conveyed by words, actions, and demeanor than by a couple of faux chevrons on the shoulder? Does UA really think people in the main cabin of the plane are that benighted? I'll answer my own question now -- yes I think they do.
Sleeve stripes indicating rank seem to be popular among the uniform designers of Asian and European carriers...and those carriers tend to be known for having good customer service and junior employees who respond to authority. But of course, we don't know whether the rank stripes actually reinforce authority and responsibility, or whether the stripes and the employees' commitment to service are both just the effects of a cultural work ethic. i.e., the stripes may just be the effect rather than the cause.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Did't know that RL did the AA uniforms. The AA outfits are ugly, Iron Curtain work wear.

Personally, I'd pick Donna Karan in the group of major American designers. CK would be second.

I actually don't think UA's current outfits are that bad. Not in comparison to others.

Last edited by CApreppie; Sep 28, 2009 at 12:05 pm
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:21 am

Since opinions about pilot uniforms are pretty scarce on this thread, I'd rather just wear some "Dress-Down Friday" type attire and have the company just pay me in cash, my share of the money they're wasting on developing a new uniform. I can fly a jet just as well in flip-flops, cutoffs and a t-shirt in summer; sneakers, jeans and sweatshirt in the winter, as any other duds. I know it because my "other" job is just that. And my employers seem to have a lot more respect for me than UA management does!

B♮

Freshairborne
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by N1120A
Airline uniforms should capture the excitement of flight and world travel. That is why I love the LH uniforms with capes, pill boxes and bright scarfs.
Ever notice the yellow/gold color "bright scarfs" are actually LH corporate color on their logo ? If they design their uniform it has to incorporate the airline's corporate identity, they can't just change whatever bright color whatever they want. UA obvious stuck with blue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.